Scania Fuel Tanks

The Scanias that I have driven have had a fuel tank on each side.

Stickers on the fuel tanks say which tank you “MUST” fill first although
it is NOT always the offside one first as I had a semi-auto Scania with
a very large nearside tank and that “HAD” to be refuelled first.

My question is why do you have to refuel in a particular way and what
are the consequences if you don’t do it that way ?

I’ve seen plenty of drivers refuel Scanias “incorrectly” and I even asked
the local Scania dealer why we fill in a particular order and they didn’t even know.

Dieseldoforme:
The Scanias that I have driven have had a fuel tank on each side.

Stickers on the fuel tanks say which tank you “MUST” fill first although
it is NOT always the offside one first as I had a semi-auto Scania with
a very large nearside tank and that “HAD” to be refuelled first.

My question is why do you have to refuel in a particular way and what
are the consequences if you don’t do it that way ?

I’ve seen plenty of drivers refuel Scanias “incorrectly” and I even asked
the local Scania dealer why we fill in a particular order and they didn’t even know.

If you fill the smallest tank first, it won’t fill the larger tank very quickly, doing the largest tank it will transfer into the smaller tank ok, if you get my drift.

Probably the tank you “must fill first” is the feeder tank - i.e. the one that supplies the engine. The other tank will drain into that one, although I don’t myself see how it matters, unless you are running very low and decide to buy say just 20 gallons to get you home then you will at least have put it into the most useful tank.

You need to fill up the main tank 1st then the other side second as the stickers say for 2 reasons

1. the 1st feeds the engine with fuel (contains stack pipe)

2. if you do it other way around the feeder pipe from tank to tank will become air locked if low enough thus only running on 1 tank

I ran a twin tanker 200/300 for about 3 years, I always filled them both together if possible or if not I’d fill whichever was convenient but undid the opposite filler cap. Never had any problems with it.

i have twin 300lt tanks and only really fill one. it’s never made any difference which one i fill and im always putting in 200 to 240 litres in at a time.:sunglasses:

I have twin 700 litre tanks the only time you need to worry which tank you fill up first is if you are down in the red as filling the wrong one can lead to an airlock in the feeder pipe other than that it makes no difference at all generally if you have twin 700 litre tanks the non feeder tank will always a have more in than the feeder tank anyway

When I had a Renault Turboliner with twin tanks, it didnt have a master and slave tank system, such as on the Scanias. Both tanks had a fuel supply stack and there was a ballancing set up in the middle of the chassis, the tanks both fed the engine and drew down equaly, only ocasional blip would be if the breather pipe on a tank got blocked, then the vacum caused in the tank would mean that the other side would drain dry. I never understood why Scania didnt use a similar system, then it wouldnt matter what tank was done first. Seemed alot more modern than a master and slave :unamused: even though that was nearly 20 years ago :wink:

It makes no difference providing you take both caps off when filling.

You sure about that Phil?

slightly off topic, I had an Iveco eurotech when they first appeared in the country ( I know. )…
I lost my fuel cap one day so we got a new one… the next day the truck didn’t seem to perform as well as it should and i had a wander around it while tipping… this was when i noticed the side of the diesel tank was being vacuumed inwards, due to the new filler cap not being a vented one… luckily it popped back out when i released the cap…you learn something new every day…

Trukkertone:
slightly off topic, I had an Iveco eurotech when they first appeared in the country ( I know. )…
I lost my fuel cap one day so we got a new one… the next day the truck didn’t seem to perform as well as it should and i had a wander around it while tipping… this was when i noticed the side of the diesel tank was being vacuumed inwards, due to the new filler cap not being a vented one… luckily it popped back out when i released the cap…you learn something new every day…

I’ve had that trouble with AdBlue in a Renault Premium. The warning
light came on, something about reduced power, so I removed the cap
that came off with a short intake of breath. I just cleaned up
the cap that was caked in crystallization and the warning disappeared.

Some have a check valve in the cross line under the truck.If the check valve senses the main tank is empty because of no fuel weight it shuts the check valve in case the cross line has been damaged to stop fuel pouring out from the second tank and if you fill the second tank first it locks out the cross line.

So you always fill the main tank first to keep the check valve “open”

Trukkertone:

Its now illegal to have a vented cap as this allows vapours to be vented to atmosphere.
All tanks must have a vent pipe with a one way valve that allows air to enter the tank as the fuel level drops but not realease gasses as the fuel warms up.

Had a truck the other week that kept pressurising the tank.It had a cracked injector pintle and combustion pressure was being pushed via the return fuel line back to the tank and as the tank had no vent when you took the cap off it nearly blew your hand off.