scania 143

hey everyone… just got one question… can you make a 143 450 compliant with euro2? if so how to go about it? many thanks

DBT :slight_smile:

dbt:
hey everyone… just got one question… can you make a 143 450 compliant with euro2? if so how to go about it? many thanks

Scania have already done it for you mate, unless it’s a very early model, they’re all euro2 :wink:

Morning Dafydd :wink:

newmercman:

dbt:

Scania have already done it for you mate, unless it’s a very early model, they’re all euro2 :wink:

Latest 143 was only euro 1, earlier euro 0. Euro 2 came with 4 series.

Isn’t there some euro 1 to euro 2/3 conversions available? Very expensive propably, filters, catalysators etc.

shuttlespanker:
Morning Dafydd :wink:

morning rob :smiley: lol well evening now… ive been looking about on here abit… found some posts saying that they have to have edc to be euro 2■■ i spoke to garage today… he said that you can but it will cost a couple thousand… then he raised the point of what happens when the rest of the big citys follow london’s lead with their L.E.Z… :frowning: so the option is this… buy the 143 anyway… or buy a rolling shell and put either 144 or 164 engine into it to keep the green peace happy :imp: (altho the 164 is doubtful as the cab would need to be raised) … before anyone says waste of time ITS NOT TO ME OK!.. it would cost the same amount of money to do that as it would to buy a 143 anyway…

but, if you buy a 143 rolling shell and put a different engine in, it would still possibly not work either, as i have told you many times before, don’t waste your money on a 143

although they are an iconic truck, that is where they belong these days, in the history books, not as a fully working truck at 44 tonne

what happens if you break down?

parts are becoming harder to find for them, body panels are becoming harder to find in the event of an accident.

for the money that you will spend on a 143, you can buy a truck that is just a few years old and will be more reliable

everything you have said is true rob… and yes you have told me quite a few times to say the least lol… i know parts are not easy to come by… i know that they are getting on abit… but a 143 with a modern engine is just the same as any other truck isn’t it?? it has the body of a 143 with the power of a newer lump… the interior will be re-vamped to my taste … leather button back etc… i have the garage in mind who will do the work for me already… if i break down then ill do what i would with any truck i would i purchase.call you rob to come fix it for me :smiley: :wink: :laughing:

Seem to remember some later 3 series having a euro 2 badge on the grill on the right hand side where the centurion year brass badges were on 1991/92 trucks :question: .

Would overall agree with shuttlespanker here though, the remaining 143s wouldnt really make an ideal working truck anylonger. Would be nice to have one but things have moved on.

yea they have moved on mate your right… BUT im not that into the newer trucks if im honest… 143’s volvo F12’s 16’s are where its at for me… i know they are old but modern trucks break and they just get repaired… if you put a modern engine/gearbox etc into one havent you still got the reliability of a modern truck but the looks of an old skool classic?

it is not always the engine or transmission that break :unamused:

Its quite a bit differant but i did an engine conversion on my corsa a few years ago and it was nothing but problems, a calibra engine belongs in a calibra and a corsa vice versa, anyway im convinced now that unless your changing like for like engine conversions are problems (altough i did see a fiat 126 with a R1 engine on youtube). Would the 16L v8 not require lots of electronics that the 14L would not have?. Also you cant stand up in a 3 series topline.

the 14 ltr that the 143 has with 470/500 has electrics that the 143 450 dosent…im not sure if the 16ltr would go in as easy as its a big big lump and the cab would need lifting… if u look at the back of a 124 for example and a 164 the 164’s cab is sat higher… the 14ltr from the 144 will go in… the place where ive enquired have done 113 transplants in the past and have said its a pig of a job but they can do it… the problem isnt putting the engine in… its the wiring loom… :cry: i love the look of the 3 series… i know they arnt as big as the 4 series topline but thats ok by me… i drive a 4series topline now… (no sarky comments please rob lol )

shuttlespanker:
it is not always the engine or transmission that break :unamused:

very true… havent got an answer for that rob lol

I think putting a V8 into a 113/112 is difficult because chassis cross members need moved?, but i wouldnt have thought that a V8 would be any taller than a straight six as the six is vertical where as the Vs banks go at an angle. Also think there will be more techno gear on the new motor than the old EDC 143 470/500, as even the 14L in the 4 series i think has more electronics than these. If you read some of the Ralph Davis threads they had one of the first 144 460s that was retired early from the international work because they couldnt trust the electronics.

i know the 16ltr is taller then the 12ltr in the 124… we have 2 164’s where i work and 6 124’s… the 164’s cabs are mounted higher then the 6pots due to the size of engine… next truckshow etc have a look you will see what i mean… the more moden the engine the more electronics there are on them… look at the brand new ones… just steering wheel attendants nowadays :cry: thats not ‘driving’ imo… i have the next 6months to figure it out… will be calling around tomorow trying to find out what different parts will cost etc… where i work they had 142’s 143’s 144’s and now 164’s and Rcabs… the 143’s covered well over 1 million MILES… so did the 144’s… not easy work either they were on round trips to italy… the 144 has proven to be a reliable motor i will be more then happy to have one in my truck…

the 14 litre 530 is not IIRC LEZ comliant

shuttlespanker:
but, if you buy a 143 rolling shell and put a different engine in, it would still possibly not work either, as i have told you many times before, don’t waste your money on a 143

although they are an iconic truck, that is where they belong these days, in the history books, not as a fully working truck at 44 tonne

what happens if you break down?

parts are becoming harder to find for them, body panels are becoming harder to find in the event of an accident.

for the money that you will spend on a 143, you can buy a truck that is just a few years old and will be more reliable

Spanky is right ! the 143 was a great truck but now belongs at Truck shows or in a museum :exclamation:

a modern truck will be cheaper to run , more reliable and will cause you less headaches !

Personally is you want a 143 then get one as a hobby and enjoy it, but for a working truck you’d be better off getting a more modern truck, if you get a less fashonable make it would probably cost less than a Scania 3 series as they are now looked on as classics and this is reflected in the prices.

shuttlespanker:
the 14 litre 530 is not IIRC LEZ comliant

No, but the 460 is :wink:

I’m sure my 96 143 was euro2 compliant, could be wrong though, the EDC engines in the 4 series were all euro2 compliant though and you cannot run at 44tonnes without euro2 at a minimum, the 16ltr engine was introduced to meet the euro3 requirements, so if indeed you’re going to do a transplant it would need to be a 16ltr, as has been said, the LEZ bollox will spread before long :unamused:

I would say a complete transplant from non electronic to an EDC engine would be easier than swapping an EDC 6 pot for a V8, no chopping into wiring looms, except for the dash, the rest of it would all be a matter of running wires and ECUs which would come with the donor engine, oh and a power supply, is that right?

im confused as to why the 460 144 is lez compliant but the 530 isn’t? i drive a 124 which is mapped to 500… its an xreg with rpc cert…this can go into london… surely the same age v8 can too? :confused: as for the engine swap… id hope that the wireing will come with the engine…