Scania R480

I have little experience of lorrys but my truck doesn’t half seem gutless, is a 6x2 tag. For those that know it, climbing the slope Eastbound on the A303 just East of Solstice park Amesbury I am only able to do 40k with 39ton on board. Lots of trucks come past but obviously I do not know if they are loaded or not, had a bloke come to remap it (I hate chipping but) and the lappy could not talk to the ECU. In short, are they a gutless motor?

Normally they pull like a train even my merc at 44 t will do thoughs hills at 60 kmh

puntabrava:
I have little experience of lorrys but my truck doesn’t half seem gutless, is a 6x2 tag. For those that know it, climbing the slope Eastbound on the A303 just East of Solstice park Amesbury I am only able to do 40k with 39ton on board. Lots of trucks come past but obviously I do not know if they are loaded or not, had a bloke come to remap it (I hate chipping but) and the lappy could not talk to the ECU. In short, are they a gutless motor?

Defiantly something wrong with it get it put on the computer at your dealer should be pulling better than that

Must be a world different to the 440 then, cos ours wouldn’t pull you out of bed.

Might be a dirty/faulty turbo, is the boost gauge filling all the way to the top under full load? Disclaimer, I don’t know much about the gubbins.

“I am only able to do 40k with 39ton on board.”

!!!

Egr valve fault

Juddian:
Must be a world different to the 440 then, cos ours wouldn’t pull you out of bed.

lol 440 what were scania thinking of worst engine they have put in a lorry couldn’t pull the ■■■■ off of a snowman

If you have “39 ton on board” it might make it seem a tadge sluggish :laughing:

I told the dealer I thought it was gutless after the first day of having it, it has been in a few times for ‘probs’ and had the lappy on it, im surprised there is no way of measuring engine output of a lorry down here in southern England, is a fair old trip up to Feather diesel services.

Suedehead:
If you have “39 ton on board” it might make it seem a tadge sluggish :laughing:

Ok, I see where your coming from :laughing: 39 ton total weight.

As has been said egr and turbo probably 1st area to investigate.

Problem at the dealers will be they probably won’t really know what it does/doesn’t feel like with a load.

How old is it, you’re not saying its new are you?

Now, dont throw stuff at me,or laugh, but I had a similar problem with a Premium 420 dci, a number off years ago. I had driven the truck from new, and it had got too about 18month, when I noticed the power dropping and fuel consumption rising, anyway the dealer over the coarse of several weeks kept putting it on the computer and drawing a blank. Anyway I got so pee’d of after about 6 weeks of complaining and getting no where, that I rung the Gaffer told him I was leaving it at the dealer and would come back when it was sorted. it was duly sorted in one day (strange that). Problem valve clearances had gone out settings, and it was like a rocket ship after that, in fact better than when new. They’d put old boy fitter onto it, and he’d gone through the motor with a fine tooth combe, I saw him next service, he asked how it was performing and he told what he’d put right on it. sometimes no computors are required, just a knowledgable man with a spanner :wink:

We have plenty of r480’s and none of them run the same.
Some run like a 480 should, and some run fine, until going up a grade.
The not so good ones seems to run fine, but just don’t make the torque when it really needs it.

Then there are some that can not decide if it is a good or bad running one, it might pull like nothing else in the morning, then get lazy on the way back :imp:

They have been to the dealer umpteen ties, but as usual, it is driver error, or nothing wrong with their amazing product.

I am thinking egr valve myself, we have had issues with those, and it seems to run ok for a week or two after they have been “fixed”

I had the usual 26t of Coke on once for Stobarts. Was in an FH460. I had a Scania R440 overtaking me extremely slowly so we were both set at 90k but his truck was just that little bit faster. He was carrying 3 Scania Tractor Units so he’d got roughly 24-25 ton on.

We came to this hill and halfway up it he pulled in behind me, left him for dead.

And the Scania needs crawler gears to pull off uphill at 40t. Caught me out a few times in the past.

eddie snax:
Now, dont throw stuff at me,or laugh, but I had a similar problem with a Premium 420 dci, a number off years ago. I had driven the truck from new, and it had got too about 18month, when I noticed the power dropping and fuel consumption rising, anyway the dealer over the coarse of several weeks kept putting it on the computer and drawing a blank. Anyway I got so pee’d of after about 6 weeks of complaining and getting no where, that I rung the Gaffer told him I was leaving it at the dealer and would come back when it was sorted. it was duly sorted in one day (strange that). Problem valve clearances had gone out settings, and it was like a rocket ship after that, in fact better than when new. They’d put old boy fitter onto it, and he’d gone through the motor with a fine tooth combe, I saw him next service, he asked how it was performing and he told what he’d put right on it. sometimes no computors are required, just a knowledgable man with a spanner :wink:

I asked them to do the top end set up when I bought it and according to the Scania record system, it was done the day before collection.

Get them to check out the EGR valve out as they are useless, you can blank it off and bypass it but it puts a light on the dash. I’ll bet that will be your problem. PM Globby480 , he runs a couple of them and has had dealings with the EGR valves on them both in the past.

The 480 i use to drive was alright but nothing special, the 500 i now drive is a good bit better, at top weight and abit more she pulls well.