Scammell Crusaders

Have Scammell will travel.

Whoopsie!!, had a bit of a wrestle with a German.

gb1:
For Sammyopisite…

Apologies for the dodgy alignment.

Hi gb1 thank you for the post above thats similar to how it was delivered and it had to go back to Scammell for modifications and on my " Flickr " page the engineer who carried out the work as replied to a post of mine I have posted the link below.

flickr.com/activity/

Cheers Johnnie :laughing: :laughing:

Must have been something substantial to cause this much damage!

stevecook:
Must have been something substantial to cause this much damage!

Sorry, taken from FB…

“Hit by an RCT 10 Tonner who was in silent 6th, coming down the Horn on Route 1, just outside Detmold. The name of the driver evades me, it was Taff some thing. The 10 Tonner is over the back in the tree’s. Mid 1982.”

MOC:

truckerash:
And after spotting that old beauty (above), I thought I’d dig out a few of my old Crusader pics from the 80’s :smiley:

Couple of heavy hitters to begin;
UYL 814S

Looks like this is the sister truck
UYL 813S

my late father ran uyl814s on low lowder work for tarmac at corby northants ,i can still hear that detroit diesel v8 now ,proper motor HAPPY DAYS

Only three things wrong with the crusader in my oppinion, the lack of a tilt cab, a ■■■■■■■ super E 14 and just a little bit more on the cab comfort side, otherwise great.

Crusaderwhv52001.jpg

Is this a Crusader?

Front panel certainly looks Crusader like Steve :confused: but the rest of the cab looks American, even though it’s right hand drive :neutral_face:
Trev.

Yeah front panel and wings are Crusader and the cab is a F88/89 that’s probably why it’s a right-hand drive,looks odd either way.Paul

It’s an Aussie,

I have seen these pics on an Aussie forum,I’m pretty sure it’s a Crusader with an Aussie built AEC cab.
I think the AEC cabs were made by a company called Hasting Deering,who were the AEC agents. It was re-cabbed after an accdent.

Another cracking picture of Terry Ainger’s Crusader:

converted military

stevecook:
One from Cyprus:

the picture of UYL813S is one of mine posted in a set on Flickr

tarmactrader:

MOC:

truckerash:
And after spotting that old beauty (above), I thought I’d dig out a few of my old Crusader pics from the 80’s :smiley:

Couple of heavy hitters to begin;
UYL 814S

Looks like this is the sister truck
UYL 813S

my late father ran uyl814s on low lowder work for tarmac at corby northants ,i can still hear that detroit diesel v8 now ,proper motor HAPPY DAYS

not only is it Pickfords again its one of my photos Again

defo not a Two Stroke in this its a Roller ex military EKA, Northants reg by Dave Crouch, now run by WFL of Bar Hill

truckerash:
While waiting to cross a roundabout yesterday, I heard a very distinctive engine noise. Looked around and low and behold there she was! A lovely example still being used. Anyone know anything about this one? Sounded very much like a Detroit to me.

BRP 301S. Northants reg, but I think the company is from Royston Cambs area.

last registered Scammell Amazon (100 ton rated Crusader) now fully restored, I own sister vehicle which was converted to recovery from new so ran on Trade Plates, when legislation required it to be registered it aquired a Q plate flickr.com/photos/33865953@N05/3660072605/

haddy:
This one normally pulled a low-loader. It was powered by a 290 ( I think ) Roller and was badged as an Amazon. I seem to remember reading that Amazon chassis were something to do with Thorneycroft. Cheers Haddy.

stevecook:
A nice 4x2:

Photo removed as requested by David Stretton

Ownership of this picture has been claimed by CMG 116, so credit and thanks to him please.
I can’t remember where I found it, but as it was on the open Internet somewhere I (wrongly) assumed it was OK to copy - any pictures of my Scammells are posted with the understanding that anyone may enjoy them and (if they wish) copy and repost them elsewhere.

stevecook:
How about some pictures of Scammell Crusaders, here’s one to start:

The last time I saw JVM896V it was owned by Pete Elwood from Hyde in cheshire. It was painted red, and was on contract to RSM in Trafford park,on the containers.

Came across this on Friday…

Steve