Scania Engines

Bking:

Dirty Dan:
I just cant understand why anyone needs them big hp when only running at max 44000kg.
Expencive to buy and often need more fuel/km then a smaler engine with less hp…
I know what i have bought but thats me :sunglasses:

Danne

Its called big ■■■■ waving.Like some jerk in a Ferrari or brain dead FW with a “private” number plate.
Little genatalia so you got to pretend you got a big one by how much money you can “flaunt”

Bking showing his double envys there.

#1: Truck envy

#2: ■■■■■ envy.

Whats up Bking? Cant afford to fake your manhood with a chavved up RS so you get jealous of those than can afford to have a nice car?

With the trucks is all about TCO or total cost of ownership. You may well find that a big V8 costs 25k more, but if it keeps 20k of that when you come to sell it and saves you £5001 over its life on diesel its a good business decision.

Certainly it is very much about the total cost of ownership, but the finance charges or what that money could have earned elsewhere on that extra £25 grand over however many years will have a significant impact upon how good a decision that might turn out to be. Factor in a model change or a new Euro emissions rating and things might look very different when it comes to residual values. The potential fuel savings may sound good, but how achievable are they? with an employee driver? Running fridges all the time you might get near any published figures but pull boxes or tall curtains and it will be a different story.

I’m a little bit confused here, there seems to be a lot of contradiction.

First of all, who really cares how fast you can pull up a hill? It’s a lorry, they slow down on hills, a 450hp 44tonner will give you 10hp/ton and that is more than adequate to maintain good journey times and keep up with traffic.

Secondly, are you running a business or buying a job? Leasing a lorry is just lining someone else’s pockets, a business should have assets, so buying a cheap used lorry is the place to start, you work your way up to top of the range lorries in progressive steps and top of the range is relative to the kind of work you do.

Thirdly, the LEZ, why worry about that? Unless you’re based within its boundaries or have a profitable contract to go there, I wouldn’t even take it into consideration, just avoid the place, it’s nothing but aggro anyway.

And finally, if you’re thinking of taking your business to the next level, finding work should be the next step, not replacing a perfectly good lorry with something newer and more appealing.

That’s my thoughts on the subject, an opinion, nothing more.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I.ll be totally honest in the reason i run 500+ instead of bog standard fleet spec,

i only have one truck with me driving it and if i can afford to spend a bit more then i will, if i was in a mega paying niche market then i would without doubt have a Volvo 750 or the like, willy waving? Maybe, but its my willy and i will wave it werever i fancy

I hear that, I’ve just spent a fortune on a custom built lorry, I’ve spent another fortune tarting it up too, but I’ve got a few years under my belt and I’ve also got the work to justify the expense. It was also a numbers game, I can keep this lorry a long time, rather than get stuck in a 3yr replacement cycle with a never ending monthly truck payment.

So it wasn’t just an indulgence, but like I said, it’s not my first rodeo and I have the work to pay for it. That’s a different situation to the OP, now as I also said, my thoughts are my opinion, I’m not one of these it’s my way or you’re doing it wrong types, everyone is different, but I’m interested to find out the thought process if the OP.

what utter ■■■■■ You obviously drive an inferior truck

Bking:

Dirty Dan:
I just cant understand why anyone needs them big hp when only running at max 44000kg.
Expencive to buy and often need more fuel/km then a smaler engine with less hp…
I know what i have bought but thats me :sunglasses:

Danne

Its called big ■■■■ waving.Like some jerk in a Ferrari or brain dead FW with a “private” number plate.
Little genatalia so you got to pretend you got a big one by how much money you can “flaunt”

newmercman:

First of all, who really cares how fast you can pull up a hill? It’s a lorry, they slow down on hills, a 450hp 44tonner will give you 10hp/ton and that is more than adequate to maintain good journey times and keep up with traffic.

Secondly, are you running a business or buying a job? Leasing a lorry is just lining someone else’s pockets, a business should have assets, so buying a cheap used lorry is the place to start, you work your way up to top of the range lorries in progressive steps and top of the range is relative to the kind of work you do.

Thirdly, the LEZ, why worry about that? Unless you’re based within its boundaries or have a profitable contract to go there, I wouldn’t even take it into consideration, just avoid the place, it’s nothing but aggro anyway.

And finally, if you’re thinking of taking your business to the next level, finding work should be the next step, not replacing a perfectly good lorry with something newer and more appealing.

I agree fully with this.

Punchy Dan:

newmercman:

I agree fully with this.

You buy a truck to work, not work to buy a truck. Hiring a unit to go on box work, you may as well drive directly for them,probably earn as much without the hassle.

newmercman:

On the firstly: I’ve got 11.59 ponies per tonne and it couldn’t pull the skin of a rice pudding. A decent amount of power not only means better journey times, (yes I know its minutes a day, but if you save two minutes per day, thats over eight hours saved per year!

On the secondly: I have taken the decision that it’s better to plan to spend a bit more than leave yourself open to expensive shocks. I’m also not advocating a range topper, just a wagon that can handle what I ask of it.

On the thirdly: LEZs are spreading like a plague, its all well and good saying I can avoid London. If all of the 38 planned LEZs go ahead, thats a hell of a lot of the country I cant go to. Also, I’m making a long term commitment here. If all goes according to plan I’ll still be running this lorry in 2025, so future proofing is necessary.

On the and finally: I’m not replacing a perfectly good lorry. I’m replacing a heap of rubbish. Its under powered, even at 510hp, its too juicy, not comfortable enough, too low, (damage to front bumper from the yard at Newell and Wrights Rotherham, nothing silly, just driving around in the land of potholes) and too expensive. Its also hired and coming to the end of its agreement. I am working on the finding work bit too, strangely for a bloke I can handle that much multi-tasking but I see getting the kit right to be the most important bit. I’m not going to be doing something drastically different in a couple of years time, e.g. Heavy Haulage with the wagon I get now, the only thing I might need to add later down the line is wet gear, and all the options I looked at were PTO ready.

I can keep going ad-infintem as I am at the moment on work, its not mega money but it pays the companies bills and it pays mine. What I can’t do is continue to plod along on medium term hires, never committing to a decent motor.

Finally, its all a bit academic now. The extra cost of the Scania was unjustifiable, so I’ve ordered a Renault.

Thanks for the reply, obviously we think and do things differently, but if it’s working for you and you’re happy, who cares.

Bking:
Asked a Scania “technician” for the firing order of a 5 cylinder piece of crap the other day to set the tappets.
His responce was"they dont have a firing order you got to set the tappets using a computer"
WTF?
Find number one and turn the crank 144 degrees and thats it?
But no you got to have a Computer!!!

The 5 cylinder is a royal pita I think its 144, 288, 144+288m 288+288 and er thats it no computer needed, still waiting for the trun tool I asked for a year ago!
So I havent actually done one yet :grimacing:
If its the older pre common rail engine its even more complicated as the injectors need setting as well.

nsmith1180:
Hi all,

Thinking about what to replace the hired Merc with and I’m currently sitting in a New Generation Scania. Quite frankly, aside from the fact the 450 engine being more Bartleby than Red Rum, it’s the best truck I’ve ever driven.

Its that engine that’s the issue. The 450 struggles at weight, so much so that at 38t I was down to 35mph past Newbury on the A34. More torque required.

My options are 500 or the 580 V8. The 500 only has 200 more torques so I cant see that doing a massive amount to counter the lack of uphill pace. The V8 however has 650 more, thats a bloody Bentley more under the bonnet, throw in the extra two cylinders and it should offer more stable torque.

Can anyone offer me comparative MPGs on these two vs the 450 on similar work?

Please save me from the temptation of a Renault!

I know that you won’t be able to offer me numbers for my work but if you could say that you have a 450 doing 9mpg on your work, a 500 doing x and a V8 doing y it should give me a rough idea of how much more motion lotion the bigger motors will use.

Maybe you should get a Merc 480 engine good motor and adequate pulling power and a great fuel saver. Company I work for got the Fuel challenger on demo and it did better MPG than the Daf’s and majority loads were full load of spuds I got 9.5 - 10 + mpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even if you buy a construction spec truck it will get destroyed in NWT Rotherham yard.

Wildy:
Even if you buy a construction spec truck it will get destroyed in NWT Rotherham yard.

Yup, Got to the point where I refused to go in there except for MSC boxes. and I took before and after photos every time I went in so if I did more damage i could sue.

nsmith1180:

Wildy:

Yup, Got to the point where I refused to go in there except for MSC boxes. and I took before and after photos every time I went in so if I did more damage i could sue.

They were doing some more tarmaccing yesterday.

Running an S500, had R450 demo, these trucks have a very relaxed approach reference shift strategy and overall gearing, especially compared to my previous FH 540 .
Personally fuel is far more important to me than journey time.
S500 1 to 2 mpg better than Fh, although it has taken 6 months for me to let go of the crisp ( for a 13 ltr) performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I think I might have posted on this topic already. Never mind,
I’ve still got the 13 plate R480 (ad blue), which I thought would be good.
What a load of junk! I chopped in a 420 volvo for it, and it doesn’t go one bit quicker than the aforementioned Volvo , and is around half a mile to the gallon worse on fuel. I struggle to average seven mpg. It has what i assume is the standard final drive ratio, and as i do very little motorway mileage, i dont spend much time in top gear. It also seems very low on torque compared to the Volvo Its one and only redeeming feature is that it has been very reliable, but then it only turned 380, 000km last week.
Two questions. Does anyone know if it’s worth trying to get it remapped, and also, is the 490 as much better an engine as some say it is?

nsmith1180:
Hi all,

Thinking about what to replace the hired Merc with and I’m currently sitting in a New Generation Scania. Quite frankly, aside from the fact the 450 engine being more Bartleby than Red Rum, it’s the best truck I’ve ever driven.

Its that engine that’s the issue. The 450 struggles at weight, so much so that at 38t I was down to 35mph past Newbury on the A34. More torque required.

My options are 500 or the 580 V8. The 500 only has 200 more torques so I cant see that doing a massive amount to counter the lack of uphill pace. The V8 however has 650 more, thats a bloody Bentley more under the bonnet, throw in the extra two cylinders and it should offer more stable torque.

Can anyone offer me comparative MPGs on these two vs the 450 on similar work?

Please save me from the temptation of a Renault!

I know that you won’t be able to offer me numbers for my work but if you could say that you have a 450 doing 9mpg on your work, a 500 doing x and a V8 doing y it should give me a rough idea of how much more motion lotion the bigger motors will use.

I love the Scania"s but when it comes to power on climbing hill Iveco 450/500 were best followed by Daf xf 430/480
Scania has a history of damaging drive shaft when start fully loaded on a middle of hill, where Actros is best to climb with easly 60-70 tonne with no damage but on low speed.

I have witnessed this in part of Africa where you do 28-40 klm of 80% hill which most truckers happen to climb on 2-3 gear speed on low.

for a 44t I think any artic lorry can handle providing driver is planning well ahead, I don’t see the necessary of V8.

davidjohn:
for a 44t I think any artic lorry can handle providing driver is planning well ahead, I don’t see the necessary of V8.

I agree with you which is why I’m now the proud owner of a Renault! I found a V8 wasn’t necessary after all. Now an Aston Martin on the other hand, totally necessary. Please excuse me while I raid my Stiggy Bank.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:

davidjohn:

I agree with you which is why I’m now the proud owner of a Renault! I found a V8 wasn’t necessary after all. Now an Aston Martin on the other hand, totally necessary. Please excuse me while I raid my Stiggy Bank.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The V8 are good to drive you get the V8 sound and the extra power but if its not bringing any extra in to the revenue compared to standard artic not worth it…

But I will also put this in to the consideration since you drive your own truck full time. In what truck will I spend my most time happy with no regret even if it will cost a bit more on costing but after all well rest and happy time spent will result a good outcome.