Scania 440 and 480 Engine Issues

Heard that these engines have been known for head corrosion issues. Anyone know how common this is?

I think I read somewhere that Scania now sell a helpful kit to fix the issue…

Just had my (well the bosses) R440 head gasket repaired.
Gaskets looked like they had been attacked by acid.
Fitters say it had been run for long periods with no or incorrect antifreeze.
There’s another five on the fleet and fitters are expecting them all in for the same problem.
Boss over the moon. :neutral_face:

No, don’t tell me no one ensured that good quality anti freeze mixed with distilled water was used checked at service times for adequate strength and renewed on time :open_mouth: :laughing:

Still car owners are just as neglectful, lets see now, 5 litres Comma 5 year OAT antifreeze for a car (chances are enough to slip a change in at 2.5 years to be on the safe side) £15 free delivery on Amazon, ask me how i know this, 20 litres of distilled water probably £10, so an hour in yer shirt sleeves draining flushing and refilling equal £25 invested in preventative maintenance, versus damage to all sorts of engine parts which could cost anything from £500 (for CHG change alone) upwards to several £thousand :unamused:

My last 440 top line was a 61 plate with about 700 thousand kms on the clock. The head gasket started leaking it was sent straight to scania where they stripped it and discovered that the bores we’re badly corroded! Scania said 10 grand to fix it boss said no and part chopped it for an ex demo 450.

EGR coming home to roost, I’m told. Independent Scania tech says that it’s usually a liner seat issue, ie, liner drops due to corrosion of the block, head gasket then fails. It can be repaired if caught in time but it a big job. He reckons the EGR engines run so hot in that area that it causes the problem, which, to date is not found on the adblue models.

Juddian:
No, don’t tell me no one ensured that good quality anti freeze mixed with distilled water was used checked at service times for adequate strength and renewed on time :open_mouth: :laughing:

I can neither confirm or deny that allegation.
:neutral_face: :smiley: :neutral_face: