Saw a accident in real time today

Was coming back down the M1 S/B between Junc 27-26 through the road works this morning about 5:30am was in the inside lane following an artic up ahead was a people carrier towing a rather large trailer with what looked like some sort of pipework on the trailer started to move from side to side and bouncing about before jacknifing and blocking all 3 lanes luckily traffic was light and because of the 50mph limit everything behind managed to stop in time I did take a pic to post on here but somehow pressed the wrong button doh so no picture,I thought we were going to be there for a while but after about 5 mins the driver reversed his vehicle back from the 3rd lane to lane 1 so we all started to filter through could have been a lot worse if this had happened on a part of the motorway with a national speed limit,surprising how quickly it happened as well,certainly made me more alert after that.

He should have dropped it a cog or 2 and put his foot down when the tail started wagging the dog, but it does take some bottle to do it!

Driveroneuk:
He should have dropped it a cog or 2 and put his foot down when the tail started wagging the dog, but it does take some bottle to do it!

Just like the guy that was pulling a trailer with cattle in it with his 4x4 did. Didn’t someone die as a result of the crash?

Driveroneuk:

Thats the LAST thhing you should do with a snake, its written that you remove feet from pedals and slow down naturally…

Snaking caused by sudden jerks of the wheel and/or badly loaded trailer/Caravan…

It seems Top Gear is where that idea came from. Didn’t see it myself as i don’t watch TV nowadays, but i certainly was aware of that advice a very long time before it was on TG. As with many things, it seems the advice has changed over the years. They used to strap up broken ribs didn’t they?
One wonders why a carpenter was towing bullocks? One up from talking them i suppose :laughing: Sad the smart looking seat beltless old chap was killed :frowning:

Having pulled cattle trailers, horse boxes & loaded car transporter trailers i think if i got a serious swing on this is what would do, though no doubt some of you won’t agree:

1. Drop a gear (or if in 5th drop to 3rd)

2. Watch the trailer in the mirrors, just as it passes in line with the towing vehicle, just a quick stab on the brake to cause the trailer to over run hence applying its own brakes.

I remember once some 25+ years ago having to come all the way back from London with a Volvo Estate, car transporter & a non-runner Triumph Stag which for various reasons prevailing at the time could only be loaded backwards. (i.e. engine weight at the back). Never again, max 45 mph all the way or she started the St. Bernards waltz.