Scammell Crusaders

Suedehead:

harry_gill:

sammyopisite:

harry_gill:

Suedehead:

stevecook:
Scammell at work! Pinched from fb.

What would be the GTW there then? - cracking photo- looks like the NCR?

hiya,
The whole caboose about 95 tons about 75 for the transporter rig with tank about 20 tons for the tug but I’m a bit rusty now.
thanks harry long retired

Harry you won’t be far out it depends what’s on the antar but I would say 95 is minimum and pulled by something rated at 65 GTW so the crusaders were just the same as the old scammells 50% extra no problem
cheers Johnnie

hiya,
Now there’s a surprise Johnnie someone agreeing with me, mind you I did have to give the old grey matter a good raking over before I could work it out took me all of two minute, you never loose it eh’.
thanks harry long retired.

Cheers for the replies.What would the BHP be on that motor 300?

Rolls Royce eagle 305 bhp fuller roadranger 15 speed 10 speed plus 5 gears deep reduction

Another Scammell grafting:

stevecook:

Is it though ?
Looks like a posed photo imo.

Suedehead:

stevecook:

Is it though ?
Looks like a posed photo imo.

The crane’s gearbox had failed, apparently it weighs in at 72 tons

adr:
The Crusader had a great look, I always thought it would have looked equally at home on Route 66 as it did on the A66!

Good point,I agree. :wink:

mrken:
Another one of good ol’ Dennis Anderson’s crusader. RIP.

It was an ex-middle east vehicle of Reece Brothers, London E14. (Think it was called Olui Line or something similar)

Why the AEC bus badge on the front?

mrken:
Another one of good ol’ Dennis Anderson’s crusader. RIP.

It was an ex-middle east vehicle of Reece Brothers, London E14. (Think it was called Olui Line or something similar)

Hi Mrken, This Crusader would have been Yellow in colour with two large intertwining O’s on the doors as they traded as Ollins Overland and ran mostly to Teheran. I think that they had Four of them in the seventies. One of their drivers was a big blonde londoner called Mick, One had short crew cut hair and was called Dave and another was a coloured gentleman whose mother was German and his name was Ron Roberts. He also had a Hotel in Illfracombe. Howzat for memory recall after thirty five years. Regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.

Heres a real Crusader, ? not the wagon the driver, Regards Larry

Jamie what a memory yes your right I can remember going to get some pump coupling shims for a spanish Dodge and the Dodge agent was Doe engineering and thats where those Scammells parked
Also my uncle had those AEC winged badges on all his units and Dennis used to drive for him so I suppose he just carried it on I had it on a couple of mine to
Always remember a pub by that Scammel place at Millwall and Chartermoors tankers was in the next yard

This was my first motor when i passed my class 1 at 21 years old
this shot was from my second week driving this fine truck
she had a V8 DD71series 290 bhp 15 speed fuller plus deep reducton hub
she was plated at 65 tones but would pull any weight as long as you could get it on the King Low Loader trailer
This load is a part of one of the blast furness at BSC Scunthorpe and was over 60 tones
sadly this is the only photo of the truck
years later she ended up in Phil Brake truck scrap yard Scunthorpe,
Happy days
andy

scammell-low-loader-low-rez.jpg

here’s one i had the pleasure of photographing at Hemswell , where the lorry was based.

A nice seasonal pic for your Christmas cards:

when i was in my teens i used to drive the diggers for G P plant which was goodman price and London Demolition used to move the machines with a Scammel Cusader unit i used to sometimes go to give the driver mickey a hand he taught me a lot about loading and unloading machines low and behold i later on in life got my class 1 and did a lot of low loader work but i wondered if anyone might have any pictures of the London Demo crusader they came from Iselworth nr Hounslow

Some great Crusaders on here, here are a few of mine:

Driffield show a few years back:

Bloxham show, back in 1997:

Driffield last year:

Pickering 2009:

Spotted at services on M6 back in 1999:

And finally this one at Swanwick back in 1995:

I am currently bodging my way through a scratchbuild of the Crusader under tarp in the picture above.

cheers

you want to move it , stick a scammell up front
samson was the last of the best

For Sammyopisite…

Apologies for the dodgy alignment.

One from the BRS fleet.

Hi scarren
I presume you saw these pics earlier in the thread:

stevecook:

MOC:
More images from The Scammel Crusader Appreciation society Face Book

Is this the end?

Hi Steve, thanks mate, I did indeed! In fact I was overjoyed to see them because I am making a model of this very lorry at the moment mate, the additional details are very helpful, even if it is looking worse for wear and weather.

cheers

This Scammell visited Sweden in 2009 together with Payne´s F88

Stellan