Scania r400 and r440

Hello,

I am a SCANIA user more then 15 years and till now I have used only 124 and R series with 420 HP models. Now as I can see on the market the model R420 is not actual and on the offer I can find R400 and R440 without AD BLUE. Can someone tell me how this model looks like, what is the average diesel consumption and is there any problems with this model?

Thank you.

MR. Vain has a 440, not sure what reg or if adblue thou. He may be worth a pm.

I had a new R440 new in 2010 and drove it for two years. Put it this way I drive the same way and my FH16 750 leaves the R440 behind for fuel consumption. The company had two, both disastrous on fuel. Heard same from other operators. The R480 is apparently a much better bet.

Our firm runs mainly Scania and Renault 4x2 tractors on fridge work. Talking to a colleague from another depot last night he said that the R440 units take a long time to run in, whereas the Renault 460 gives pretty good fuel economy from new. At the moment there’s a difference of 3 to 4 l/100km between the R440 and the Premium 460 on the same work. Unfortunately at our depot we don’t have any new Scanias so I can only tell you the experiences from elsewhere in our company.

~ Craig

I’ve driven the 440’s nearly as much as the 420’s.

I’m convinced the 420 pulls better than the 440 and is just as good on fuel despite revving around 200rpm lower in top gear, though in a fleet of identical motors some always pull better then others.

On long motorway runs @ 44t with tanker behind usually get between 8.5 and 9mpg running on the limiter, can get about 9.5 if gentle running or keeping the speed down to 52.

On some hard runs, cross country where nearly all roundabouts lead to a long uphill climb back to speed brings the fuel down to between 5 and 6.

I wouldn’t buy a 440 if it was my own choice, we run full weight and they’re just not man enough IMO, but unfotunately not many paid drivers would drive more powerful versions correctly to make fuel efficient use of the extra power.

In all cases if fitted with the auto box i drive them in manual override, the new 2 pedal box is no better than the 3 pedal for junctions etc, it still hasn’t got a clue what gear to be in and to be fair the gearbox responds well to manual inputs…plus i always found the 3 pedal auto at least still gives the driver total control for manoeuvering.
If you don’t lock the box in manual as soon as the motor looks at a hill it will change down if in full auto.

Hello,

Thank you everyone. I understand that the consumption of fuel depends on the driver, on the wetter, quality of diesel ext. but yes it depends sometimes also of the model of the truck.
Also if you have experience please tell me how is the engine, is it hardy or it break down every few KM? How is the consumption of oil and some other details if you have.
I have intention to buy a used Scania and I would love to buy R420 but I cannot find any on the market so I will have to make a choice between R400 and R440.

Regards + thanks

IvicaTrans:
Hello,

Thank you everyone. I understand that the consumption of fuel depends on the driver, on the wetter, quality of diesel ext. but yes it depends sometimes also of the model of the truck.
Also if you have experience please tell me how is the engine, is it hardy or it break down every few KM? How is the consumption of oil and some other details if you have.
I have intention to buy a used Scania and I would love to buy R420 but I cannot find any on the market so I will have to make a choice between R400 and R440.

Regards + thanks

Contact the Transport Manager Brian Beattie Here:
mcculla.co.uk/

They have another 10 new MP4 Actros coming in Jan2014 and might have a decent Topline420 to dispose of.
They will also have some higher KM (but driving 100%) VERY cheap DAF XF/CF and Volvo FHs for fleet disposal. :wink: