Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Imagine being given one of these wagons new…perhaps your pride and joy at the time, you’d know her intimately, every little nuance, every rattle, squeal, shake and sound, then the old girl gets sold on, eventually retires and ends up abandoned, like these…Some will be saved to get rebuilt and put back on the road, but not for the majority.
So, here’s a few more, sadly resting and rusting away…

19894012025_f729c24dfb.jpg

10081910143857256589424.jpg

9477321273_f059b74e63.jpg

9165916340_5b4ed5d50e.jpg

8634332980_82053ea798_b.jpg

5945881482_9130cf0743_b.jpg

5945324243_19162dd85f.jpg

Nice pictures David.
Though am both in tears and enraged at that poor magnum having been vandalised.
Surely she would have been a great motor with life left on her or at least a great donor. But after a year or so this interior will be as dead as the exterior.
Such a shame.
Come to think of it, the first AEs will soon be turning 26. They are slowly starting to appear on the classic scene, as do the first FHs.

Here’s pic’s of the French lorries that I would love to have driven, in no particular order, although my favorite, (had I been born 10 years earlier) would be the TV cabbed Bernard…

JL 20.200 V 74.jpg

3237608407_1_3_DJ3W7h0Y.jpg

3230731817_1_2_g2ZQdBjd.jpg

3221076659_1_2_JGTdRXko.jpg

3198472491_1_2_BZRU48zd.jpg

Davidoff:
Nice pictures David.
Surely she would have been a great motor with life left on her or at least a great donor. But after a year or so this interior will be as dead as the exterior.
Such a shame.
Come to think of it, the first AEs will soon be turning 26. They are slowly starting to appear on the classic scene, as do the first FHs.

Junior…

There was a Magnum parked up in the next village to us, a 6 X 4 and English registered in a similar condition, although not so vandalized …I eventually got around to going there with the camera to get some snaps but it had gone. Speaking to a neighbor he said the Mayor of the village had told the guy to get rid of it as it was an eye sore, the guy himself had moved on, so the mystery and history of that particular Magnum does remain…a mystery !!

If there has to be a favorite pic for 2015…it’d be this one…

Couple for you David Junior…so you don’t feel left out with all these french wagons… :wink:

Fergie47:

Davidoff:
Nice pictures David.
Such a shame.

Junior…

There was a Magnum parked up in the next village to us, a 6 X 4 and English registered in a similar condition, although not so vandalized …I eventually got around to going there with the camera to get some snaps but it had gone. Speaking to a neighbor he said the Mayor of the village had told the guy to get rid of it as it was an eye sore, the guy himself had moved on, so the mystery and history of that particular Magnum does remain…a mystery !!

Hi Fergie, Just trying to remember who ran 6x4 Magnums in England,was it R.H from Nottingham? had single tyres on drive axles. Good shot of the Saviem in the snow mate, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

Fergie47:

Davidoff:
Nice pictures David.
Such a shame.

Junior…

Hi Fergie, Just trying to remember who ran 6x4 Magnums in England,was it R.H from Nottingham? had single tyres on drive axles. Good shot of the Saviem in the snow mate, Cheer’s Pete

Pete…it was red mate…no name…it was in a fenced off area in his garden, cab half tilted, bits missing, wheels off…looked like it was being used for parts to keep another running although I didn’t see another one…definitely twin wheels on the rear bogie though, and Renault engine not a Mack…
Wish I’d got there earlier…must keep a camera handy in future !!!

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Fergie47:

Davidoff:
Nice pictures David.
Such a shame.

Junior…

Pete…it was red mate…no name…it was in a fenced off area in his garden, cab half tilted, bits missing, wheels off…looked like it was being used for parts to keep another running although I didn’t see another one…definitely twin wheels on the rear bogie though, and Renault engine not a Mack…
Wish I’d got there earlier…must keep a camera handy in future !!!

You got me thinking now Fergie, I have seen some 6x4 Magnums on N reg’s, did Norbert run any?

Pete…it wasn’t a Dentressangle, I’d have spotted that. Thinking about it, I’m sure it was S reg. Unless the guy is on here or someone recognises it, it’s gonna be a mystery… I wont mention the village just in case… However, call me a cynical old sod, when I was looking at it, and every time I passed it, I use to get the feeling…“that ain’t quite right”… :open_mouth:

Fergie47:
Couple for you David Junior…so you don’t feel left out with all these french wagons… :wink:

Thanks for that Senior

Amazing that that picture should turn with Fleet unit number 91. For Friderici have located that very same vehicle some 5 years ago now, bought her back from the fairground operator in Belgium who had bought her up many years ago, and started her complete restoration.

I think I posted on that earlier. Oh well, I will be forgiven somehow.
And the nice thing is that they keep a very tidy website of that restoration project, please check the latest pictures dating from 2015. Very nice indeed me thinks!

See here - the same motor when in operation with Friderici: kenworth.ch/2011/03/page/2/

And here the restoration work well underway: kenworth.ch/

Enjoy!

Fergie47:
Here’s pic’s of the French lorries that I would love to have driven, in no particular order, although my favorite, (had I been born 10 years earlier) would be the TV cabbed Bernard…

Evening all,

Fergie and I share a passion for the “Television cab” Bernards. Remember we are back in the early 60s, and that lorry in Fergies picture, a Bernard 6 RA 150, with its licence built Gardner LX @165 hp for its 6x2 26 tonne gvw. was operated by a nice little fleet based in Chateaurenard, Bouches du Rhone owned by Jean Chaussat and his family. They were primarily "Primeurs", hauliers of fresh fruit and vegetables from the south to the markets of Paris and the north. They used big power 4 wheelers in the main, although there were many drawbars as well. The bodywork, in this case it looks like the work of DOllivo, also of Chateaurenard has the characteristic “capocine”, (or Luton head as we would call it), and sheeted open top to allow the cube of the load to be increased easily.

Jean Chaussat was primarily a Unic operator in the `60s, having operated the 9.84 litre (so handsome) bonneted 180 hp Galibier in 4x2 19 tonne configuration. The acquisition of a Bernard was a major sales success for Bernard, as in the main Les Primeurs needed big power for speed was the most vital fact when they acquired lorries, in the main Berliet 10 litres @180 hp, Unics, Saviem Jls with 200hp.

It was a frequent fact that “Les Primeurs” painted their lorries in the livery of the client who gave them their return loads from Paris or the north. In the case of Jean Chaussat, all his lorries carried the grey and red livery of Radio Television Grammont with whom he held a distribution contract for the south east part of France.

Boy could those Primeurs make their lorries go, I quickly learned to keep a close eye on my mirrors and look out for the yellow headlights and battery of vivid fog lamps coming up behind, a little 4LK Gardner simply could not match their velocity, so I always eased over to let them pass!

Happy mempries Gentlemen.

Cheerio for now.

Morning all,

Just a couple of thoughts to set the scene regarding Les Primeurs, “the fruit and veg men” of the south, who ran to , (in the main), the old Paris Markets of Les Halles. A chaotic collection of merchants based in the area of Paris around Avenue Sebastopol. Their activities were at their peak post WW2 up to the introduction, (nationally), of the Markets of National Interest, (MINs), in the case of Paris Rungis around the late `60s.

The vehicles of choice tended to be big power, get to market quickly at all costs! So the slower, or low powered products, such as Willeme, and Bernard tended to be ignored in favour of the quick and comfortable Berliet and Unic products. Bodywork was unique in design and execution, canvas tops on box vans with drop down tailboards and over cab capocines increased capacity for the haulier / producer by over 100 crates of vegetables.

Work was seasonal, as the seasons moved along, loaded vehicles would leave the south around mid day, arriving at Les Halles around midnight, often crewed by two drivers. The RN6 and 7 were the natural routes, in winter the lack of gritting, and high speeds required resulted in spectacular accidents. In summer the heat took its toll on the 1200 tyre equipment fitted to both 19 tonne 4x2, and 26 tonne 6x2 lorries.

As in the UK there was a strong bond between the drivers, many of them owner drivers, or small hauliers, and it was unusual to see any Primeur left alone by the roadside. Sheets would be pulled back to ventilate the loads in the heat. The unreliability of the tyre equipment in the heat resulted in the installation of the unique tyre warning system so often seen with its distinctive wire running from the central wheel hub which in the event of a puncture would sound an alarm in the cab. And if you were struggling to change a wheel, well you would not be alone for long…bit like it was in the UK!

Cheerio for now,

Hi Fergie,
Here is a photo of a 6x4 Magnum (pic courtesy of phillybob) it looks like it is on single wheels on rear, checked on Commercial motor archive and it was an option so I have not dreamt it!, Cheer’s Pete

fl101 003.jpg

pete smith:
Hi Fergie,
Here is a photo of a 6x4 Magnum (pic courtesy of phillybob) it looks like it is on single wheels on rear, checked on Commercial motor archive and it was an option so I have not dreamt it!, Cheer’s Pete

You didn’t dream it Pete - RH Freight had a few c.1992 :slight_smile:

pete smith:
Hi Fergie,

I think if would be a wise man, with a big shed and few shillings, to buy a couple of them…theyre cheap. at the moment, and a definate classic of the future… Years back you couldn’t give the Transcontinentals away, now they’re mega money… :unamused: up

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Hi Fergie,

I think if would be a wise man, with a big shed and few shillings, to buy a couple of them…theyre cheap. at the moment, and a definate classic of the future… Years back you couldn’t give the Transcontinentals away, now they’re mega money… :unamused:

Davidoff:

Fergie47:

Thanks for that Senior

Amazing that that picture should turn with Fleet unit number 91. For Friderici have located that very same vehicle some 5 years ago now, bought her back from the fairground operator in Belgium who had bought her up many years ago, and started her complete restoration.

I think I posted on that earlier. Oh well, I will be forgiven somehow.
And the nice thing is that they keep a very tidy website of that restoration project, please check the latest pictures dating from 2015. Very nice indeed me thinks!

See here - the same motor when in operation with Friderici: kenworth.ch/2011/03/page/2/

And here the restoration work well underway: kenworth.ch/

Enjoy!

Brilliant Junior. good find…bet mechanically there won’t be much to do, those diffs look in great condition…will follow this and watch the progress…

pete smith:
Hi Fergie,

Evening everybody,

I’ve once read a article about a german company who were using at least two double drive Magnum’s on their “daily” trips to Siberia… Must have been mid 90’s I reckon. As far as I can remember the Magnum’s were holding it together on those trips, apart from the thermometer that is, when it got colder than -20 it just indicated nowt…

Patrick

I’ve just came across some pics I’ve made a few years ago, whilst waiting to load a secondhand draw bar trailer, I had a look around, and although there were none french marques, hopefully you will find it interesting :sunglasses:

Patrick

063.JPG

064.JPG

061.JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

066.JPG

060.JPG

059.JPG