Scania 114l 340 weight

Hi all, I have started driving a rigid Scania 114l 340 three axle and the plate/ticket in the cab says its 26ton with (if I remember correct) 1 axles 7000ish 2nd and 3rd axle 9000ish kg what weight can this carry, just seems a lot to me :confused:
Its a 53 plate but has been refurbished a year ago and only done 23k since.

Depends on the bodywork etc.

Those weights are gross not payload. Total Gross vehicle weight is truck plus load 26000kg max.

A flat body would probably tare about 10t giving you a potential 16t payload. A hiab if fitted will knock this down considerably depending on the size fitted.

My advice is to run it across a weighbridge when full of fuel and usual equipment carried (straps and chains etc) but otherwise not carrying a load. Only then can you calculate the payload by knocking it off the 26t maximum permissable weight. I just ask at a waste transfer station if I can get a tare weight on the bridge for own records so no ticket needed.

Thanks 8wheels, I thought as much, no hiab fitted as its for transporting various fork lift trucks, I just felt I should know as much about the wagon as possible.
On the weighbridge note I sussed out (a tad late) that the Great Bear depot in Skelmersdale weighs you as you leave the site, I didnt know as my first day and was not parked fully on the scale but its close and I will definitely be delivering trucks or batteries to our engineers there soon so I will line up better next time.
Thanks again fir the info :sunglasses:

For the record this is the wagon :wink:

Cheers :smiley:

I used to run a P cabbed 6x2 124 420 with an Andover trailers beavertail body, it was a single tyred tag rather than a twin or double drive and I carry a fair amount of chains and equipment. It weighed 11500kg giving me a payload of 14200kg (25700 GVW), I used to work to 14000kg to give myself some margin.

I’d imagine yours would be similar, the body would lighter as Andover make theirs from bits of Aircraft Carriers :wink: but you have an extra set of wheels / tyres slightly larger cab to balance against it. I also had twin tanks as it was a stretch unit.

Just for a guess I’m going to say that yours is 11.2t, See if I’m close

Thanks again, I will dig deeper with the boss :wink:
Its mine to make it pay (I will be back in the depot otherwise) then if all things pan out in a year things may get better :wink:
I have to admit I like the drive, 4 over 4 took a bit of getting used to :laughing: last time I even drove a wagon was 27 years ago :open_mouth:
But for the meantime she is mine and will be looked after, we are fortunate to have a good boss who really takes a pride and looks after his wagons without expense and cuts the drivers slack when things are difficult.
Good things come to those who wait… :laughing:

8wheels:
I used to run a P cabbed 6x2 124 420 with an Andover trailers beavertail body, it was a single tyred tag rather than a twin or double drive and I carry a fair amount of chains and equipment. It weighed 11500kg giving me a payload of 14200kg (25700 GVW), I used to work to 14000kg to give myself some margin.

I’d imagine yours would be similar, the body would lighter as Andover make theirs from bits of Aircraft Carriers :wink: but you have an extra set of wheels / tyres slightly larger cab to balance against it. I also had twin tanks as it was a stretch unit.

Just for a guess I’m going to say that yours is 11.2t, See if I’m close

I finally found myself at a weigh bridge last week while unloaded and she kicked in at 12.50t (full tank) I always ran at the 13t max as you say it gives some slack as it accounts for heavier forks or bigger masts from standard and mud and the like.

Oh by the way 8wheels that is a brilliant write up on load security on your site and thank you as I gained some great advice there.
Our place insist on straps rather than chains but they are 5t rated and anything over 4t I bang an extra or more for the good measure. Obviously a 13t jobby would be tied down a bit better than Gulliver was :wink:
Cheers :sunglasses: