SCANIA 142's

Great thread this one: having been a fan of these since I was a kid: I’ve never been in one , sat in most of the trucks from this era though, just wondered what they were like inside the cab? were they easy to live with and were they the best at that time for a night out in? Got to say my fav was always the globetrotter but I’ve always liked the scanias too, thanks harry.

harryvr6:
Great thread this one: having been a fan of these since I was a kid: I’ve never been in one , sat in most of the trucks from this era though, just wondered what they were like inside the cab? were they easy to live with and were they the best at that time for a night out in? Got to say my fav was always the globetrotter but I’ve always liked the scanias too, thanks harry.

not quite a 142 but the closest i got

cant comment on the 142 but i suppose it was the same as the 112 Rcab inside , all straight lines & right angles pre 3 series curved dash ,unfortunately mine was well used & the cutters torch was calling by the time i got to drive this particular unit ! shame really all it needede was a rewire & new engine but was deemed too expensive & a new 93 p cab 290 was on order anyway :frowning: all i remember was loads of room , non working night heater , no limiter , unsprung drivers seat& quite a hard ride due to the all steel suspension, never been a great scania fan but it was my first so i do make the exception up upto the first type 4 series which to my mind was quite cramped compared to the out going 3 series .

really liking the pics chaps , not a superduper sprayjob or vinyl wrap in sight , good old coachlining & traditional signwriting

Carron Transport had two, one that was a flier and one that was a bit of a plug, as it was before speed limiters and at the time it was flat to the mat up and down the m6 they were drinking fuel (doing about 4mpg the old man said once) so following these two it was back to 112s then 113s. Inside if i remember right they were either beige or a blue/grey kind of velour seats and the engine tunnel was carpeted rather that plastic like the 3series but still had the box in the middle.

Robin Borthwick and Dougie Towler both had 142s with a coach diff fitted that could do over 100mph :open_mouth:

It wasn’t all fun and games.
Some of us were mentioned in despatches…by Sally traffic.

One of the worst points for the 6x2 tag axle was the atrocious ride.
The two rear axles being linked gave a ride that you never forgot.
The “Abortion Way” east of Antwerp was only used once,NEVER a second time.

Here’s some from south wales Silurian Scania.

Their Demo circa 1987

Old & new!!

these ones are till working today

Had this beaut on m/e for 2 years.

mechanic77:
This 142 was ran by my dad for 13 years before being kept for shows by me.

Hi, heres one of your 142 at truckfest, I was there with my 143.

i took these at Truckfest, looking at the banner on the side of the 2nd pic with caractures of Little and Large, the year was 1988, not sure if all pics were that year thou.
Swiss Flyer

Get Cracken’ with Sandy McCracken

112’s (change the badges and you wouldnt know, not till you started 'em up anyway!)

(no idea who the bird and bloke are, nowt to do with me)

Brian Nunn from Bury St Edmunds