Scania LB80 Chinese Six

Is this the same company as Bowker of Blackburn?

kerso:

No, that is W. H. Bowker Limited - they moved to Preston in August 1989

Thats a turn up for the book, and Trucknet, or more correctly Ashley

I drove a factory 6 wheeler rigid, strangely enough called a Scania 86 with a lifting rear axle, but unsteered

john pickles of blackburn did a conversion on a tm bedford we had and also did all the conversions of brewery tk years ago i recall he told me
the company moved to new premises and changed name to wheelbase i think but stand corrected?

Thanks 240 Gardner. Where was Peter Bowker based?

240 Gardner:

kerso:

kerso:

240 Gardner:

kerso:

Peter Bowkers yard was Stourbridge rd. Bridgnorth Shropshire. His brother Bob also had a haulage business called Bowker bros. from Bobbington nr. Bridgnorth, a real nice chap, I remember him running motor pressings to MG cars at Abingdon.
I’m sure Kate can supply more info, it is her family !

Thanks Trev, much appreciated. Regards Ian.

Trev_H:

kerso:

240 Gardner:

kerso:

Peter Bowkers yard was Stourbridge rd. Bridgnorth Shropshire. His brother Bob also had a haulage business called Bowker bros. from Bobbington nr. Bridgnorth, a real nice chap, I remember him running motor pressings to MG cars at Abingdon.
I’m sure Kate can supply more info, it is her family !

truckerash:
another of Peter Davies’s photos

I remember servicing this one from new it was then on the fleet of GKN Garringtons at Bromsgrove hence the Worcs. reg.

TRAILERS1:
john pickles of blackburn did a conversion on a tm bedford we had and also did all the conversions of brewery tk years ago i recall he told me
the company moved to new premises and changed name to wheelbase i think but stand corrected?

Wheeelbase Engineering took over the premises previously used by Plants Motor Bodies, between Whitebirk and Rishton

What a great site this is. Great photos. I was only just starting driving HGV in early 80’s but have great memories of a lot of these Scanias on the road then!

Trev_H:

truckerash:
another of Peter Davies’s photos

I remember servicing this one from new it was then on the fleet of GKN Garringtons at Bromsgrove hence the Worcs. reg.

240 Gardner:

TRAILERS1:

Wheeelbase Engineering took over the premises previously used by Plants Motor Bodies, between Whitebirk and Rishton

And as far as I know they are still operating, manufacturing mainly close-coupled trailers and carrying out chassis modifications. I was delivering steel to them until my retirement a couple of years ago.

Evening all, Pickles did become Wheelbase. And their conversions were better than Primrose…anyone remember Primroses single four tandems?

Bobs yard was nearer Claverley, than Bobbington, and a right tight little place to get into, but us “rural lads” could do it easily!!

Nice two shades of red livery, and did not Chris Kelly buy his fleet when he started West Mid?

Kate, your dad was always a Gentleman!!

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Evening all, Pickles did become Wheelbase. And their conversions were better than Primrose…anyone remember Primroses single four tandems?

Bobs yard was nearer Claverley, than Bobbington, and a right tight little place to get into, but us “rural lads” could do it easily!!

Nice two shades of red livery, and did not Chris Kelly buy his fleet when he started West Mid?

Kate, your dad was always a Gentleman!!

Cheerio for now.

I couldn’t help noting your comment about Primrose Engineering,“Saviem”,as I have never been a fan of the “converters” mainly in the area of third axle additions to both tractors and trailers,particularly at the time of the introduction of the 38 tonners.However,in later 1969 I aquired the “A” licence that had been on an AEC Mercury of 1959 vintage and on transfer to another vehicle you could at that time claim a “lift” in ULW.Well as I was desperate to increase the “total” carrying capacity of Bewick Transport from 10ton to as much as I could get granted I arrived at the decision that I could manage a 26 ton GVW artic of about 7:5 ton ULW this would allow a payload of 18 tons !! I settled on one of the,then,new BMC Mastiff 26ton GVW tractors with the V8 Perkins engine.This motor was within my very sparse budget!! Now for a suitable trailer,I looked around at the various then “new” Tandem 4 trailer specs from the likes of York,Merriworth,Overlander and of course Pitt who were supposedly the “market leader” of these new fangled tandem 4’s.However they all one major disadvantage,as far as I was concered anyway,they all used the normal narrow track axles which in turn meant the use of centre knave wheels which were,of course,non inter changeable with the unit.So up popped Primrose and offered to bulid me a bespoke trailer with wider track axles to take the standard 110x22:5 wheels,oh! and as a bonus they would use the same hub assemblies as the front axle of a Mastiff !! This combination did give us excellent service,with the right driver of course!.We used to carry 18ton payloads regularly and never had any problems with the trailer,although it could get a bit “hairy” with some of the high,and heavy,loads of pallets we delivered down to Kent.This is a shot of the combination with it’s first load from the paper Mill in Milnthorpe,I sold the whole combination after about two and half years when I started,and could afford,to buy the Atkinsons !Cheers Dennis.

I need help.
About 25+ years ago, our old man had this Scania LB80 which was a 2 axle rigid. In his wisdom, he decided to have it converted to 3 axle.
After much deliberation, he opted to have the axle added as a second steer, as shown in the photo.It is believed to be the only Scania LB80 with this configuation.
The conversion was carried out by Pickles in Blackburn, although I don’t know if this was a company or an individual. Apparently there was a photograph taken on a truckstop, or MSA somewhere by an unknown person.
As the photo below is the only one we have, does any have, or know of, another picture of the beast. Sadly I dont have the registration number, yet!

Can anybody help - please

I can help KATE:

is this what you are looking for■■? :smiley: “a BIG smile for today ay?”

as far as I know, the truck was registered in Bristol area and a mate of mine thinks it was with Western Transport first.

This photo taken by Peter Davies. Are you going to tell us that’s your old man at the wheel■■?

and heres another of Peter Davies’s photos

happy bunny?

Kate,
:confused: The Scania LB80 conversion would have been done by ‘Primrose’ of Blackburn and not - as you say - Pickles! You cant get your Primroses mixed up with your Pickles!!! :wink:

Truckerash’s Peter Davies photo was taken at the Vauxhall/Bedford Factory in Luton, where Bowkers would have been regular visitors.

All the best
Lemonmouth :smiley:

Truckerash, Is there no end to your genius?
Definately a BIG smile, today, in fact an ear to ear grin :smiley: :smiley:

I doubt it’s the old man at the wheel, it’s his name in the headboard though. He’ll tell me tomorrow who is driving it,
He had it converted when it’s young driver turned 20 and upgraded to Class 2. The driver was Steve Fellows, who went on to become first an O/D then to running several of his own, including those he recently sold to AS Taylor - Small world , aint it?

Many Many Thanks. You are an absolute star. :wink: :wink:

Next task - Bowker Bros…

Lemonmouth The old 'un said it was Pickles, but seeing as he don’t know his ■■■ from his elbow most of the time, I guess we have to forgive him !! He’s 76 now, so that’ll be his excuse.

Quote from Kate:

Lemonmouth The old 'un said it was Pickles, but seeing as he don’t know his ■■■ from his elbow most of the time, I guess we have to forgive him !!

'ere LEMONMOUTH, do you remember asking me about DREW INTERNATIONAL a while ago?
Well, I remember that bloke being a bit like Kates old man…not knowing his arse from his elbow. In fact he didnt know much about anything really.
As the firm was quite close to me, I saw him one time leave the yard without his trailer :confused: :blush:
The boss ran down the road shouting at him. How could anyone be so dumb :blush:
I mean…ive dropped my trailer without winding the legs down :blush: and ive tried to pull away without putting the air lines on :blush: … but never gone “without” the bloody trailer!
Apparantly he did it on more than one occassion. Oh well “nowt stranger than folk” as they say up 't north.
im sure ive got a pic of Drew Int for you somewhere. Have to have a good hard look for it.

Kate

found another photo of the Scania, this time its got sun visor and spot lamps.
tried to enhance it to see the driver, but not poss :frowning:

Truckerash

Thank you - again. :smiley:
I’ll pass it on to the old man, he was chuffed to bits with the first one. In fact he’s dug out some pictures, which I’ll post later on when I’ve scanned them in.

I think the driver was Billy Smith, he drove the scania after Steve Fellows.