Scania G cab ...

Just found out that some of our Premiums are getting replaced by G cab Scanias.

Now having just parked next to one they don’t look like they have a lot of room in compared to the Premium?

I know there was sod all storage space in the Renault but is the Scania going to be worse?

I always chuckle at this kind of thing, I know times have changed, but a G cabbed Scania could never be considered small, of course there’s a lot bigger out there, but they’ve got to be more than big enough for a week away :question:

Especially when you think that the things drivers carry with them now are all so much smaller, an Ipod instead of a box of tapes, a sat nav instead of a load of map books, little flat screen TVs instead of a tea chest sized black and white ‘portable’ so really the only reason you feel that you need so much space is because you’ve had it before and accumulated a load of crap you don’t need. (I know this happens as I’m guilty myself, cleaned my cab out completely a while back and filled my car up and I’d already thrown half of the stuff in the skip :laughing: )

Now, having said that, more and more firms are running the biggest cabs possible, so I guess it is a bit disheartening to think that you’re getting short changed as such :wink:

All of our competitors are running xf’s, globbys, toplines or similar.

We have 4 toplines out of 30 motors, the rest are a mix of xf’s and premium. Far more renaults than dafs though.

When we were told we getting more Scanias, we sort of assumed they would be toplines!

Oh get over it its a job and your paid to drive it if want choice set up an owner sriver

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Well I happen to drive for a certain large haulage firm (that begins with ‘s’ and ends in ‘tobart’) on a supermarket contract so we have a lot of G400 four wheelers with some R440 highlines as well.

The only real difference I notice is that when you jump into the R series the floor is flatter? The G series has a high engine hump, which on the other hand is useful for notes lunchbox etc?

Sure I’ve read somewhere (possibly on here) that the G series is the whatever the R series predecessor was, with a few updates (dash etc)■■

Probably not much help tbh… :slight_smile:

I’m looking at a G cab now. It looks more than adequate. Are you out all week?

lankyphil:
Well I happen to drive for a certain large haulage firm (that begins with ‘s’ and ends in ‘tobart’) on a supermarket contract so we have a lot of G400 four wheelers with some R440 highlines as well.

The only real difference I notice is that when you jump into the R series the floor is flatter? The G series has a high engine hump, which on the other hand is useful for notes lunchbox etc?

Sure I’ve read somewhere (possibly on here) that the G series is the whatever the R series predecessor was, with a few updates (dash etc)■■

Probably not much help tbh… :slight_smile:

The 4 series…

I’ve heard that the floor & engine cover In the G series Is very similar to the floor & engine cover In the old 4 series…

think your self lucky imm away all week in my Ford D series with a lengh of ply as me bed

bjd:
think your self lucky imm away all week in my Ford D series with a lengh of ply as me bed

Think yourself lucky! Try a D308 Dodge, that tiny little cab with the big engine hump in the middle. These young un’s don’t know the half of it.
Bernard

alix776:
Oh get over it its a job and your paid to drive it if want choice set up an owner sriver

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

However i do have an ultimate choice whether i drive it or not.

I would suggest that fleet choice, when you are away all week, is a very close second to money when deciding to take a tramping job.

we have g cab highlines on our shift, we are out 5/6 days a week and we cab hop between 5 trucks so my gear comes with me, what are the like…well not much difference from the r series highline except as has been posted, the flatter floor and the bunks are smaller in width, still a pain to move the seat for setting up the bunk. for being out 4/5 nights a week they arent a bad motor, plenty of storage space above the window, little pockets for storage above both doors and you have the top bunk for more storage.

oh if you get them with a fridge i find its better to take you cool box and use the fridge for storing paperwork and flask etc…obviously turn the fridge off first :slight_smile:

albion1938:

bjd:

Think yourself lucky! Try a D308 Dodge, that tiny little cab with the big engine hump in the middle. These young un’s don’t know the half of it.
Bernard

Piffle. I have to sleep in a hammock strung between my cart horses legs. You youngsters dont know you’re born with your motorised trundlewagons.

I have slept in the back of a removals wagon :laughing: , did have about 100 blankets piled high round me , how about sleepng in a wardrobe ctn layed flat in the back .

JAKEY:
I have slept in the back of a removals wagon :laughing: , did have about 100 blankets piled high round me , how about sleepng in a wardrobe ctn layed flat in the back .

Luxury!

JAKEY:

Wouldnt have been Pickfords would it :laughing:

The G Cab isn’t that bad. You’ll get used to it mate. Just as usable as a Premium.

JAKEY:

More like slept in the back of the van, in the customers bed :slight_smile: . . got caught short and ■■■■ in a tea chest once :neutral_face:

DAF95XF:

JAKEY:

Wouldnt have been Pickfords would it :laughing:

Used to bundle theres didnt they?. . must have been a bit uncomfortable :slight_smile:

switchlogic:

albion1938:

bjd:

Bernard

Piffle. I have to sleep in a hammock strung between my cart horses legs. You youngsters dont know you’re born with your motorised trundlewagons.

And I bet you used to live in shoebox in t’middle of t’road.
Bernard

albion1938:

switchlogic:

albion1938:

bjd:

Bernard

And I bet you used to live in shoebox in t’middle of t’road.
Bernard

You were lucky…