Scania LB or Scania Vabis

I hope the title doesn’t confuse too much, but its a memory thing.

Over the last couple of days I have been involved with the UCC Brentwood thread which prompted me to read it again, its quite interesting apart from the bickering.

Scania Vabis. two gearsticks, one worked the splitter, one changed the 5 gears

Scania 80 /110, one gearstick, some had a splitter and some were simple 5 speed. Both lorries used the same gearbox.

NOW

I remember ainacs (RIP) saying, “listen. I have broken over 600 Scanias and never seen a 110 with two sticks”

As we know Pat was well known for saying how it was and he did rip a lot of motors apart. Now it appears that the 110 might have had a two stick set up.

I drove a skip wagon for a couple of months, it was an LB86 and it did have another “gearstick” but all this did was operate the PTO for the Multilift Gear.

Which was it?

scania 80 super had a ten speed splitter,very early 110’s had a ten speed splitter(don’t think they were the same box though) later 110’s obviously had ten speed range change,although some just had a five speed.
But I think you are correct,some very early 110’s had a two stick affair with one stick operating the splitter ,same as a LB76.

This was cleared up on one of the other threads. The first LHD LB110s had two sticks. These were made from February 1968, but were not exported to GB, except for a few which, I guess, went to operators who insisted on LHD. The first RHD LB110s were delivered to GB in July 1968, and were registered in August, so they got “F” plates. They were single stick, with the splitter on a switch (or was it a valve? This is all from memory). At some stage, the LHD vehicles changed to a single stick. I guess that happened before RHD vehicles were made, so the stick and the actuation mechanism would be available for those vehicles. IIRC, the launch brochure shows an LHD lorry with the two sticks. I’ll have a look for it.

Edit- the August 1968 LB110s had “G” plates, of course. The one-off LHD imports on the “F” plates are the ones which would have had two sticks. If you have one of these, it would make a good museum exhibit. :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
I hope the title doesn’t confuse too much, but its a memory thing.

Over the last couple of days I have been involved with the UCC Brentwood thread which prompted me to read it again, its quite interesting apart from the bickering.

Scania Vabis. two gearsticks, one worked the splitter, one changed the 5 gears

Scania 80 /110, one gearstick, some had a splitter and some were simple 5 speed. Both lorries used the same gearbox.

NOW

I remember ainacs (RIP) saying, “listen. I have broken over 600 Scanias and never seen a 110 with two sticks”

My first yield in several books on Scania-Vabis is the DS5 (same idea perhaps, but lighter) applied in the L36 since 1968 and the L50

As we know Pat was well known for saying how it was and he did rip a lot of motors apart. Now it appears that the 110 might have had a two stick set up.

I drove a skip wagon for a couple of months, it was an LB86 and it did have another “gearstick” but all this did was operate the PTO for the Multilift Gear.

Which was it?

ERF-Continental:
]

Is that^^^ an LB110 engine and gearbox? Are there any features which distinguish it from an LB76 one?

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-Continental:
]

Is that^^^ an LB110 engine and gearbox? Are there any features which distinguish it from an LB76 one?

I don’t know, but the PTO lever on my LB86 was identical to that one without the gaiter including the gear knob.

I wondered if it was similar reasons as the F89 where the gear linkage didn’t quite work for the Scania RHD UK market so they changed it to electro pneumatic for simplicity.

Pat would have known this answer and reasons to question, there is one other bloke I can think of who helped Scania and MAT when they launched the 110.

Simmo. Have you got your ears on?

Wheel Nut:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-Continental:
]

I don’t know, but the PTO lever on my LB86 was identical to that one without the gaiter including the gear knob.

I wondered if it was similar reasons as the F89 where the gear linkage didn’t quite work for the Scania RHD UK market so they changed it to electro pneumatic for simplicity.

Pat would have known this answer and reasons to question, there is one other bloke I can think of who helped Scania and MAT when they launched the 110.

Maybe the engine/box assembly above has a PTO, and an electric splitter?

This thread discusses the gearboxes:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83818&start=90

Somewhere on this forum, it says that the very first LHD LB110s had the two-stick gearbox, carried over from the LB76. I cannot find that page. :smiley:

I’ve had a brief look round the forum, but nothing conclusive has come to light. I am quite confident that the very first LHD LB110s had the two-stick arrangement. There is an LB110 thread somewhere in here, but finding things is hard work.

The thread gives more info on page 1 and 2, from which
also the LHD-picture with two sticks is taken.

Even the medium-weight L36 and L50 had this feature.

SV-LB76-LHD-TwoStick.jpg

I today checked about 6 inch thick sales brochures from 1960 to 1980 but no evidence (by pictures)
about two sticks…and also the various specification sheets don’t mention any …only when PTO’s
are involved, but that was a handle (‘far’ from the gearstick to avoid mistakes) put away safely.

Wheel Nut:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-Continental:
]

not sure what engine is in the pic. it isnt the LB76 LB110 its only a 4 cylinder. i have found a pic of an early 110 with 2 sticks 1 for the gears and 1 for the splitter. says its 1968

jonmea:
not sure what engine is in the pic. it isnt the LB76 LB110 its only a 4 cylinder. i have found a pic of an early 110 with 2 sticks 1 for the gears and 1 for the splitter. says its 1968

Any chance of posting the pic here?

While you’re on that job, do have any pictures of Guy Big J’s with 8 cylinder Gardner engines? :laughing:

The engine in the picture is a DS5 so for the 36 and 50, indeed 4 pits

[zb]
anorak:

jonmea:

Any chance of posting the pic here?

While you’re on that job, do have any pictures of Guy Big J’s with 8 cylinder Gardner engines? :laughing:

cant do it for some reason. everytime i try it comes up not allowed. if somebody has got the book scania world trucks no2 by Pat Kennett its in there

Knew I’d seen it somewhere.

Question answered. Good contributions from all. :slight_smile:

Ooh Cheers chaps. I think I have seen Pat Kennetts book somewhere too, maybe it was posted on here. I think any PK books I have are British Lorries.

Thanks all

While Pat Kennett points out this feature with a picture some months later the LB110-brochures
doesn’t tell about two sticks or whatever…being a Dutch-thing? Or a LHD-thing for the continent?

The Denonville-brochures (since 1949 representatives for Scania-Vabis) neither tell us more.

A picture of the LB110 interior for Holland is attached and out of the may-1969-brochure

ERF-Continental:
While Pat Kennett points out this feature with a picture some months later the LB110-brochures
doesn’t tell about two sticks or whatever…being a Dutch-thing? Or a LHD-thing for the continent?

The Denonville-brochures (since 1949 representatives for Scania-Vabis) neither tell us more.

A picture of the LB110 interior for Holland is attached and out of the may-1969-brochure

I do not think the two-stick 110 was unique to any market. The above picture was used, AFAIK, in earlier brochures. The LHD 110s supplied to UK operators went to Samuel Williams and Jamesons, and one or more of the lorries had the two-stick arrangement, if I remember the content of the thread that I cannot find. By the time RHD models were available, the splitter was on the main stick: