Scania back ache - group action

Anybody remember this? Must’ve have been about 20 years ago. .

I remember something about this.

RHD versions had a problem with seat arrangement & peddels , i think. Causing the drivers to get severe backache…

Didn’t Tesco get rid of Scania units (the 113s with short cab) due to a lot of drivers suffering back pain and taking legal action or something? Or was that rumour a case of… :smiley:.
image.jpeg
I know when we started getting the 94 rigids in, we had to sign a ‘disclaimer’ saying we had been trained on the proper use and adjustment of the seats :unamused:

Yes something like that or the seat front to rear suspension. Was it ever resolved?

The new Scanias still turn your left foot in a bit. .

And something else that always bugged me, the accelerator pedal was (most of the time) always positioned further forward from the brake pedal, meaning instead of just rolling your foot over, you had to lift your leg and then (providing the great big clumpy soled work boots didn’t get caught) hit the brakes? Somewhere out there is a truck manufacturer that will someday build a unit and every tall/short/fat/skinny driver will be able to say 'yep…this is the one!

Actrosman:
And something else that always bugged me, the accelerator pedal was (most of the time) always positioned further forward from the brake pedal, meaning instead of just rolling your foot over, you had to lift your leg and then (providing the great big clumpy soled work boots didn’t get caught) hit the brakes? Somewhere out there is a truck manufacturer that will someday build a unit and every tall/short/fat/skinny driver will be able to say 'yep…this is the one!

Yes I had the same problem with my car and the response was - ‘it is a deliberate design to stop you pressing both pedals accidently in an emergency stop situation’

I always made a bit of an effort to press the clutch in when doing an ES, just to stop things like everything locking up!! :laughing:

Actrosman:
I always made a bit of an effort to press the clutch in when doing an ES, just to stop things like everything locking up!! :laughing:

Yes but we are talking general public here - I looked into it a bit and found a few tales of cars ‘accelerating by themselves’ in accidents and this was the reason. I actually ended up adjusting the brake pedal down myself (even after main dealer said it wasn’t possible) :unamused:

Actrosman:

From memory, when the braking test was part of the LGV driving test you were expected to put the clutch in before coming to a stop to avoid stalling the engine. If you didn’t, it was a fail.

Of course, the clutch pedal is the other side of the steering column, so less chance of you hitting both pedals with one foot.

something good:
Yes something like that or the seat front to rear suspension. Was it ever resolved?

A bit :open_mouth:
I get serious leg ache after driving one of our 65 plate ones after an hour or so… :imp:

DAF95XF:

something good:

A bit :open_mouth:
I get serious leg ache after driving one of our 65 plate ones after an hour or so… :imp:

I’m no medic - but on the new Scanias there is less legroom because of the new seat design so you need to adjust the seat higher rather than further back to make it more comfortable. Crap I know. .

asda Washington took group action they found iirc the pedals were offset so you were by all means driving twisted, I hated them we had the old bag of nails 113 before and despite being awful to drive were far more comfy than the new one they replaced them with.

If you adjust the seat higher to get more comfortable (ESPECIALLY if you are tall), you end up looking through sun visor and the lower edge of a locker!!

Windscreens are too low as it is.

Wasnt it only on the low (P?) cabs,as the engine hump meant the seat was slightly off centre to the steering wheel?The bigger(taller) cabs hadnt got that problem.

I drove a brand new 4 series P cabbed Scania in 1997 for six weeks and developed a severe back pain. I had to ask to be put back on my old 3 series or I would have to leave. They did so and I have never driven a Scania 4 series and newer since. It took two years of chiropractic and osteopathic treatment to sort me out. I had a couple of workmates suffer the same albeit not as severe as the agony I suffered. I remember one of the petrol companies reporting back problem issues from some of their drivers at the time. As someone has already mentioned it was the ergonomics of the P cab meant the spine was not aligned correctly when driving.

The complaints will stop simply by fitting a few modifications to the cab. These are;
Swirly graphics on the side windows.
Having the bhp rating painted on the cab sides.
Painting the dashboard.
A white steering wheel.
A chrome badge with “Super” stuck on the grille.
An air duster hose dangling down infront of the drivers’ face.

It’s guaranteed that any Scania drivers’ complaints will disappear if the above advice is taken.
Source; Tang Wavers Association Trust.

I recently (about 5mths ago) was working for a firm with an all Scania fleet.

There were different models and specs, a few G and R series, but different ages and specs, some manual, some auto, some auto with a clutch, some windy windows, some 1 electric window and some 2 electric windows.

1 thing they all had in common, after a full days driving in them, my left ■■■■ cheek used to bloody kill, tried everything, altering the seat in different ways, in the R series I’ve tried putting my left foot on the engine hump (not possible in the G), but nothing seemed to stop it.

I was only there a few months, and I’m about to have a scan on my left hip because I still get pain in my left hip and left ■■■■ cheek, but never had it before.

Coincidence possibly.

Never been a fan of Scania’s, and now I actively avoid driving them, even turned down a job when I went and they said “And your truck will be that Scania…”

eagerbeaver:
If you adjust the seat higher to get more comfortable (ESPECIALLY if you are tall), you end up looking through sun visor and the lower edge of a locker!!

Windscreens are too low as it is.

Yes thats true (and I am tall) - The new seats are more comfortable but the trade off is less leg room. Disappointed again. .

In the early 2000s the TGWU took class action against Scania due to Drivers complaining of neck/back problems as a result of driving Scanias. The action centered around the right hand drive versions due to the driving controls, ie steering wheel, pedals etc being slightly offset to the Driver’s seat meaning that the Driver was sat in a slightly twisted position whilst driving.
After numerous hours of form filling by the Driver, meeting with Solicitors, travel expenses not paid and having a medical at a central location, again the Driver footing the travel expenses, a court date was set at the High Court in London for the case to be heard.

Guess what,the TGWU pulled out at the last minute due to lack of funding. All bluster and no balls sprang to mind at the time!

robbo99:
In the early 2000s the TGWU took class action against Scania due to Drivers complaining of neck/back problems as a result of driving Scanias. The action centered around the right hand drive versions due to the driving controls, ie steering wheel, pedals etc being slightly offset to the Driver’s seat meaning that the Driver was sat in a slightly twisted position whilst driving.
After numerous hours of form filling by the Driver, meeting with Solicitors, travel expenses not paid and having a medical at a central location, again the Driver footing the travel expenses, a court date was set at the High Court in London for the case to be heard.

Guess what,the TGWU pulled out at the last minute due to lack of funding. All bluster and no balls sprang to mind at the time!

Thanks Rob - Do you know by how much the controls were offset. They are still offset now by about 30 mm but no one seems to complain (present company excepted) :slight_smile: