Scania 480 gear change

Hey been driving for a few years now always in a automatic an now i have a new job an the motor has a manual gearbox not driven a manual since my test ! can anyone give me any tips on using a stick lol

I doubt it is an 8speed like mine, but I use mine as a crash 'box when dropping from high to low range as the change isn’t great. Sorry, mentioning crash boxes will stress you more. :laughing:

If you scroll down, you’ll see the gear pattern of the truck you will be driving. Nothing else I can really help with other than take your time with it. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Our R480 has the 3 over 3 plus splitter type. I’d think this would be the most likely combo.

It’s a bit odd to start with but I find it quite an easy one to use, once you remember there is no slot in the top left position where 1 usually is. The older ones have a tendency to be a bit troublesome on 4th, we had one that would slide in like a hot knife through butter most of the time but take it down a busy high street and it would crunch and grate so badly you’d end up choosing something else instead :unamused: :smiley:

Seriously?

Question on how to change gear?

Remember to preselect the range change before you come into neutral makes for a smoother change.

As muckaway said. I use my gearbox as a crash box up and dow. Laziness usually.

There’s nothing to it once you’ve been at it 5 minutes.

I was by no means born in a lorry nor do I consider myself a “King of the road”

But surely as a driver you ought to receive some kind of training on a new motor

Yes i suspect it will be a 3 over 3, a synchro box, BUT, as it ages its a bugger of a box for baulking especially when cold, which makes down split shifts, in particular, baulk.

Just take your time, it will all come back.

I’ll take this ideal opprtunity to reiterate that the worse thing we (not me guv) ever did was to welcome auto boxes and ■■■■ easy work, thats a lot of what cheapened the job and helped cause the oversupply of cheap licence holders…as you were… :smiling_imp:

the other peddle is your clutch :unamused:

It begs the question why on earth do they test drivers now on Auto’s only?
You can make the most monumental mistakes with an auto and get away with it, but manual?
Im guessing that you can take your car test in manual or auto and legally drive either?

I’m not sure this has come in yet. It’s pass a car test in manual, pass LGV (or any other) test in an auto and get manual classification added without taking any sort of test in a range change or splitter box

i had a assessment in one of those a few years ago and was advised to always pull away in first, something to do with the ceramic clutch.hth.

Cheers for the replies was a great help ! :slight_smile:

blindspot:
Hey been driving for a few years now always in a automatic an now i have a new job an the motor has a manual gearbox not driven a manual since my test ! can anyone give me any tips on using a stick lol

lol what as the job come to when your asking how to drive a 12 speed scania :open_mouth: try a eaton twin splitter first that will sort you out :sunglasses:

bradfordlad9999:

blindspot:

lol what as the job come to when your asking how to drive a 12 speed scania :open_mouth: try a eaton twin splitter first that will sort you out :sunglasses:

Fuller Roadranger sorts the men out from the boys :wink: :wink: :wink:

This isn’t a how high can you ■■■■ thread, we were all petrified of the bloody boxes when we started and when new buggers like the eaton twin split arrived even if we’d driven all sorts before, how many here would jump into a Scammel gate change or know the sequence of a 12 speed 3 split Foden especially a twin sticker.

bradfordlad9999:

blindspot:

Ahh I’ve been waiting to meet you all my life.

Ladies and Gentlemen quiet please the man who invented lorry driving is about to grace us with a lesson.

FFS you were not born knowing how to do the ■■■■ you know how to do now.

If asking a few questions make the OP a safer driver and saves his employer a wedge in buggered up gearboxes then all power to him.

A fool learns from no one. A wise man from everyone.

If you’re too stupid and arrogant to learn at least have the decency to allow those switched on enough to ask the chance without slagging them off and making yourself look a bell end

Tipper Tom:

bradfordlad9999:

blindspot:

Ahh I’ve been waiting to meet you all my life.

Ladies and Gentlemen quiet please the man who invented lorry driving is about to grace us with a lesson.

FFS you were not born knowing how to do the [zb] you know how to do now.

If asking a few questions make the OP a safer driver and saves his employer a wedge in buggered up gearboxes then all power to him.

A fool learns from no one. A wise man from everyone.

If you’re too stupid and arrogant to learn at least have the decency to allow those switched on enough to ask the chance without slagging them off and making yourself look a bell end

lol

^ that post did make me laugh :laughing:

Anyway as above I too heard the same pull away in 1st but I like pulling away in 3low then I change to 5 high works a treat and smooth everytime.

If however I’m loaded heavily I pull away in 1-2low. I too always when approaching a stop I.e a red traffic light I will for example slow my speed while in 8high and then to 5 high then as I’m still moving 5-10 secs before I take it out of gear I will flick the switch to low gears then when almost stopped 5 seconds later put it into 3low.

This in my lorry is smooth changing but every lorry will be different and depends on weight of load.

In my opinion, during your training you should be taught everything about the different kinds of gearboxes. When I was doing class 2 I learnt “8 through a gate” and class one I learn on a split box. Before taking on a new job with a new gearbox if you have any doubt just be honest and tell your employer because he or she should make sure they are employing someone who knows what they are doing. Not knowing how to correctly use a gearbox could end up with a fatality on the road and I’m sure employers/trainers should make sure that drivers fully understand the various gearboxes they might use throughout their career before sending them out on a job.

Once again cheers for all the comments i just needed some info so i did’nt go in blind i did tell my new employed i only had limited experience with manual gear box & was given three days tuition and now have a good understanding , a little fine tuning needed but hey rome was no build in a day ! An i have never been shy on asking a question but thanks for the positives rather than the negatives :smiley:

I was the reverse until recently; Not fazed by manual 'boxes but I felt like a beginner when I drove a Volvo with Ishift for the first time. Mind you it was that good I didn’t need to know or use manual mode at all. Unlike the MAN I drove.