Scania gearbox

Could anyone tell me the pros and cons about a Scania opticruse gearbox what it’s like to live with for the driver and is it reliable??

There are better auto boxes out there.

I use a 3 pedal opticruise box. I’m a fan. It’s easy to use, as long as you have been shown/know how to use it, in conjunction with the other toys on the Scania.

Mine is on an 08 plate, and from new has only had the synchro between 7&8 replaced, above any scheduled maintenance.

We also have a 2 pedal opticruise box on another lorry. I find that one a little bit dozier, but that could just be because I don’t drive it day in day out.

Gibwil90:
Could anyone tell me the pros and cons about a Scania opticruse gearbox what it’s like to live with for the driver and is it reliable??

rubbish ive got 1 they no good just got another scania with 12 speed manual thats the best option

Pants. Complete and utter pants they are. Either give me a full auto or a full manual, not this clutch autotragic nonsense.

I prefer the three pedal purely because it gives the option for infinite manoeuvering control, others may not like them for various reasons and that’s their privelidge, but make your own mind up.

Other than that there’s little difference between the 2 and 3 pedal Scanny autos, you only use the clutch to start and stop, rest of the time you either allow it to drive itself in full auto and die of boredom or get side swiped when it takes 20 seconds to lurch out of a junction/roundabout (just like most other autos, Volvo excepted), or it might actually stall out on you as they sometimes do when speed loss is faster than the idiot box’s own decision.
Or you learn to drive it yourself in manual override and in manual it’s not a bad box at all, seeing as you control the downshifts you can actually get some retardation out of the joke standard exhaust brake as a bonus to the overall better progress you will make.

2 settings whether auto or manual, i suggest you learn to drive the box in manual mode in MH setting, faster changes than in M.

The box is better than ZF’s effort in auto and far far better for manual override driving because its instantly responsive to your input via the stick.

Reliability, i had a 3 pedal for about 4 years, the only failure, some control unit, happened when i was on holiday, i’ve driven lots of later 2 pedal jobbies, again no failures for me.

I fail to see how a clutch gives you better control at low speeds? Do you enjoying riding it and wearing it out?

Radar19:
I fail to see how a clutch gives you better control at low speeds? Do you enjoying riding it and wearing it out?

Well no not really, i tend to use it the same now as i did 40 years ago, to smoothly engage the transmission.

Do you have trouble with clutch control, if so then full auto (or rather the electronics doing the clutch operating for you) is probably best in your case… :wink:

I wouldn’t have a clue about these autos ,I’ve once did a couple of hours in a merc Eps ,I’ll stick with the eaton / fuller and the ceramic clutch that’s either in or out .

Radar19:

Obviously a typical steering wheel attendant`s outlook , and real driver should know not to ride the clutch !!! .

Juddian:

Radar19:

Well no not really, i tend to use it the same now as i did 40 years ago, to smoothly engage the transmission.

Do you have trouble with clutch control, if so then full auto (or rather the electronics doing the clutch operating for you) is probably best in your case… :wink:

I have no problem with clutch control, I’m just lazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ouch…

Radar19:

I fail to see how you can come to that conclusion!