Scania gearbox trouble

Hi folks, anyhow drove a scania up to motherwell yesterday a 10 plate it was the semi auto anyhow left haydock by the time it got to preston the seat lost its air so i was on the floor, so i pulled over and tried to stick some wood in the switch but to no success :frowning: so sat on the jacket for 4hrs lol, my biggest problem was the gearbox put the thing in auto and it wouldnā€™t change up to 2nd unless i did it manually but here is the thing the truck would only drive in auto but i had to change gear manually. so i gets to motherwell put the truck on the bay handbrake on truck is in neutral, so try to start the truck it wouldnā€™t start it was stuck in gear but in neutral on the column. so i got another trucker and the shunter chap tried giving me a hand and they was puzzled also, so we calls for a fitter sat there for 10 mins went to start it and it started straightaway. i was setting of at roundabouts and the thing was going into neutral anyone else had trouble like this with a scania. I have drove loads of them never one like this give me an MAN truck any day.

Our 05 plate had similar troubles a few weeks back (apart from the seat dumping air)ā€¦turns out the clutch was knackered. The box had been reset to pull away in 4th (couldnā€™t possibly say who did that :wink: ) put the knob 'eads ainā€™t knocking it down a couple when pulling away loaded. Box has been reset to 1st now and the regulars are now moaning they have to knock it up to pull away when empty!

Edit: and while Iā€™m here, my manual 3/3 is playing upā€¦the splitter ainā€™t working! Defected it 10 weeks ago, not resolvedā€¦defected the seat belt warning light on the dash (bulb had blown) on Sunday night, bulb replaced Monday!!! Anyway, makes it a bit of a buggar when exiting the tolls loaded, 5-6 is a bit long and she struggles a bit up/over the bridgeā€¦just missing that half cog :cry:

you can set the starting gear yourself on the scania using the pad on the steering wheel,go into vehicle settings.can be 1,2,3,4 or automaticā€¦i set it to auto and let it sort itself out.
i guess the gearchange problem is due to an airleak,the box needs air to work and as the seat lost its air i think the gears work of the same air system.

On ours you can change the starting gear just by putting it to H then changing the gear with the stalk, then back to N which sets it.

xamtex:
you can set the starting gear yourself on the scania using the pad on the steering wheel,go into vehicle settings.can be 1,2,3,4 or automaticā€¦i set it to auto and let it sort itself out.
i guess the gearchange problem is due to an airleak,the box needs air to work and as the seat lost its air i think the gears work of the same air system.

That sounds right hope im not in that in the morning just for an easy life, different truck every day for me. :wink:

Actrosman:
Our 05 plate had similar troubles a few weeks back (apart from the seat dumping air)ā€¦turns out the clutch was knackered. The box had been reset to pull away in 4th (couldnā€™t possibly say who did that :wink: ) put the knob 'eads ainā€™t knocking it down a couple when pulling away loaded. Box has been reset to 1st now and the regulars are now moaning they have to knock it up to pull away when empty!

Edit: and while Iā€™m here, my manual 3/3 is playing upā€¦the splitter ainā€™t working! Defected it 10 weeks ago, not resolvedā€¦defected the seat belt warning light on the dash (bulb had blown) on Sunday night, bulb replaced Monday!!! Anyway, makes it a bit of a buggar when exiting the tolls loaded, 5-6 is a bit long and she struggles a bit up/over the bridgeā€¦just missing that half cog :cry:

Thanks for the reply :wink: these scanias seem to struggle with a lot of weight on from my experience they donā€™t seem to know what gear to choose in auto and when you are setting off up a hill i have had them stall because they change at the wrong time so i always use manual when setting off up hill, i just do not like the box even the exhaust brake on them are crap. the MAN and MERCS are much more in control.

sweeper1gg:
Hi folks, anyhow drove a scania up to motherwell yesterday a 10 plate it was the semi auto anyhow left haydock by the time it got to preston the seat lost its air so i was on the floor, so i pulled over and tried to stick some wood in the switch but to no success :frowning: so sat on the jacket for 4hrs lol, my biggest problem was the gearbox put the thing in auto and it wouldnā€™t change up to 2nd unless i did it manually but here is the thing the truck would only drive in auto but i had to change gear manually. so i gets to motherwell put the truck on the bay handbrake on truck is in neutral, so try to start the truck it wouldnā€™t start it was stuck in gear but in neutral on the column. so i got another trucker and the shunter chap tried giving me a hand and they was puzzled also, so we calls for a fitter sat there for 10 mins went to start it and it started straightaway. i was setting of at roundabouts and the thing was going into neutral anyone else had trouble like this with a scania. I have drove loads of them never one like this give me an MAN truck any day.

Did you ever think about calling the operator, depot or base or someone with a little bit more nous than you.

If a truck has a ā€œfunnyā€ problem then park and defect it. You might be motoring on ā€œsitting on your jacketā€ but what could happen next may be horrendous.

I am assuming it is not your truck so what can you lose by parking up. If it was your truck then a call out fee is cheaper than a bust engine and safer too.

sweeper1gg:

Actrosman:

Thanks for the reply :wink: these scanias seem to struggle with a lot of weight on from my experience they donā€™t seem to know what gear to choose in auto and when you are setting off up a hill i have had them stall because they change at the wrong time so i always use manual when setting off up hill, i just do not like the box even the exhaust brake on them are crap. the MAN and MERCS are much more in control.

I had that problem last week. Full load of beer and it would not select a lower gear than third so I had to switch to manual to pull away uphill. I have had the same issue with a Volvo though. Fortunately it was Iceland so I could select manual. Somerfield fitted plates to prevent the driver putting it into manual which would have been inconvenient had it happened in one of their trucks