Scammell,Taskers,Hands, Automatic couplings

A bit of advice here please…Does anyone know if all ‘Automatic Couplings’ such as Scammell, Taskers or Hands are interchangeable - ie A Scammell Tractor with a Taskers Trailer or A Hands Tractor with a Scammell trailer or any other combination!

All these couplings look the same but do they all fit together or does it have to be a 'Scammell with a Scammell or Taskers with a taskers for instance■■?

There must be someone on here who’s had experience of these types in years gone by :neutral_face:

Cheers
Trev :confused:

lemonmouth:
A bit of advice here please…Does anyone know if all ‘Automatic Couplings’ such as Scammell, Taskers or Hands are interchangeable - ie A Scammell Tractor with a Taskers Trailer or A Hands Tractor with a Scammell trailer or any other combination!

All these couplings look the same but do they all fit together or does it have to be a 'Scammell with a Scammell or Taskers with a taskers for instance■■?

There must be someone on here who’s had experience of these types in years gone by :neutral_face:

Cheers

The firm I drove for 50/60s Had both Scammell & Tasker & I could pick up anyone of them, Hope this helps, Regards Larry.

Thanks Larry

lemonmouth:

Cheers

Trev,I used to take these type of trailers for Lister from Stamford to anywhere in the UK,I think that the trailers were from all the various manufacturers,so I would agree,they would intermix across them all.

David

The trailer companies you mentioned developed their own auto coupling but they were all compatible with the Scammell type, they had the patent in 1933 with the intro of the Mechanical Horse but the Wolverton coupling was the first developed in 1930 for the Karrier Cob three wheeler, although the Scammell coupling was a better design and they supplied this to many other trailer makers. Later of course they partnered Bedford with the O Series outfit. Ouseburn Transport who I worked for had many Scammell coupling units along with heavier Fifth wheel types, I sorted the fuel system on a lovely Seddon tractor with the old coachbuilt cab and five pot Gardner only for it to stand in the corner until taken for scrap. It was in great condition and would have made a fine restoration job today and no doubt would have been rare. I wonder how many nice motors met an untimely death when they couldn’t meet the required standards. Cheers Franky.

Thanks David and Franky, appreciated, what I’m trying to do is…find out if a Commer with a ‘Hands’ coupling will couple up to a Taskers trailer, there is some obvious differences in the actual locking systems, but without having the trailer - Yet , I can’t be sure whether it will fit, but things are looking a bit clearer now.

Cheers
Trev.

What type of Commer do you have ?

Lawrence Dunbar:

Like this Larry!

lemonmouth:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Like this Larry!

hello trev,is it a two stroke?
i like the look of the O type in the background,is that yours aswell?

Yes it is a TS3 Andrew, and No, the O type is not mine :cry:

more pics please trev!!