Scania LB110

Here´s another Etelä-kiito meat carrier, found from web.

This must be the most photographed/published LB110 of all. There is a painting of it in the Ladybird Book of Commercial Vehicles, for instance! That was my introduction to European lorries- suddenly, the Leylands and Atkis that I was seeing on the roads did not seem so impressive. This shot is the best. There will never be a more perfectly-proportioned vehicle.

1968%20%20Scania%20LB110-LBS-110%20%20p14.jpg
[Thanks to Mr. Janssens for scanning the brochure!]

VDA 95 G.jpgI used to hate seeing those 6 wheel units with the trailer perched on the rearmost axle,we had our trailers built to match and got near perfect axle load distribution , not to mention better traction and ride.

LB76:
0I used to hate seeing those 6 wheel units with the trailer perched on the rearmost axle,we had our trailers built to match and got near perfect axle load distribution , not to mention better traction and ride.

Hi Bill. The other advantage with those long-overhang trailers is that the gap between the cab and trailer can be smaller, since the arc swept as the vehicle bends is shallower. Plus, the effective wheelbase of the trailer is shorter, so the turning circle is smaller. It’s only schoolboy geometry, but the British and US industry never seemed to grasp it. The Scandinavians did, and so did your colleagues at Fridged Freight- those vehicles look superb. It’s always nice to see someone defy convention and come out on top- hats off to Mr. Wyatt. You mention that the lorries gave a smooth ride- I wonder if the reputation Scania acquired in GB, for a rough ride (and propshaft trouble), was partly due to the British preoccupation with short-wheelbase tractors? When 38t came in, in 1983, the standard Scania 6x2 had a 2.85m wheelbase- I bet the Swedish engineers shook their heads at the notion of this.

Can you remember what the wheelbase of the FF tractor units, and the pin overhang of the trailers, was? It would be interesting to compare them with a typical Nordic artic of the time- they used 3.4m 6x2s and 1.6m-pin trailers, I think (this will require confirmation by our Scandinavian correspondents).

[zb]
anorak:

LB76:
0I used to hate seeing those 6 wheel units with the trailer perched on the rearmost axle,we had our trailers built to match and got near perfect axle load distribution , not to mention better traction and ride.

Hi Bill. The other advantage with those long-overhang trailers is that the gap between the cab and trailer can be smaller, since the arc swept as the vehicle bends is shallower. Plus, the effective wheelbase of the trailer is shorter, so the turning circle is smaller. It’s only schoolboy geometry, but the British and US industry never seemed to grasp it. The Scandinavians did, and so did your colleagues at Fridged Freight- those vehicles look superb. It’s always nice to see someone defy convention and come out on top- hats off to Mr. Wyatt. You mention that the lorries gave a smooth ride- I wonder if the reputation Scania acquired in GB, for a rough ride (and propshaft trouble), was partly due to the British preoccupation with short-wheelbase tractors? When 38t came in, in 1983, the standard Scania 6x2 had a 2.85m wheelbase- I bet the Swedish engineers shook their heads at the notion of this.

Can you remember what the wheelbase of the FF tractor units, and the pin overhang of the trailers, was? It would be interesting to compare them with a typical Nordic artic of the time- they used 3.4m 6x2s and 1.6m-pin trailers, I think (this will require confirmation by our Scandinavian correspondents).

3,1 and 3,4 where used here ,autotransit can confirm that in sweden the regulations did it possible to use longer artics total 24m for al combinations finland 16/22

I´m not sure if I understand the question right, but in Sweden the regulations sad that you had to have at least 22 meter between the first and the last axels if you wanted to use the total weight of 51,4 tons… regardless if it was a semitrailer or an A-frame drawbar. Later the total weight became 52 tons, and now we have 60 tons for the 25,25 vehicles.
The most common wheelbase for a 4x2 trailer tractor was 3,2 meters… or if you had an G88/89, then it was 3,5 meters. If using a semitrailer with an axle measurement over 2,1 meter it was possible to have a total weight of 36 ton

/Stellan

Autotransit:
I´m not sure if I understand the question right, but in Sweden the regulations sad that you had to have at least 22 meter between the first and the last axels if you wanted to use the total weight of 51,4 tons… regardless if it was a semitrailer or an A-frame drawbar. Later the total weight became 52 tons, and now we have 60 tons for the 25,25 vehicles.
The most common wheelbase for a 4x2 trailer tractor was 3,2 meters… or if you had an G88/89, then it was 3,5 meters. If using a semitrailer with an axle measurement over 2,1 meter it was possible to have a total weight of 36 ton

/Stellan

meant that you did not have separate lenghtregulations for trailer and drawbar combinations :question: :question: :question: ,so it was in domestic transport possible to use longer motors then in ex finland whit 16m total for artics. hej benkku

It was the same length regulations for trailer and drawbar combinations, so a semitrailer could be 24 meters if you not exceeded 52 tons total weight.

/Stellan

Maybe this was one of Finland’s first LBFS 111 :smiley:

/Stellan

mat60.jpg
Great motors, could not fault them in any way.
Cliff

scania,s from kiitoliikenne fusioned to trans saari beeing kiitolinja west beeing DB SCHENKER FINLAND now. and how come they operate mercedes mostly now :astonished: :astonished: benkku hej

Mmmmm. Seven LBs in the same picture. Proper ones too, with the headlamps in the right place. Heaven.

about the 8 weelers i,ll agree whit stellan ,the first pic,s in finland,s press was a BP branded 111 in 1978,hej benkku

How about this pair of beauties bma.? They were both about 10 years old when i took this shot in the depot.

well bewick you had class on your motor,s. i,ll could even to day drive one :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

this was mine first own. from -79 had it for some years as a"bride" :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers benkku

I always maintained that the 111 was the best Scania model bma.,those two Bewick 111’s were both 1979 reg. and both worked very hard and were very reliable throughout their lifetime.Scanias formed about 85% of our fleet in the later years although we always ran quite a few British motors until,unfortunately,all the UK manufacturers went out of buisness.We also ran a few (very few!) Volvos and in later years a couple of Magnums and 7 or 8 Mercs.But Scania was the marque by which Bewick Transport was best known ! Cheers Bewick.

Nice looking motors those two Dennis !

OEC755V,coupled to Bo-Alloy Tautliner in the depot at Milnthorpe.

This would be a 1980 shot of a new K. Fell 111 prior to entering service.

LB76:
Nice looking motors those two Dennis !

Thanks for that “LB76”,we transferred the one on the left to Rochdale when it came out of the distance fleet and it ran about the Manchester on locals and shunting duties.