Scania focus group

Well, since I came 2nd in Scanias YETD and off to HQ in Södertälje in a couple of weeks, I have been asked to if I would like to participate in a focus group.

The aim for these discussions is to improve current and future truck design, and, by participating, the drivers have the opportunity to influence the cab of tomorrow and sharing views on the truck drivers’ future role.

This is asking a lot from you guys but if I could please have some sensible ideas, that would be great.

Get rid of that semi-auto clutch nonsense. Seriously. Either manual or auto.

Well, larger sun visor. The current one doesn’t work in low sun. A table on top of the dash so we can get trid of the after market crap. Bigger fridge. Possibility to choose the ride hight by your self. Not just the 1 2 stage button.
Would like to be able to read out the fault codes my self without having to contact a dealer to try and get them to tell me what the nr code means. Would help alot when your in the middle of nowhere with nearest work shop over 2h away.

Not going to argue about the gearbox. To much risk with 700hp+ and a manual. Real automatic is just to ineffective.

Tell them that we are getting taller as a planet population or are already tall and they need to add more height to the front screen.
In the same vain, offer greater telescoping of the steering wheel.
To add climate control as standard as anything that causes the driver to not divert his attention even for 5 seconds is a safety enhancement.

A bit extreme maybe but what about a central driving position? I know its been done on dust carts and so on but with modern cameras and sensors etc maybe it could work. Would certainly reduce design and build costs not having to have LHD/RHD, but would we as drivers accept it? Can’t wait to see this new cab close up, was recently told not til 2016, ugh!

short walk:
A bit extreme maybe but what about a central driving position? I know its been done on dust carts and so on but with modern cameras and sensors etc maybe it could work. Would certainly reduce design and build costs not having to have LHD/RHD, but would we as drivers accept it? Can’t wait to see this new cab close up, was recently told not til 2016, ugh!

I seriously wonder about central driving postion. How about those thight spots you have to revers in to. Cameras and mirrors will never be the same as your own eyes.
Seen the new cab alot around Arvidsjaur, Arjeplog while testing and it’s really not that hughe difference from what I spoted so far. Biggest truck is still the 730 according to Swedish car register :frowning:

Having driven centre wheel drive HGV’s I can only say that they won’t work, they are extremely tricky to drive and you have to leave the seat to come to a window. From what I can remember, you have to imagine a line painted in the centre of the road and aim for it, not easy during the day and even harder during the night. The vehicle I drove was only a class 2, class 1 would be an absolute nightmare to drive.

Anything else anyone would like to add?

Put an arm rest in.

Can we have DAB radio as standard.

Get a volvo :grimacing:

A coffee cup holder that fits my flask.

A decent bed!

Tris:

Thats why its called a cup holder and not a flask holder :unamused:

seth 70:

Tris:

Thats why its called a cup holder and not a flask holder :unamused:

For the cup of my flask, obviously. Is it too much to ask for an adjustable cup holder that works like a pincer?

Getting crabby Tris?

A cruise control that works would be good. Every Scania we’ve got is the same, works fine for 10 minutes or so then cuts out.

eagerbeaver:
Getting crabby Tris?

Yep he is bud,what with getting stressed and wanting tips to drive a 7 1/2 tonner and now the flask ,WTF :laughing: :laughing:

Could be worse Seth. Have you had a gander at the ’ Free licence thread '?

I got me a real stalker!!! PM’s and all lol.

eagerbeaver:
Could be worse Seth. Have you had a gander at the ’ Free licence thread '?

I got me a real stalker!!! PM’s and all lol.

Im on it pal :wink: