Scania R480 Manual Gear 1&4

Hi Everyone

I have a Scania R480 2008 Manual 12 speed 4x2. I cannot engage into gears 1 & 4 (which are on the same line) on both high and low range. I thought the cab was resting on chassis/ linkages but i cannot see anything with a naked eye, nothing amiss even on the linkages.

Has anyone ever had the same problem?

Can someone please help.

Thanks in advance.

Can you get ir into those gears with the engine turned off?

Have you just…

Got the truck or have you had these cogs before and now they won’t engage?

Skoda did a 3 slot gear shift that didn’t have a first or fourth position.

Franglais:
Can you get ir into those gears with the engine turned off?

Have actually never tried that but when idling it gets into first and kicks it out. Will try that when i am back in town.

Then 4th does not engage at all.

yourhavingalarf:
Have you just…

Hi

Have only just bought the truck yes.

Smallzy33:

yourhavingalarf:
Have you just…

Hi

Have only just bought the truck yes.

Take it back !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you can engage first, but it throws itself into neutral?

Franglais:

Yes! Correct, seemingly

Smallzy33:

Franglais:

Yes! Correct, seemingly

Sounds like worn synchro?
Check engine and gearbox mounts. Check linkage. But if it only shows a fault when the internals are whizzing round, then the fault is inside the box.
Sorry.
Don’t rest your hand lightly on the gearstick! It could kickout with a lot of force.

hqdefault.jpgWould this help ? A little more leverage :wink:

remy:
0Would this help ? A little more leverage :wink:

I don’t know but can try anything as long as it is not inside the box.

Syncro wont cause it to bang back out again, not actually engaging fully in the first place is my best guess, ie it only half in so gets chucked back out again.

Has it got the silly square shim thing on the side of the turret? and have you actaully/physically gotten hold of and checked the ball joints at the gearbox end?

Does it go into reverse and third/sixth ok? If so, and there is nothing excessively worn on any part of the external linkage, the problem must be internal, and most likely in the turret area, or maybe a selector come loose on it’s shaft. Does there appear to be more fore and aft movement at the gearlever when trying to engage first?

Trickydick:
Syncro wont cause it to bang back out again, not actually engaging fully in the first place is my best guess, ie it only half in so gets chucked back out again.

Has it got the silly square shim thing on the side of the turret? and have you actaully/physically gotten hold of and checked the ball joints at the gearbox end?

Good Evening

checked out everything and it seem ok, linkages ball joints all seem ok.

Old John:
Does it go into reverse and third/sixth ok? If so, and there is nothing excessively worn on any part of the external linkage, the problem must be internal, and most likely in the turret area, or maybe a selector come loose on it’s shaft. Does there appear to be more fore and aft movement at the gearlever when trying to engage first?

Hi John

Yes reverse Crawler and all other gears perfect except fro 1&4. Lever is just normal on neutral and same when engaged to other gears. Movement does not feel weird when engaging to the first just does not go in and if it did, it kicks out

Smallzy33:

Old John:

Hi John

Yes reverse Crawler and all other gears perfect except fro 1&4. Lever is just normal on neutral and same when engaged to other gears. Movement does not feel weird when engaging to the first just does not go in and if it did, it kicks out

What about the detent ball and spring for that gear/gears. You’re using the same gear for high and low range, so I reckon as others, that it must be internal and that’s the first place I’d look before taking the whole box out.

peterm:
What about the detent ball and spring for that gear/gears. You’re using the same gear for high and low range, so I reckon as others, that it must be internal and that’s the first place I’d look before taking the whole box out.

Thanks will have a look into that as well

It will be synchros ,I have repaired many a box with your issue ,The teeth are coffin shaped which will hold it in gear ,You may find when you apply the torque that may be when it throws it out …But with a lot of issues it isn’t always set in stone ,1st & 4 th is the same gear …A bit like a bicycle if you have a 10 speed …You have 1 tp 5 on the rear wheel ,which is the main box ,and the 2 on the pedals which is your range change so 1st & 6th on you bicycle is the same gear on the wheel ,if it is knackered,it will be knackered in 1st and 6th

norb:
It will be synchros ,I have repaired many a box with your issue ,The teeth are coffin shaped which will hold it in gear ,You may find when you apply the torque that may be when it throws it out …But with a lot of issues it isn’t always set in stone ,1st & 4 th is the same gear …A bit like a bicycle if you have a 10 speed …You have 1 tp 5 on the rear wheel ,which is the main box ,and the 2 on the pedals which is your range change so 1st & 6th on you bicycle is the same gear on the wheel ,if it is knackered,it will be knackered in 1st and 6th

Yes that sounds about right because it 1.2 7.8 3.4 9.10 6.5 11.12

Will get it checked and let you know. I just hope they are not expensive to replace and it will be repairable. Thanks