Scania 114C 340 lacking power

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem with their Scania 114C 340? My lorry is a 2003 8x4 and Ive noticed her getting slower climbing a hill section that I drive laden every day, normally she would have been ok to go up in 6th and sit about 25-28mph but now she needs 5th gear at about 22mph. Ive changed oil, air and fuel filters in the last couple of weeks but nothing has made any difference, anyone got any suggestions? I did notice her putting out a small amount of smoke when idling, but not too much.

Perhaps your fuel pump could do with a tweek, or I could be talking bolocks :laughing:

steve_24v:
Perhaps your fuel pump could do with a tweek, or I could be talking bolocks :laughing:

I had wondered if the injectors needed set or something, but not sure

we have just got a Daf 530 . it has been sat doing nothing for about 2 years. it had very little power, even though it had been fully serviced.
so the only option was to knock off the limiter, and go like [zb] for a few miles, the limiter is now working, and the truck is fine. it just needed a good booting.

a scania 340 was lacking power when it was brand new, dunno how you expect it to get better at that age :cry:

green456:
a scania 340 was lacking power when it was brand new, dunno how you expect it to get better at that age :cry:

Youre not wrong! I need any help I can to get up that hill

I’d take the fuse out and rattle it for a few miles, clear the crap out. As you say - You’ve changed things and it might just need a bit of stress to get it right out the system.

Check the intercooler pipes

might not be a bad idea to have the injectors & pump serviced

Probably would benefit from a top end set up, and do a pressure test on the fuel system, ive had a lift pump on every scania ive owned!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Air filter?

Clean the turbo/new turbo.

N.B. I am not a mechanic but my Scania was pulling like an asthmatic pensioner (after i’d blown the engine and had it rebuilt, my fault btw, bit lax on those oil changes), the turbo gauge would not go all the way to the top on the trip computer and the dealer kept saying there was nowt wrong with it.

Got so fed up I just bought a new turbo for it on the off chance & then it was back to pulling like a train. :unamused:

Turbo boost sensor :wink:

Or maybe a split pipe going to the turbo,if you can hear a whistling noise,more than normal it may be this.
I don’t know how the throttle is controlled on yours but on an older one I used to drive,the cable was frayed…over the pulley on top of the pedal and allowed stretch,hence not giving full power.
Or it maybe something as silly as the rubber gasket on top of the filter twisted as you’ve put it on allowing air into the system…unlikely as you have just changed it though.
Had an instance once of a blocked breather on the fuel tank…as the level went down it created a vacuum and was struggling to get the fuel through.

Jeez,sorry to go on and maybe none of these but these are just a few of my past experiences…always find it best to try the cheapest first eh.

NB12:
Air filter?

That would be the first thing I would check, take the air filter out and see if there is a marked difference in performance. You will in any case see if it’s full of crap, this was a common problem when I was on bulk grain.

Tiger.

Fastrantiger:

NB12:
Air filter?

That would be the first thing I would check, take the air filter out and see if there is a marked difference in performance. You will in any case see if it’s full of crap, this was a common problem when I was on bulk grain.

Tiger.

Yeah the air filter was one of the first things I changed :slight_smile: I normally change these every few months because I deliver animal feeds and the mill is always dusty

ShropsBri:
Or maybe a split pipe going to the turbo,if you can hear a whistling noise,more than normal it may be this.
I don’t know how the throttle is controlled on yours but on an older one I used to drive,the cable was frayed…over the pulley on top of the pedal and allowed stretch,hence not giving full power.
Or it maybe something as silly as the rubber gasket on top of the filter twisted as you’ve put it on allowing air into the system…unlikely as you have just changed it though.
Had an instance once of a blocked breather on the fuel tank…as the level went down it created a vacuum and was struggling to get the fuel through.

Jeez,sorry to go on and maybe none of these but these are just a few of my past experiences…always find it best to try the cheapest first eh.

Funny you mention the fuel tank breather, I did notice the other day as I was removing the fuel cap that it sucked in some air. Obviously a vacuum had built up in there so the breather must be blocked. Although I also tried driving her laden up the hill with the fuel cap off, but it didnt seem to make any difference…perhaps the extra vacuum is killing/has killed the lift pump?