Scania night heater problem

Was getting nicely warm this morning when an alarm sounded and the night heater handset displayed “heater error”.

It doesn’t seem willing to give me any more information on what the error might be, but insists on sounding this alarm every 15 mins or if I should dare to press the rocker switch on the dash to turn it off.

So no heat, no peace and no idea :frowning:

I know I can pull the fuse to hopefully stop the alarm, but any ideas on what the problem might be?

Happened to me, turned out a jacket had slipped down the back of the passenger seat blocking the air intake pipe. Sounds bone but check it’s clear

HTH

turn it on, set it to max temp, let it run for an hour like that. repeat every few weeks when the temperature is ambient.

Check your fuel level if you are driving a new scania from 2011 onwards the fuel pipe for the nightheater no longer reaches the bottom of the tank. I drive a 4 legger with twin tanks and if the fuel light is on then the night heater won’t work even though I have 300l of diesel left. If it is the fuel once you have filled up run it flat out for about 30 minutes to clear any air that may be in the system.

Ok - I’ve cleared everything that might be in the way of the pipes - fueled up to the top, and am now running it at it’s max of 10… It always smokes from the exterior pipe but it’s billowing out!

I’ll see if it stays on this time. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond :slight_smile:

I had the same problem, it indeed was something that fell and blocked the air intake, it all worked fine when I removed the obstructing tweed jacket and slippers.

please update us if your now with a fully functioning night heater!

Well I don’t know which suggestion it was, but a splendid group effort has it working again :smiley: Thanks all :wink:

grumpybum:
Well I don’t know which suggestion it was, but a splendid group effort has it working again :smiley: Thanks all :wink:

had 1 fail about a month ago burner needed replaced common fault,how old is ?

In my r480 it just says heater error and never fires up.

puntabrava:

can you here the fuel pump ticking in the middle of the chassis, should start ticking after about 45secs after you switch it on

TOECUTTER:

puntabrava:

can you here the fuel pump ticking in the middle of the chassis, should start ticking after about 45secs after you switch it on

Will have a listen.

Mine started doing this and then cleared itself just before going to the workshop for it’s 6 weekly. Was OK for a while and started buggering about after it’d just been on the latest visit.

Not a massive issue as I don’t night out but it’s nice to get into a warm cab first thing or to keep warm when stopped. Will investigate clearing the crap out the passenger side :laughing:

had this a few years back it was some little magic electronic box that costs around £300 + It never got fixed :unamused:

The most common issues with night heaters according to someone at a certain manufacturer-
As said above
1)Something blocking the inlet
2) It not being fired up regularly during the summer months - he suggested just light it up once at week at max temp for 15- 20 minutes
3) If fitted the batteries in the remote control may be flat

Didn’t sort mine :frowning: Noticed the handset showed what looked like “error au5” any ideas? The old style plug in timer one always used to flash up E44.

No doubt by the time it goes back for service in about 3 weeks it’ll have warmed up outside

Mine is the old type and was only staying on for 20 minutes at a time then flashed up E44 with the occasional E33 code.
Turned out it was overheating and was rebuilt using parts from an old heater that was in the locker.

Well it all went breasts up again! Billowing, fume-filled smoke, followed by “heater error” and alarm.

It is an 11 reg. I don’t know if it has been kept working during the warmer months as I have only recently become its new user. Nothing is blocking the pipes. I’ve put a defect form in so it will be fine by next week! :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated :slight_smile:

Had this problem before, usually turns out to the a clogged glow pin screen or the glow pin itself has failed, an easy fix but the heater has to be unbolted from under the bunk.

Sometimes they just play up if you don’t start them off at max temperature, after the alarm sounds you can turn it off by the handset on the back wall and try again after about ten mins.

I had a problem with mine - started smoking for some reason

It was easy to fix though - I filled in a defect report and the magic fairies in our garage sorted it the next day :laughing:

I’m having an issue with the heater on my 64 plate scanny…it all started the other night following a visit from the diesel fairies :unamused:

Now after a couple of minutes, an alarm sounds and the display on the remote shows “heater error” . Doesn’t seem to matter at what temperature it’s set either.

Any ideas? :imp: