Scania. Crap? Or an example of Murphy's Law in action?

Or do we put it down to “The theory of unintended consequences.”

Twice recently, I have driven different ‘new’ vehicles, in the context that they were new to the roads, having only four or five numerals on the ‘odo’ whereby, when switching on the headlights, the dash display failed to dim.

Normally it wouldn’t be a problem but, with double mirrors now to the offside and, hence the flat mirror being at the bottom, what one invariably sees is the reflection of the the dash dials when one is looking in the mirror for close proximity vehicles, and is particularly noticeable in rainy conditions.

In one instance, I virtually ‘lost’ a car that was alongside me on a Motorway when I was about to move out to overtake. :blush:

I never had this problem when the ‘R’ series was first introduced, essentially because the mirror was mounted higher and, there was a ‘dimming’ control for the display lights. Or am I dreaming the latter. :laughing:

On the first instance where I noticed the problem, it was in a tri-axle 420 and presumed that it was a one-off. I have since discovered the same problem in a twin-axle G380.

If I ‘defect’ the vehicles then I know that the response will no doubt be derisory. The people responsible for that side of it don’t go out in the dark. :stuck_out_tongue:

It may be a software problem. It may be a wiring problem. Either way Scania need to issue a Service Bulletin to address the issue. Otherwise, people are likely to get hurt. :wink:

Easy solution.

Scrap the Scania,and drive a Volvo.

Ken.

I agree we need to scrap all the scanias. Then the world would be a better places :laughing: :laughing:

even better get a reno lol. the dash auto dims when I go through tunnels and that. took me an age to figure out how it knew I was in a tunnel lol

sean vernon:
I agree we need to scrap all the scanias. Then the world would be a better places :laughing: :laughing:

With statements like that you could give the president elect a run for his money!

HOW very dare you quinny, how very dare you :wink:

Quinny:
Easy solution.

Ken.

:wink:

Driver Trainer had a wide angle fitted to the driver side same as the near side mirror Everyone that has driven it has said its a pain and causes a blind spot at round abouts and junctions.( if thats what your on about) as for the diming of the dash lights thought they dimmed by the 4 buttons on the lower left hand side by pushing + or - by the trip and clock adjustment if that makes any sence well thats on the 54’s we have so I dont know about the new new stuf

ive got a new 58 plate scania R420 you can dim the dash lights by useing the plus/minus buttons (the 4 that also set the clock) tho even when the dash lights are dimmed they still reflect in the o/s window!!! i agree its the biggest pile of [zb] that i have had the misfortune to drive (and ive driven some sheds) the opticruse is rubbish its to slow to change gear and try and pull off from lights with any weight on haha what a joke!!! give me my old actros back anyday!!!

sean vernon:

well anything 4 series onwards, the older ones are good trucks

the renault steve o, you sure its not a random electrical problem that renaults rarely have :laughing:

Volvo FH16’S ftw guys :wink:

euromat:

sean vernon:

well anything 4 series onwards, the older ones are good trucks

the renault steve o, you sure its not a random electrical problem that renaults rarely have :laughing:

I worked at a firm that had g-reg 113 360s. Proper flying machines they were Then the gaffer bought a new n-reg 113 360 with euro emissions gubbins on the engine-pile of poop it was! Theyve gone steadily downhill since (i suppose the v8 might be a different matter)
Scania trade on past glories

JB:

euromat:

sean vernon:

Give this man a prize,that’s one of the best statement’s i’ve read on here yet.

sean vernon:

Well said that man :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

SCANIA, Over rated over priced and over here.

JB:

I couldn’t agree more.

Krankee,

its a Scania, if you are getting reflections in your mirrors you need to read the manual.

Page 14 - Part 4 - Reflections caused by overbright instrument cluster illumination obscuring mirrors.
Scania Fix:- Pull your tassled curtains over the side windows until reflection or mirrors are obscurred.

See a simple fix and there’s you thinking Scania drivers hide behind their curtains because they are embarrased. :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Quinny:
Easy solution.

Ken.

Scania was a great truck, there’s a guy near me that runs ‘E’ and ‘G’ reg Scania units on the grounds of reliability, easy to maintain, no finance, no money to lose as they were paid for years ago. Couple of years ago he bought new Scania’s, the drivers didn’t like them and they were unreliable. He now uses the old Scania’s and is back in profit again. On a personal level I dont like Scania’s (except the older one’s), give me a proper truck like a Volvo anyday :wink:

Tiger.

i used to love working on scanias when i was a mechanic,they were well thought out,simple,and easy to maintain.i used to think they were the dogs dangly bits,till i got one of the 4 series at a car transporter company i worked at.what a haep of junk,it was horrible to drive,crap to live in,just basically the worst truck i have ever had.