Scania 164 580 v8 2002

Hi all

Bit of advice, are the for mentioned trucks expensive to run, and is it costly to convert to make them Lez compliant? Just asking as this would be a bit of a dream motor but would have to work… Just wondered if anyone with experience could help and it you thought its viable.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too old buy newer at that age it’ll cost a fortune to convert and that may only go to euro 4\5 buy something that will earn you money and won’t be a money pit as something that old will be

Not sure on the Lez side of things but if you buy wisely you can’t go wrong with a 4 series V8, I ran a 2002 164-580 for 3 years,I bought it as a labour of love much like you are looking to do, I sold it in May 2015 to a guy in Ireland and it cost me £250 in depreciation in those 3 years, it was super reliable, I had no major mechanical failures in that time, it had a set of front discs and pads and a pair of front brake calipers, also cab mounts and bushes and a radiator, it was still on the original Rad which had rusted at the bottom.
Fuel wise you will struggle to average 8mpg and if you are running top weight all the time between 7 & 7.5mpg.
I loved driving it, it had real character, it was relentless on long journeys, with masses of power, a massive comfy bed up front, big set of cupboards on the rear wall, what more could you want, as you can probably tell I still miss the old girl,

BUY WISELY…
This is the key, before I bought mine I looked a six ( yes six ) others, heard all the crap about not knowing how many miles they had done due to new tacho heads, rebuilt engines and gearboxes with no proof, chipped to 750hp and would go up ( choose a very steep hill of your choice ) on the limiter, walk away from these, leave them to those with very deep pockets,
What you want is something with as few owners as possible with Scania dealer history or a very detailed service file, anyone still running one will be an enthusiast so should be able to show you receipts/invoices etc, if it has been main dealer serviced you can trace the history back to day one via a Scania dealer, giving the peace of mind of knowing exactly what has and hasn’t been replaced, they do exist believe me, mine was one owner with full Scania history and the o/d I bought it from knew every nut and bolt on her.
Good luck with your dream, Yolo.

We have one, runs from Ireland and to dijon France every week with a full load of beef, I have never once has it lay down. To Convert to lez is straightforward and costs about 700. Look after them right that’s the trick with the 164.

R143-500:
Not sure on the Lez side of things but if you buy wisely you can’t go wrong with a 4 series V8, I ran a 2002 164-580 for 3 years,I bought it as a labour of love much like you are looking to do, I sold it in May 2015 to a guy in Ireland and it cost me £250 in depreciation in those 3 years, it was super reliable, I had no major mechanical failures in that time, it had a set of front discs and pads and a pair of front brake calipers, also cab mounts and bushes and a radiator, it was still on the original Rad which had rusted at the bottom.
Fuel wise you will struggle to average 8mpg and if you are running top weight all the time between 7 & 7.5mpg.
I loved driving it, it had real character, it was relentless on long journeys, with masses of power, a massive comfy bed up front, big set of cupboards on the rear wall, what more could you want, as you can probably tell I still miss the old girl,

BUY WISELY…
This is the key, before I bought mine I looked a six ( yes six ) others, heard all the crap about not knowing how many miles they had done due to new tacho heads, rebuilt engines and gearboxes with no proof, chipped to 750hp and would go up ( choose a very steep hill of your choice ) on the limiter, walk away from these, leave them to those with very deep pockets,
What you want is something with as few owners as possible with Scania dealer history or a very detailed service file, anyone still running one will be an enthusiast so should be able to show you receipts/invoices etc, if it has been main dealer serviced you can trace the history back to day one via a Scania dealer, giving the peace of mind of knowing exactly what has and hasn’t been replaced, they do exist believe me, mine was one owner with full Scania history and the o/d I bought it from knew every nut and bolt on her.

Really unbelievable when you think a brand new or nearly new truck would lose ten times that amount over three years at least! Albeit most large operators don’t actually purchase outright.

dave_k:

R143-500:

BUY WISELY…

Really unbelievable when you think a brand new or nearly new truck would lose ten times that amount over three years at least! Albeit most large operators don’t actually purchase outright.

Much, much more Dave. Our new FH4 volvos have done 30k in 3 years, and that’s after the fleet discount, an single vehicle purchaser would have done 40 :open_mouth:

My boss reckons they’re the worst truck for depresiation on the road at the moment. Even our man’s only done 17k each

I know a lot of people say the big V8 Scanias are over rated but the way they hold value is unbelievable, 7 and 8 yr old trucks still going for silly money

chaversdad:
I know a lot of people say the big V8 Scanias are over rated but the way they hold value is unbelievable, 7 and 8 yr old trucks still going for silly money

Still well north of 30k for 57 plates. That’s 12 plate Volvo money :open_mouth:

And that’s why most scania v8 are binged and specced up on that cab too. The v8 has always held its money.

theres only 3 types of driver…theres the ones driving a 164…theres the ones who would want to drive one,and then theres the liars that say they wouldn’t…class bit of kit as good as it gets. :slight_smile:

By my reckoning the difference in mpg would probably get a smaller motor about 40 miles futher a day at most. Bearing in mind realistically the only 6 cylinders reliable enough to compete at the same price probably need ad blue, ( exception of scabies and MAN) would I be right in thinking the fall in mpg is worth the piece of mind, given the 164 in question hasbeen looked after as stated above? Are parts still readily available, etc ?

OVLOV JAY:

dave_k:

R143-500:

BUY WISELY…

Much, much more Dave. Our new FH4 volvos have done 30k in 3 years, and that’s after the fleet discount, an single vehicle purchaser would have done 40 :open_mouth:

My boss reckons they’re the worst truck for depresiation on the road at the moment. Even our man’s only done 17k each

Yeah, got mixed up with the x10! would have been x100, which is staggering in this particular case.