Scania P230 and me

Afternoon all, I haven’t posted much lately as sometimes I feel I’m not as good at writing a column than driving a truck, but here goes.

Since starting my job (pallet deliveries) not much has happened worth posting about tbh, apart from my first week getting two ten pound tips off two customers, and a breeze block fell off a lorry into my path :open_mouth: , I’ve just been going about my daily business in a MAN 7.5t which has been great, I’ve managed not to wrap it round a post/tree, and I’m certainly not complaining coz I feel I was lucky to get the job, we all know how hard it is out there :unamused: But I’m definatly getting itchy feet now waiting to be put in an 18t full time, which I’ve been told will happen.

But yesterday I got the chance coz my truck tail lift needed fixing, so I asked for another lorry and the guy said “take whatever you want”. Well I felt like a kid at Christmas standing in front of the key cupboard :smiley: , so I played it safe and chose a 59’ plate 18t Scania, one of the oldest on the fleet rather than the newest ones they’ve got. So I climbed in and figured out how to put your card in, you have to hold the number button down and the slot ejects like a cd tray? :blush:

Done all the safety checks and that, started her up to Hear a very nice throaty tickover, and an even more satisfying horn! :grimacing: Oh yes!

Got loaded up with my deliveries, only five btw and off I went. One in Chelmsford, two in Basildon, pitsea and canvey island. Got the hang of the gearbox, a four over four but reverse was across and up! So I crunched it a couple of times, and even worse was getting used to the clutch. It turns out that you need to bring the clutch all the way up for it to engage and then gas it. I’m used to my little lorry clutch half up - Gas down. I pulled away from a few junctions and it just crawled along because I didn’t bring clutch up high enough, v embarrassing! And stalled it pulling away in 3rd ok, but pulled clutch up too quick this time lol! But still loved it, nice comfy seat with lumbar, compared to the basic stuff in my MAN. And can’t wait to do it again!

As I say I’m not so good with the words,

Regards

D’B

Nice one DB. The airhorn in Scania’s is definitely a step in the right direction.

Christ at this rate, you will be driving artics soon mate.

eagerbeaver:
Nice one DB. The airhorn in Scania’s is definitely a step in the right direction.

Christ at this rate, you will be driving artics soon mate.

Yes mate, that is the target :sunglasses: . I was gonna do the c+e straight after the c test but a crisis at home meant I had no choice but to use the money saved for it. And do you know McDonald’s when they do that monopoly thing with the food wrappers, I’m a sucker for it, bought a few too many trying to win big, of course it’s a load of ■■■■■■■■. You only get park lane and never a Mayfair ffs :unamused: