Say goodbye to your jobs-self driving trucks in UK 2023

Aren’t flying vechicles supposed to be the next thing, they are supposed to be already here, self driving vehicles will come after that, although won’tflying vehicles be self drive?

ETS:

Juddian:

Read the bolded part in op. Apparently the UK’s idea for a ‘‘leading breakthrough legislation’’ regarding self driving is to simply absolve everyone involved from any responsibility about anything

Roymondo:

Bold quote didn’t say anything about lorry drivers, regarded in the eyes of the law as professional drivers, being exempt from responsibility.
Our culture now revolves around blame (except for govts and experts who get a pass and ££££ rewards) and where there’s blame there’s a claim, the recent changes to the highway code put the blame for everything on the driver of the biggest heaviest vehicle involved in an incident, somehow i can’t see HGV drivers getting a free pass and nor would i want to see that happen.

I still think Tesla that is the only company going about FSD the right way. Our entire infrastructure system is vision based so it makes complete sense to design a vision based FSD system to work with existing infrastructure. This requires advanced AI which can understand what it sees and react accordingly. Tesla solving this vision-based AI problem is going to be a game changer, not only for transport but for the planet. In simple terms the AI has many uses beyond cars/trucks. I would be more worried about the Tesla bot taking our jobs than a self-driving truck alone.

Snapp’s obviously doesn’t know what he is talking about (i didn’t read the express article as our media is ■■■■ and worthless). If I had to guess, I would say 3-5 years minimum for FSD trucks. The AI already exists for dual carriages ways / motorways and city streets is getting better. Tesla is still building it’s “dodjo” (supercomputer used to train the AI) it has millions of miles of driving data (from its fleet of Tesla’s) to train with once the dojo is complete. I guess there is a chance once the thing is turned on it can digest the data in nanoseconds, create FSD AI and solve the meaning of life :laughing: Although Musk is one of the few people I would trust not to unleash such a super intelligent AI on the planet.

Currently there is only a handful of Tesla semi’s driving around gathering data (the size of the vehicle and position of the camera’s is important for training the AI as I understand it) Tesla semi production is due to start next year in a limited capacity. The more Tesla semi’s driving around collecting data the faster the transition will take place. I will admit I am a tesla stockholder and a bit of a fanboy, but I really don’t see any other companies competing with Tesla on FSD, data is key, and they are gathering millions of miles of it passively (pure genius).

Hopefully I will be retired before optimus takes our jobs I just wish someone would hurry the ■■■■ up with HGV parking assist :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Juddian:
There’ll always be a bod sat in the wagon whilst its operating on public roads, someone will have to be held to account when error 404 crops up and carnage results.

Our hero behind the wheel can occupy him/her/itself whilst the electronics take care of driving, when error 404 occurs our designated responsible person who hasn’t the foggiest bloody idea what’s happening will make the right decision in an instant and save the day.
Anyone see what’s wrong with this picture.

Where’s our mate that went off to New Zealand or somewhere, apparently very involved with automation and testing with fully automated completely driverless trucks months away about 4 years ago :unamused:

How alert and ready to take control will the driver be if he’s been sat there for the past 5 hours doing nothing?

Few other issues with self driving trucks…

If the driver still needs to be in the cab to take over and perform tasks like opening curtains ,backing on to bays etc what are they aiming to achieve by spending millions on new technology which may or may not work as planned:

Wages - already regarded as poor in many driving jobs, can’t reduce them anymore as they already can’t recruit drivers

Monotony - already having a crisis due to crap jobs not being filled due to nobody wanting to do them, considering most people that take an interest in driving hgvs for a living is the fact that it gets you out and seeing different parts of the country. Don’t think I’ve had many days that have dragged while driving hgv. If you’re sat there doing nothing it will drag like hell.

Driving Hours - already can legally do 3 15hr shifts per week followed by 3 13’s (assuming waiting for the truck to ask you to take over will be poa), are they now going to suggest you can do 20hr shifts if the truck is doing most of the driving?

I would love to have a q and a with some of the people proposing these ideas. Just like I’d like one with the ones that think just because public transport is convinient for their work they think it should be used by everyone else too [emoji19]

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

whisperingsmith:
The UK Government has gone into automatic and done away with its drivers for the last few months.

Has anything gone wrong - or at least more wrong than before ■■ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The UK Gov has gone into automatic mode as Johnson has dozed on holiday…again…

Not sure if no Gov is better or worse in his case?

ETS:
Driving law changes: Self-driving cars could be on UK roads next year, Grant Shapps says | Express.co.uk

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the first self-driving cars, coaches and lorries could be deployed on UK motorways in 2023, and praised the “fantastic technology”.

It is expected that this would be followed by the rollout of “fully fledged” self-driving vehicles on motorways and some A-roads in 2025.

Earlier this year, the Law Commission published a report which argued that the person in the driving seat of a self-driving car should not be held accountable if it crashes.
It recommended reforms that would see driverless car users exempt from prosecution if anything goes wrong with the automation.

The part I highlighted reads like something straight out of the Onion news

Good thing about this trade is it never goin anywhere Truckers will always be needed the future is very exciting with all the autonomy an driver aids. I embrace it. As for the whole self driving trucks, Well if u believe that nonsense u are to be pitied its nust propaganda an used as a marketing tool for big investor and or company’s to invest there millions into

“Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a Human Mind”
Date: B.G. 25
Source: Orange Catholic Bible

(Test Drive)

AI is far less likely to end the lives of yourselves and others IF you don’t trust it from the start, and never do.

Sometimes a bit of paranoia - is literally good for your health! :open_mouth:

HGVs already pretty much drive themselves on motorways now with tech like adaptive cruise control.

Until they are driving themselves in urban environments and backing themselves into loading bays at old mills, I wouldn’t worry. That’s where we earn our money at the end of the day. We haven’t even got robot shunters yet in yards at RDCs.

rob22888:
HGVs already pretty much drive themselves on motorways now with tech like adaptive cruise control.

Until they are driving themselves in urban environments and backing themselves into loading bays at old mills, I wouldn’t worry. That’s where we earn our money at the end of the day. We haven’t even got robot shunters yet in yards at RDCs.

They have the technology for robots to reverse trailers onto a bay, that is never going to be a problem and they will do it a lot better than a lot of drivers these days.
Urban areas, I agree, different prospect.

Whose going to lean out of the window and push the security guard intercom button at the barrier
Whose going to put ratchet straps back on the load after a delivery

There’s a whole host of small jobs that need doing that have little to do with actually driving the truck

Grant Shapps is a tool

jakethesnake:

rob22888:

They have the technology for robots to reverse trailers onto a bay, that is never going to be a problem and they will do it a lot better than a lot of drivers these days.
Urban areas, I agree, different prospect.

Point is, no sign of it yet even at Amazon RDCs who you would expect to be the leaders of this sort of stuff, so we are still a way off this sort of stuff becoming widespread.

I have always said that the thing we need to watch for as drivers isn’t our jobs being taken away by technology, it’s them being dumbed down by technology. You can bet your life that boffins somewhere are developing park assist for HGVs, the trailer tracking capabilities of the mirrorless systems are the first toe in the water towards that. As soon as reversing & manoeuvring starts getting automated its the beginning of the end for the skilled driver and an erosion of our ability to command decent wages. Opening/closing curtains, strapping loads, unloading cages into stops etc. is basic unskilled labour, nothing more nothing less.

rob22888:
, the trailer tracking capabilities of the mirrorless systems

I don’t think that exists yet. I only drive a mirror cam Actros but I’ve never seen it tracking the trailer. All there is is one button that zooms in or out of a wide angle view. And yes I have set up the blue line for the trailer length.

stu675:

rob22888:

I don’t think that exists yet. I only drive a mirror cam Actros but I’ve never seen it tracking the trailer. All there is is one button that zooms in or out of a wide angle view. And yes I have set up the blue line for the trailer length.

I have driven a merc with mirrors that track the end of the trailer. As you reverse the mirror moves as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=8IxOb9LPPxk

I think it would be a great opportunity to become owner operator when AI comes into force. Profitability will become a lot better not having to pay a driver.

Haulage is so far behind the times however that I cannot see it happening any time soon.

Surely automating RDC’s is far more important. We live in the 21st century where we still need to wait for a pen to sign a piece of paper before we can leave. Also how many times have we all been stuck in a RDC for hours on end due to incompetence.

msgyorkie:

stu675:

rob22888:

I have driven a merc with mirrors that track the end of the trailer. As you reverse the mirror moves as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=8IxOb9LPPxk

I didn’t have It switched on. I don’t like it switched on for reversing because it zooms out too much, I didn’t realise that also stopped it tracking when going forwards.

The fact is it is going to happen.

Obviously not be 2023 that is crazy. But by say 2033 I can see it mainly being completely automated on motorways. (Still requiring driver).
By 2043 I can see many hub runs, night trunks and other stuff completely automated without any real need for a driver.

And maybe by 2050 a lot of supermarket deliveries fully automated. Where if needed a trained employee in the supermarket can park it in the correct position or it can be done remotely.

Now, a lot of people are going to say this is nonsense. But I imagine the miners were not expecting what happened to them to actually happen until it happened. Best to be prepared if you are OF AN AGE where it might impact you. I.e. Under 45.

It’s also important to remember the goal of self driving trucks is not to be perfect and for accidents never to happen. All that is required is that less accidents happen with self driving trucks compared to manned trucks. (So the bar is not that high lol).

Either way, the amount of funding both public/private that is being poured into this type of technology with the sole goal of making our job obsolete should be somewhat worrying.

adam277:
The fact is it is going to happen.

Obviously not be 2023 that is crazy. But by say 2033 I can see it mainly being completely automated on motorways. (Still requiring driver).
By 2043 I can see many hub runs, night trunks and other stuff completely automated without any real need for a driver.

And maybe by 2050 a lot of supermarket deliveries fully automated. Where if needed a trained employee in the supermarket can park it in the correct position or it can be done remotely.

Now, a lot of people are going to say this is nonsense. But I imagine the miners were not expecting what happened to them to actually happen until it happened. Best to be prepared if you are OF AN AGE where it might impact you. I.e. Under 45.

It’s also important to remember the goal of self driving trucks is not to be perfect and for accidents never to happen. All that is required is that less accidents happen with self driving trucks compared to manned trucks. (So the bar is not that high lol).

Either way, the amount of funding both public/private that is being poured into this type of technology with the sole goal of making our job obsolete should be somewhat worrying.

2% of the population drive for a living so is going to need some sort of government intervention to retrain people. You are talking 1 million out of a job.

That would be just the tip of the iceberg however as once the AI becomes enough to self drive trucks. Then it opens up a whole can of worms because then you can replace the train driver, the pilot, the sailor, the dock worker, the forklift driver. The list is endless.

Yep it’s a real issue.
I think a lot of people in the tech industry are pushing for a universal basic income as they see that their tech can make alot of jobs obsolete

AdamST205:
That would be just the tip of the iceberg however as once the AI becomes enough to self drive trucks. Then it opens up a whole can of worms because then you can replace the train driver, the pilot, the sailor, the dock worker, the forklift driver. The list is endless.

I don’t think AI is the problem, it’s the myriad of sensors and cameras it’s going to require all around the veihcle and still they will be limited by static position/lack of foresight and planning ahead/distance/angles/weathe rconditions/blind spots (vehicles unexpectedly jumping out of side roads, anyone?)

ETS:
]

I don’t think AI is the problem, it’s the myriad of sensors and cameras it’s going to require all around the veihcle and still they will be limited by static position/lack of foresight and planning ahead/distance/angles/weathe rconditions/blind spots (vehicles unexpectedly jumping out of side roads, anyone?)

There’s nothing a driver can see that can’t be seen by a camera, in fact it’s a lot better to put cameras all over the truck than have a driver in just one position. There’s no weather condition that a driver can see through better than a camera. There’s no side road emerging vehicle that can be seen by a driver that can’t be better seen by a camera.