Scammell Crusaders

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Yes it’s based in the offshore base at Nigg on the Cromarty Firth. I took a picture of it about 3 years ago myself.

Yet another Crusader on M/E work (posted on another thread by Buzzer today). I can account for about 60 Crusaders that did Middle-East one way or another. These Crusaders must have proved pretty robust on that work. They were certainly not under-engineered! It makes me wonder if any of the many British armed services Crusaders saw service with Operation Desert Storm in Iraq. Does anyone have info or pics? It might help us to understand how well they performed at the tough end of M/E work.

Drove 6x4 crusaders in the Sudan in 1980 for transsudan a company set up by redcliffe roadways of Sutton in ashfield was out there for 3 months by ,Eck it was warm

Suedehead:

ERF-NGC-European:

Is that one of Sissons ?

Probably, but not sure. But this one is:

Some more pics of the mystery BRS Crusaders on Middle East work. Some pics & references are on here and on the Ancient Brits Head East thread.

The thick plottens…

Think the brs crusader pics come from an article in classic and vintage commercials magazine, they (and other makes) were used before they introduced the Leyland marathon specials to the middle east run.

Unfortunately i can’t remember which issue it appears in.

Steve

vwvanman0:
Think the brs crusader pics come from an article in classic and vintage commercials magazine, they (and other makes) were used before they introduced the Leyland marathon specials to the middle east run.

Unfortunately i can’t remember which issue it appears in.

Steve

Does that mean BRS were doing Middle-East before the Iran Transcons then? That would explain how an assortment of domestic Crusaders ended up going there!

Does that mean BRS were doing Middle-East before the Iran Transcons then? That would explain how an assortment of domestic Crusaders ended up going there!
[/quote]
If i remember correctly yes they were going out before they got the Leyland marathon specials, found these pics which are 1974/5 badhdad for the scania day cab and1974 for the crusader side photo

(photos from D stroud ltd on Facebook, there are some great pictures and some brs middle east literature pics on his Facebook)

Steve

vwvanman0:

If i remember correctly yes they were going out before they got the Leyland marathon specials, found these pics which are 1974/5 badhdad for the scania day cab and1974 for the crusader side photo

(photos from D stroud ltd on Facebook, there are some great pictures and some brs middle east literature pics on his Facebook)

Steve
[/quote]
That explains quite a bit :sunglasses: . Cheers!

I am pretty sure that there was an article in commercial motor 74/75 ish ? where a journalist accompanied a couple of Eastern BRS day cab Crusaders to the ME. The journo ended up jumping ship and continued the journey in a MAN with a driver from another company
The BRS drivers were supplied with Jeltec suits though :sunglasses:

Suedehead:
I am pretty sure that there was an article in commercial motor 74/75 ish ? where a journalist accompanied a couple of Eastern BRS day cab Crusaders to the ME. The journo ended up jumping ship and continued the journey in a MAN with a driver from another company
The BRS drivers were supplied with Jeltec suits though :sunglasses:

Yes, that’ll be this one (see below). The journalist appears to blame the Crusader rather than blaming it for being an unsuitable day-cab! His whole gripe is really about day-cabbed wagons on the M/E run. Dunno why he chose to go! :unamused:

Not a Crusader, I know, but it’s still a BRS Overland M/E trailer. Presumably Bedford did the photoshoot to ■■■ up their TM brochure! :laughing: Though to fair, it’s possible that BRS had a TM as a demo that day :smiley:

s-l500 (1).jpg

Les Sylphides:

Hiya,
One from my old depot CT was Blackburn.

harry_gill:

Les Sylphides:

Hiya,

Would that Crusader have had the Rolls 220 or the 265 Harry?

Les Sylphides:

harry_gill:

Les Sylphides:

Hiya,

Hiya,
Sorry Les can’ help it’s the late 50s to early 60s when
I worked at Blackburn depot all AEC’s and Leylands
and Bristols towards the end of my time there, I was
the last man in (twice) so first man out (twice).

harry_gill:

Les Sylphides:

harry_gill:

Les Sylphides:

Hiya,

Hiya,
Sorry Les can’ help it’s the late 50s to early 60s when
I worked at Blackburn depot all AEC’s and Leylands
and Bristols towards the end of time there, I was the
last man in and laid off twice.

Proper red-and-rust flying ferret stuff then! :sunglasses:

OIP (19).jpg