Scania P230 Power Question

Hello group, this is my first post after finding this excellent forum and I was wondering if I could begin by asking a question. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post in.

The company I work for recently purchased a second hand Scania P230 skip loader. It’s an 2011 reg with 164,000k and I’m actually the relief driver on the vehicle.

However both the regular driver and myself have found the vehicle to be extermely slow and under-powered. The garage did a little investigating and the truck was even hooked up to a computer(I’m not sure of the technical name) but no faults as such were found. To be honest the skips we carry are never overly heavy with most being from schools etc.

Our previous skip loader was a 54 reg Volvo FL220 but even that had more go in it. Interestingly, when this truck arrived new it was also extremely under-powered but we discovered that it had power settings so they were adjusted to increase the power and what a difference it made.

Returning to the Scania, is this just how the P230s are or is there anything that can be done to increase the power/fuel flow?.

Many thanks indeed for any help or feedback you can give.

:slight_smile:

I drive a p230 it’s gutless I think unfortunately that’s just how they are. I don’t think it needs a 4 over 4 gear box either gear 4 screens it’s nuts off and I change up to 5th and it dies a death. But you just get used to it there’s no need to rev the guts out of it either keep it in the green band you’ll get no more torque red lining it between gears. Just out off interest does the reg on your skip loader begin kv11?.

Hi Karl, many thanks for your reply.

Sadly, it sounds like we will indeed just have to live with it. It’s very strange how a 230hp truck can be so powerless. I do know of another P230 which has been chipped and it made a big difference.

The truck our company bought is BN11.

We have 220’s and 230’s as our rigid and there naff as said 4th screams change me up to 5th and nothing