Scania Gearbox Malfunction

I have a Scania R480, 2013, with manual gearbox.
Every so often it throws up the above fault , which no one can reliably fix. The warning comes on while in motion. The next time you stop the vehicle and then try to resume your journey, the range change is locked in low. When a diagnostic check is carried out the fault always comes up as being the neutral sensor. Although no fault can be found when testing the sensor, I’ve changed it on more than one occasion and also swapped it for the reverse light switch (which is an identical item). New wiring to the switch has been installed and the cab controller has been changed several months ago. No progress has been made in finding the problem, and the finest mechanical minds are now baffled.
As soon as the fitter clears the fault by computer, all is good, and off I go till the next time, which can be three months or one week away.
I’m wondering if anyone on here has had anything similar and knows what the problem might be.
Before anyone asks, there has been no tacho tampering, and no evidence of loss of speed signal from the transmitter.
The one thing I’m wondering if it may be relevant is that I very often change gear without using the clutch.

id think youve diagnosed your own problem there bud.
why dont you try driving it for a month without missing the clutch change?
scania have never heard of an eaton twin splitter old school style of gearbox,so i wouldnt think the ecu/brains will expect it to be the style of driving used.
its similar to hitting neutral at the top of a decent hill in an auto,getting it up to the high 80!s then wondering if the box is going to ■■■■ itself once you smack it into drive again…passes the time on a quiet day,but not a pastime for everyone. :slight_smile:

Seconded. I reckon the ECU is throwing a fit because you’re not driving the wagon as the manufacturer intends so every so often you have a scenario it doesn’t know how to handle.

Did you buy this used from somewere if you have it may have had a magnet put onto the gearbox a few times.This can cause problems further down the line and a new ECU may be needed.

Presumably you have eliminated any problem with water ingress making the detent stick?

Conor:
Seconded. I reckon the ECU is throwing a fit because you’re not driving the wagon as the manufacturer intends so every so often you have a scenario it doesn’t know how to handle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
OI,!!
is that you agreeing with me now■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

Old John:
I have a Scania R480, 2013, with manual gearbox.
Every so often it throws up the above fault , which no one can reliably fix. The warning comes on while in motion. The next time you stop the vehicle and then try to resume your journey, the range change is locked in low. When a diagnostic check is carried out the fault always comes up as being the neutral sensor. Although no fault can be found when testing the sensor, I’ve changed it on more than one occasion and also swapped it for the reverse light switch (which is an identical item). New wiring to the switch has been installed and the cab controller has been changed several months ago. No progress has been made in finding the problem, and the finest mechanical minds are now baffled.
As soon as the fitter clears the fault by computer, all is good, and off I go till the next time, which can be three months or one week away.
I’m wondering if anyone on here has had anything similar and knows what the problem might be.
Before anyone asks, there has been no tacho tampering, and no evidence of loss of speed signal from the transmitter.
The one thing I’m wondering if it may be relevant is that I very often change gear without using the clutch.

I can help you here. I have been driving manual Scania for 20 years now,and using the clutch for ,about 1. When the P/R series were introduced,the gearboxes had the neutral position sensir added. This sensor measures a few things-the most important is that the clutch is depressed before changing between the ranges. If you go down the range,without depressing the clutch,and blip the throttle to get the gear to engage(you know,to match the revs to the gearing),then the sensor sences this and throws up the fault. Putting the truck on the diagnostic is the only way to get the gearbox to work properly again.
You can still do clutchless changes,just use the pedal between ranges.

Thanks to all for your replies.
I had hoped to flush out someone else to whom this was happening , but not so far.Surely I’m not the only person out here who drives in this way?
It’s the completely random nature of the fault that is really baffling. I am the only driver, and my style of driving is fairly consistent. I’m on much the same routes all the time and nearly always in demanding territory where a lot of gearshifting is required. The fault can occur after three months or one week and always the same cause and cure. The neutral sensor is a very simple device which does nothing but make and break an earth circuit.
The clutch pedal has a potentiometer on it which enables the splitter section of the gearbox, also engagement of the pto and operation of the dreaded clutch saver mode, which I had deleted ages ago. All of this will be combined with info from the speed sensor which will prevent the range change from operating when it shouldn’t. This is why a lot of Scania manual boxes were reduced to scrap by the magnet lads as the speed signal was being corrupted. I’ve never tried a magnet on it, but I’m told by people who know about these things that on a truck of this age, it throws the whole thing crazy and leaves a very clear trace.
Anyway, I’ve managed to do a whole week now driving in the way that the manufacturer intended, so I’ll keep at it and see what happens.
Overall, I’ve not been at all impressed by the vehicle, but if they put twin splitters or better still Fuller 13 speeders in them, they would be so much better. I don’t imagine that will be a very popular suggestion.
Cheers Guys.

Old John:
Thanks to all for your replies.
I had hoped to flush out someone else to whom this was happening , but not so far.Surely I’m not the only person out here who drives in this way?
It’s the completely random nature of the fault that is really baffling. I am the only driver, and my style of driving is fairly consistent. I’m on much the same routes all the time and nearly always in demanding territory where a lot of gearshifting is required. The fault can occur after three months or one week and always the same cause and cure. The neutral sensor is a very simple device which does nothing but make and break an earth circuit.
The clutch pedal has a potentiometer on it which enables the splitter section of the gearbox, also engagement of the pto and operation of the dreaded clutch saver mode, which I had deleted ages ago. All of this will be combined with info from the speed sensor which will prevent the range change from operating when it shouldn’t. This is why a lot of Scania manual boxes were reduced to scrap by the magnet lads as the speed signal was being corrupted. I’ve never tried a magnet on it, but I’m told by people who know about these things that on a truck of this age, it throws the whole thing crazy and leaves a very clear trace.
Anyway, I’ve managed to do a whole week now driving in the way that the manufacturer intended, so I’ll keep at it and see what happens.
Overall, I’ve not been at all impressed by the vehicle, but if they put twin splitters or better still Fuller 13 speeders in them, they would be so much better. I don’t imagine that will be a very popular suggestion.
Cheers Guys.

Sorry,I think I need to make myself clearer. This fault has happened to me on more than one occasion,as can be verified by the Scania mechanics at my work. The only way to get the above fault on is to rev the engine,whilst in neutral- without the clutch being depressed. Most Scania mechanics are unaware of the phenomenon & will happily change the sensor & clear the fault with the diagnostic. The guys have been out to me in rigids & units,and not known what the fault is. I have taken mechanics out and replicated the fault to them,once we figured what was causing the issue. Trust me on this,as long as you use the clutch between range changes,the fault won’t come back.

Thanks Skippy.
Sorry, I didn’t quite understand your first post, but reading it again and then this one, I get what you are saying. I can understand exactly how what you describe can occur when going either third/ fourth and vice versa, whilst moving and not depressing the clutch, but I’m struggling to grasp how it will happen when merely revving the engine. However , every day’s a schoolday!

The lad who does my work is a top man with Scanias, after the last time he was out at the fault, about a week ago, I suggested to him that the clutch less changes might be a factor. He said he’s never seen the problem before, but then, he also said he doubted if he had ever come across a driver who didn’t use the clutch, so it was a possibility. He’ll be interested to hear about your experience.
In the meantime, I’ll just have to try to keep driving it as the Angry Chicken co. intended.

Skippy’s experience sounds on the money.

However, as a general comment i have to take me hat off to you chaps :sunglasses: that can manage or more to the point (cos many of us would probably do so if we needed to) actually prefer clutchless changes on any bloody Scania or Volvo with any of their horrid manual boxes, all of which in my experience have been hateful bloody things which baulk from day one till the day they blow up for the last time.

Juddian:

However, as a general comment i have to take me hat off to you chaps :sunglasses: that can manage or more to the point (cos many of us would probably do so if we needed to) actually prefer clutchless changes on any bloody Scania or Volvo with any of their horrid manual boxes, all of which in my experience have been hateful bloody things which baulk from day one till the day they blow up for the last time.

Juddian. With my not extensive experience with a Scania 3 over 3 (6 months or so) I totally agree. Bloody awful things that should have at least a nine speed RR.

peterm:

Juddian:

Juddian. With my not extensive experience with a Scania 3 over 3 (6 months or so) I totally agree. Bloody awful things that should have at least a nine speed RR.

Agree totally with your sentiments on both Scania and Volvo manuals.
The Scania is very easy to operate without clutch , the Volvo much less so. You CAN do it, but it’s not worth the bother.

The last manual Scania I drove had worn gear selectors and would pop out of gear from time to time. Usually just after changing down before a steep descent :confused:

That could get a bit interesting. I didn’t mind the Scania, just that 'orrible gearbox and clutch saver.

I always hated the Scania gearbox too. The sloppy gearstick, the always grinding one of the gears (4th/1st high was it?) and the clutch saver all conspired to make it a bad gearbox imo. MAN and DAFs 16 speeder is/was much much better in every way.

Old John:
Thanks Skippy.
Sorry, I didn’t quite understand your first post, but reading it again and then this one, I get what you are saying. I can understand exactly how what you describe can occur when going either third/ fourth and vice versa, whilst moving and not depressing the clutch, but I’m struggling to grasp how it will happen when merely revving the engine. However , every day’s a schoolday!

The lad who does my work is a top man with Scanias, after the last time he was out at the fault, about a week ago, I suggested to him that the clutch less changes might be a factor. He said he’s never seen the problem before, but then, he also said he doubted if he had ever come across a driver who didn’t use the clutch, so it was a possibility. He’ll be interested to hear about your experience.
In the meantime, I’ll just have to try to keep driving it as the Angry Chicken co. intended.

This is the problem with this fault,no one has seen it before. I’ve seen some very befuddled Scania roadside guys because of it. Trying to explain the problem,whilst not wanting to admit it’s only happened because you have forgotten (AGAIN !) & know exactly what will cure it. One even wanted it recovered,because it was obviously going to cause the box to blow up !
Had to swallow my pride on that one & fess up.
I have found Scania gearboxes ok,bit graunchy when cold & always wear the synchro on the first gear through the range,but the reason they are easier to clutchless change is that the entire linkage is metal tube. The volvo’s are cable operated & are a pure ■■■■■■■ in comparison. It’s abit like the twin splitter (I know,sorry),in an erf with mechanical linkage,a joy. In a Foden,with cables-not so much.