Scania gearboxs

hi all you scania drivers
what types of gears are there i know there is a 3 over 3 i have heard there are 14 gears on some wagons you may think i am a nutter but i have a assestmant in the morning but i don’t know what type of scania i will be driving, in past reports i am only use to a straight six and need to know what gear to start off in and how the sequence of going up the gears

A firm I was on gave a new driver a brand new Topliner. He went to the office and asked if there wasanyone that could show mim the gears ect. because he had never driven a Scania in his life. They told him he was loading for Scotland the next morning and he could find out on the way :laughing: ( & he did! )

Chances are it is the 3 over 3 with a splitter quite easy to use low and high gear button on the side of the shift.

which one to use depends on what load you have on etc but the main objective is to pull away with the least amount of distress caused to the vehicle assesor or you :wink: :wink:

Joking apart just take your time and get the guy to talk you through the box…He will be more impressed by the fact that you are honest.

I used to do the assessments for my last employer for 10 years I would be looking for a bit of initiative too.

Harry is also right the best way to learn is by doing it.

good luck mate :laughing: :laughing:

the wagon is a scania 124L 420 so what are the gears please

I believe its the normal 3 over 3 box. I will have let somebody else explain it . Check that the range change switch is in the down position / Thats Low / Get her rolling in Low 2 . Then L3. Click the range change switch on the gear lever to Hi range then whack her over to position (1) You are now in 4th gear. Stay in H and go thru the box again to get thru the gears until you reach 6th gear. Basically you have 3 foward positions on your gate & 1 reverse. 3 with the switch in Low . Then repeat it with 3 in Hi. Its a fully synchro box so there is no double de-clutching. NB; Make sure the switch is in Lo for Reversing… Before you roll familiarise your self with the 3 gear positions. Sit there & dip the clutch & change gear to get to know where layout. It goes in better with the engine turning over. Don`t let the clutch out with the handbrake fuly on…

Our 4 series is a 9 speed.

4 over 4 plus crawler.
Forget crawler you wont need it for an assement.

With our rigid (empty) start off in 3rd then 4th if you need it (on a hill etc) flick the switch go into 5th, then 7th, then 8th. All depends on the spec though, ours is the 340hp engine.

Push the bottom of the switch for low range the top of the switch for high range.
It’s a basic H pattern, 1234, then flick the switch and it becomes 5678.

Dont be affraid to tell them you’ve only driven a 6speed, then they wont mind if you make a hash to begin with and they’ll see how you adapt to it as you go.

Dennis is right. Ask the guy where everything is as soon as you get in the cab. He is like us & will be glad to help… I am sure he will coach you if you are honest with him. All he wants to see is if you are safe on the road & you won`t be bringing back a truck with the transmission wrecked . At the end of the day he needs a driver. And to get a young honest one is a bonus. ( That will be a Fiver :laughing: )

And if he says anything along the lines of “well you’re supposed to be the bloody driver…”

You probably dont want to work for them anyway.
Of course ‘if’ you do get a respose along those lines you can always take it for a drive anyway, then slam it in reverse once you hit the limiter :laughing:

its a tractor unit with a 44 ton trailer, looked at ome trucks the same 124L 420 they are 12+2 need comfirmation please

Already told you . Be honest with the guy before you kick off. He is usually a driver or fitter like me or you and had to start like everybody else. When I took mine with BRS it was well known that if you offered old Ben a smoke you had passed before you got out the yard… I didn`t smoke…I had to tell him jokes ! ( & passed )

Last 12 speed Scania I drove had the splitter switch on the side and the range change was on a ring underneath the switch (lift for high, push down for low). I tended to keep the splitter high in low range and then go through all the gears in high range although would depend on the load / gradient.

If there is any doubt then it is worth admitting that you haven’t driven one before, rather than bluff it and it all go to ■■■■…

G

The new 06 plate Scanias at Carlsberg in Leeds,are 12 speed semi-automatic.

They have a clutch,which you use for setting off,and stopping,and then you drive it like an auto.

There is no gearstick,and if you want to change manually,it’s on a stalk to the right of the steering wheel.

Ken.

My two pennysworth

When you change from low to high, listen for the click from the gearbox.Same with changing down.

You do get used to it though.

as quinny says it might turn out to be automatic with clutch . not the quickest of boxes and if you want a quick manouvre it takes a while to think about putting it in reverse and make sure the clutch is all the way down otherwise it won’t engage :twisted

thank god there going back in october, to be replaced by a all volvo fleet. all but 4 motors will have digital tachographs in them though. :imp: :

jon

On the semi-auto boxes I’ve been driving at Carlsberg,if you don’t apply full throttle when going through the box,they are one of the smoothest boxes I’ve had the pleasure of.

Yes that then renders them slower to change,but show me an auto box that isn’t.

Ken.

cheers for all that, done it this morning had a couple of errors but not that bad, it had 12+2 gearbox, anyway got offered the job

:smiley: Result !! :smiley:

Well done saddler :smiley:

didnt Ralph Davies say Scania was a great truck shame about the gearbox …did he ever retro fit a Fuller