Scania R500 fault

i have a little problem with the Scania R500 that i drive.
when you take your foot off the accelorator, the brake lights come on. if you put your foot down again the lights won’t go out. the will only go out if you dip the clutch.
the brake lights work fine when stationary.
i’ve disconnected the accelorator switch, but then the accelorator dosn’t work.

any ideas?

check retarder

dingocatcher:
check retarder

the retarder is in the off position, and the switch is on “o”.

Try switching the retarder and exhaust brake off as it will be either 1 of these 2 that is operating the brake lights and not the accelator pedal

I second that check retarder is push right up.

Also another thing that drivers dont know about is if the weather is very cold and you turn the heating right up as soon as you start it the retarder will kick in as your driving to bring the engine up to temp. Used to do it a lot in Sweden with me in the winter so I read the hand book. The only way to stop it is to turn the temp down on climate control. Quite a nifty feature.

That second bit probably isn’t relevant but thought some might find it interesting.

205:
Try switching the retarder and exhaust brake off as it will be either 1 of these 2 that is operating the brake lights and not the accelator pedal

you’re right, when i take my foot off the accelorator, it sends a signal to switch on the retarder, but the auto retarder button is off, so it’s only opperating the brake lights, but the brake lights won’t go off again.

Is the truck holding back slightly when on the pull with everything switched off? Maybe the exhaust valve is sticking if it is

dingocatcher:
Is the truck holding back slightly when on the pull with everything switched off? Maybe the exhaust valve is sticking if it is

no, it drives how it should. that’s the strange thing.

Is it your truck? If not maybe you should let the boss sort it out. Can’t imagine many bosses would want drivers to go delving deep into the electrics on a modern truck.

sorted it. crap in the exhaust brake switch.
easy. :laughing:

limeyphil:
crap in the exhaust brake switch.

How often do you have to do that then? :open_mouth:

scottie0011:

limeyphil:
crap in the exhaust brake switch.

How often do you have to do that then? :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: brilliant

limeyphil:
when you take your foot off the accelorator, the brake lights come on. if you put your foot down again the lights won’t go out. the will only go out if you dip the clutch.

any ideas?

Switch to a DAF? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On the subject of R series faults, does anyone know where to start looking for a fault on the air clocks in the dash? Where to locate the wiring, common places to look. One clock is working on and off and the other has stopped completely and is right the way round as far as it will go.

niteliner:

limeyphil:

any ideas?

Switch to a DAF? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think he drives for an Irish company. Believe me you don’t want a DAF in Ireland, they shake themselves to bits. Quite nice trucks but well made their not. :slight_smile:

Dafs are ok if you are on the motorway all the time.
I’ve got a cf now on landfill work and it creeks bangs and groans off road like it’s on it’s last legs.

dingocatcher:
On the subject of R series faults, does anyone know where to start looking for a fault on the air clocks in the dash? Where to locate the wiring, common places to look. One clock is working on and off and the other has stopped completely and is right the way round as far as it will go.

I had that problem a while back put it into truckeast Wellingborough had a whole new dash clock face fitted they said it way the only way to fix it.

thetourist:

dingocatcher:

I had that problem a while back put it into truckeast Wellingborough had a whole new dash clock face fitted they said it way the only way to fix it.

Dam i was hoping for a broken wire! How much is a new clock face??

dingocatcher:

thetourist:

dingocatcher:

it will be a broken wire, best bet is to check the nearside under the grille there is 3 soleniods with plugs on them in the top corner, these operate the air guages if air 2 isnt workin switch the plugs around and see if this works that way you will no there is a break in the loom if it still doesnt work switch the solenoids around 16mm i think they are an see if it works then that way u wil no if you have a knackered solenoid, hope this helps

mark h:

dingocatcher:

thetourist:

dingocatcher:

it will be a broken wire, best bet is to check the nearside under the grille there is 3 soleniods with plugs on them in the top corner, these operate the air guages if air 2 isnt workin switch the plugs around and see if this works that way you will no there is a break in the loom if it still doesnt work switch the solenoids around 16mm i think they are an see if it works then that way u wil no if you have a knackered solenoid, hope this helps

Cheers, i will give that a go tomorrow. It was a intermittent fault at the start now only no1 gauge reads anything and even that is never right, the other just sits full of the clock all the time. Thanks again