Scania 164 problem

Hi there guy,s I a scania 164 480 and I think there is diesel getting into the oil , does anybody have any idea what would be the most likely of causes for this to be happening ,
Thanks

I quite liked the title just because I think anyone who buys a scani has a problem

Injector sleeve possibly cracked

ramhead:
Injector sleeve possibly cracked

Your right though I’ve never heard of one cracking is it a frequent problem with Scanii’s ?

I think cylinder pressure test may well show this up

To be honest a top end rebuild kit on a 164 is so reasonably priced I’d buy the whole kit and do the lot.
Dependant on mileage kit 001 or 002

Worked on a r420 a few years ago came into the workshop with diesel in water.removed all 6 heads and sent them to somebody in hull that replaced the cracked inj sleeves .refit heads etc ,pop a dishwasher tablet into the cooling system,good road test,drain and refil with anti-freeze/water

Hi, I had the same trouble on mine a few years ago, it was a faulty injector, Get the cab over, and run the engine with the head rocker covers off, you can replace the seals in the injectors as well, but scania will tell you otherwise! :wink:

You have two main causes for this chip,

The 1st common problem is the injector seals
2nd is the injector tops leaking
basically you need a special dye to check the 2nd option these are the main 2 problems on the V8 for it making oil !!!
most Scania dealers will tell you its the 1st option as well,and most of the time it is the tops of the injectors what leak while the engine is running you can replace the orings in the injector tops as well… but some times “doing it at home” doesn’t work.
take rocker cover off and look at the injector top there is 2 wires on top of them this is normally were they leak from :wink: Daz

Injector sleeve or seal is gone, try a leak off test it might show which injector it Is :wink:

scania’s in my opinion are electronically & mechanically the simplest truck on the market atm making them a pleasure to work on / with :grimacing:

Thanks for the reply,s guys , I think it’s time to replace the injectors on the old girl as its been ideling ruff for a few months now anyway ,
Another thing I noticed is when the compressor blows off there is a smell of diesel in the air , don’t know if that pinpoints the problem any clearer or not ?
Anybody any idea of the price of replacement injectors as most places are closed now , and I’d say scania will be telephone numbers !

probably quite a lot, depending on what they consist of -sounds like they may well be electronic? they were 300 quid each for a ■■■■■■■ electronic injector, the ones for my daf were about 86 quid each but are in effect only slaves for the electronic control units on the pump itself were are a staggering 750 quid each :open_mouth: not sure if that would have been the price I would have got them from daf at scunny with a bit of haggling but it was the price I got quoted at Stockton when it looked suspiciously like one had failed - thankfully it wasn’t that!

Round about £250~£280ish per injector

Thanks guy,s , I removed rocker covers and checked the top of the injectors where the two wires are fitted , with the engine running there was 2 of eight weeping and 1 a bit worse , scania don’t have and say no parts available for bosch injectors , but I was able to source the electro magnetic solenoid part from a local parts supplier for £70 each , we replaced two and replaced the rubbers on the other to see what happened all leaks have stopped on tickover anyway so we will try it and see now .
Cost of complete injector £337 ex scania and £ 290 ex local motor factor .
Local motor factor says all parts are available to repair bosch injectors although could be cheaper to renew complete .
Thanks for the help guy,s

Sound , I must be getting better at this :grimacing: :grimacing:

pm me ur trucks details & ill see how much i can get injectors for from my parts :wink:

I can’t re call if the 164 has the same leak off rail system as the 124. On the 124 the injector seals would leak and the diesel would travel through the head and out of a tell tale banjo bolt if I remember correctly. We had one that was always trouble. Had a full set of six at less than a year old and then most of them had seals replaced. Just got to get the torque right when re-fitting the injectors. Again, a while since I’ve done them but I think it was an angle torque with the markings on the lower section of the rocker cover. Assuming that is that the V8 uses the same set up.

return pipe leaking into engine