Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Froggy55:
Perfect proportions for this c. 1960 Magirus.

Nice “motor home” Froggy…wouldn’t want to be stuck behind it on a D road though… :unamused:

ERF-NGC-European:
Anyone know off-hand what years the DAF 2000 was built?

EDIT to say that I’ve just come across a good explanation on the internet, so rather than delete my above post, I’ll quote the explanation here for others to enjoy!

"In 1957, DAF launched the 2000 DO series. This was designed to meet the growing requirement in international cross-border trucking, and was initially powered by 11,1-litre, 165bhp Leyland-built 0.680 engines, but subsequently by the DP 680 220bhp engine. The 2000 DO had a 10-ton rear axle designed for operation at a gross vehicle weight of 35 tons, which was allowed in Germany and many other European countries, except Holland.

Its cab was essentially a modified version of that introduced on the 1300, 1600, T1800 and 1900 series., with a large grille on the front to aid engine cooling. However, due to a number of changes in European trucking legislation, the 2000 DO was not the great success it should have been.

A sleeper cab version of the 2000 DO was introduced in 1961, alongside a 6x2 AS model for heavy haulage. The model range was expanded again in 1963 with the introduction of the 2300 DO series. Both ranges shared the same cab style and Leyland 0.680 engines, but they have different axles, giving different weight categories, with the 2300 DO rated up to 35 tons. In 1964, an updated series came to replace 2000 DO / 2300 DO"

Hey,
This here is the last model of the so called DO serie, and the only model in the Daf ranges without corner windows.
First appeared in 1966 as 2200 and 2400 with Leyland’s 0680 and DP680, a year later they got the new Daf engine as DKD and DK 163hp and 212hp netto, sold as 180 and 230hp. They were built till 1971, but a heavy duty model as ATE2400DK was built till the mid seventies, mostly used for wood transport in black Africa, ll yellow painted. Now there is one which has come back for restauration, of course it looks not so best after a half century hard working in the African woods.

Eric,

tiptop495:

ERF-NGC-European:
Anyone know off-hand what years the DAF 2000 was built?

EDIT to say that I’ve just come across a good explanation on the internet, so rather than delete my above post, I’ll quote the explanation here for others to enjoy!

"In 1957, DAF launched the 2000 DO series. This was designed to meet the growing requirement in international cross-border trucking, and was initially powered by 11,1-litre, 165bhp Leyland-built 0.680 engines, but subsequently by the DP 680 220bhp engine. The 2000 DO had a 10-ton rear axle designed for operation at a gross vehicle weight of 35 tons, which was allowed in Germany and many other European countries, except Holland.

Its cab was essentially a modified version of that introduced on the 1300, 1600, T1800 and 1900 series., with a large grille on the front to aid engine cooling. However, due to a number of changes in European trucking legislation, the 2000 DO was not the great success it should have been.

A sleeper cab version of the 2000 DO was introduced in 1961, alongside a 6x2 AS model for heavy haulage. The model range was expanded again in 1963 with the introduction of the 2300 DO series. Both ranges shared the same cab style and Leyland 0.680 engines, but they have different axles, giving different weight categories, with the 2300 DO rated up to 35 tons. In 1964, an updated series came to replace 2000 DO / 2300 DO"

Hey,
This here is the last model of the so called DO serie, and the only model in the Daf ranges without corner windows.
First appeared in 1966 as 2200 and 2400 with Leyland’s 0680 and DP680, a year later they got the new Daf engine as DKD and DK 163hp and 212hp netto, sold as 180 and 230hp. They were built till 1971, but a heavy duty model as ATE2400DK was built till the mid seventies, mostly used for wood transport in black Africa, ll yellow painted. Now there is one which has come back for restauration, of course it looks not so best after a half century hard working in the African woods.

Eric,

Thanks Eric!

Fergie47:
A French friend who works in central France took these pics, and chatted to the owner who has completely rebuilt the lorry, trailer, and digger… beautiful

What a cracking job Dave,

Fergie47:
A French friend who works in central France took these pics, and chatted to the owner who has completely rebuilt the lorry, trailer, and digger… beautiful

Never heard of this one here! What a beautiful job!

A typical scene of the fifties and sixties in the Languedoc. In the goods yard of the station of Pezens, West of Carcassonne, tankers pump their load of “nectar” into railway tanks which will probably head for the Entrepôts de Bercy, in Paris where their content will be blended and bottled. The wine is doubtlessly a gros rouge qui tache, (thick red wine that’s harsh on the throat), that nobody would drink today.
The first truck is a Somua with a special cab, and the second a Renault Fainéant with a 120 bhp underfloor horizontal engine. The car is a Renault Frégate, the top model of the range in these days.

The Entrepôts de Bercy were closed gradually until the early eighties:
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrep%C3%B4ts_de_Bercy

Wine transport in the 60 th , Saviem JL 20 and JL 20-200 ( grey one with Henschel engine ).

michel:
Wine transport in the 60 th , Saviem JL 20 and JL 20-200 ( grey one with Henschel engine ).

Lovely old vehicles, lovely old building- But that region of France, Languedoc-Roussillion, is one of my favourites. Parts of my wee house, near Carcassonne, date from 1523!

Michel’s scene is certainly shot on the premises of a wine cooperative of Languedoc. Wine is no longer carried by train, but still by tanker trucks.

Here are two more wine tankers. Top is a Berliet GDHE 12 of the 1930s; bottom a post WW-II Berliet GDM 10.

Dipster, what’s your wee house? I tried to know more on the internet, but can only see kinds of wooden garden chalets or tiny houses. Obviously nothing to do with that if it dates back to 1523!

Froggy55:
Michel’s scene is certainly shot on the premises of a wine cooperative of Languedoc. Wine is no longer carried by train, but still by tanker trucks.

Here are two more wine tankers. Top is a Berliet GDHE 12 of the 1930s; bottom a post WW-II Berliet GDM 10.

Dipster, what’s your wee house? I tried to know more on the internet, but can only see kinds of wooden garden chalets or tiny houses. Obviously nothing to do with that if it dates back to 1523!

OK Froggy, maybe it is not that wee, it does have 4 bedrooms.

But certainly no chateau! But it is very picturesque and a pleasant place to spend time. Skiing is not too far away in the winter (not that I ski but my sons do), The med not too far away in the other direction! And before anybody goes thinking it is valuable remember that L’Aude is, I believe, the poorest departement in France. House prices reflect this as they did decades ago when I purchased the house when it needed some loving care. But still a lovely place being near the canal du midi too. Our neighbour is actually the local viticulteur, the wine producer, who does live in a chateau! Charmingly at each vendange he tours the area giving his neighbours 12 bottles of his latest production.

pete smith:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:

I concur with Paul and Pete Senior, what a looker that is! Anyone noticed that on the side of the cab there’s a sticker which reads “Telma”… I didn’t knew Telma retarders were already available in the 50s or 60s?

As it happens I’m always really interested in old low loaders or semi low loaders, now I’ve never heard or seen a Masso trailer before, but apparently they’re still making trailers! Click on the link for more information; masso-trailer.com/eng/index.html

And may I capture this moment and congratulate everyone who made it possible for this fine thread to reach 300 pages! Well done everyone, and I raise my glass to Monsieur Saviem, who’s input is still missed every day…

pv83:
And may I capture this moment and congratulate everyone who made it possible for this fine thread to reach 300 pages! Well done everyone, and I raise my glass to Monsieur Saviem, who’s input is still missed every day…

Patrick I join you in raising a glass to M. Saviem what a mine of information he was I only met him once on a Renault factory visit to Lyon but once met never forgotten R.I.P. John.

Hope we will be able to get together soon with you, senior,and the Wulfrunian lad ! Angie sends her love x

Regards
Richard

pv83:

Indeed. I am sure we all miss his informative and often amusing posts. Doubtless the thread will continue for many years.

Dipster:

Froggy55:

OK Froggy, maybe it is not that wee, it does have 4 bedrooms.

But certainly no chateau! But it is very picturesque and a pleasant place to spend time. Skiing is not too far away in the winter (not that I ski but my sons do), The med not too far away in the other direction! And before anybody goes thinking it is valuable remember that L’Aude is, I believe, the poorest departement in France. House prices reflect this as they did decades ago when I purchased the house when it needed some loving care. But still a lovely place being near the canal du midi too. Our neighbour is actually the local viticulteur, the wine producer, who does live in a chateau! Charmingly at each vendange he tours the area giving his neighbours 12 bottles of his latest production.

I perfectly agree with you! I love that area. I have a close friend near St-Paul de Fenouillet (Pyrénées-Orientales) who I used to visit twice a year until I had to take care of my aged Mum in 2019, and the the Covid broke in. I particularly like the Corbières area and the Ariège. Did you ever climb the famous Pic Bugarach, one of the two place which were supposed to escape the Apocalypse on 21 December 2012?

Well done on 300 pages !

Have posted this before but since its about Saviem i am sure people will enjoy the read. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Interesting stuff! I also love the Borderer’s dashboard. Nothing alike was offered on French truck of that time, which sometimes had to do with rectangular speed meters fitted on Citroën Ami 6 cars…

Here’s the inside of a 1970 Unic P 270; awful!

pv83:

300…that’s thanks to ever one who contributes with great photos of mostly French and European lorries, and those that have the knowledge of said lorries and share it with us, it’s the information that makes the photo come alive…after John left us, sadly so early, the thread slowed a bit, glad to say it’s gone from strength to strength and in memory of a nice man…

pv83:

pete smith:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:

I concur with Paul and Pete Senior, what a looker that is! Anyone noticed that on the side of the cab there’s a sticker which reads “Telma”… I didn’t knew Telma retarders were already available in the 50s or 60s?

As it happens I’m always really interested in old low loaders or semi low loaders, now I’ve never heard or seen a Masso trailer before, but apparently they’re still making trailers! Click on the link for more information; masso-trailer.com/eng/index.html

Whipersnapper…yes telma have been going fo a long time, Pierre from Scaer has 2 of his collection of Saviems fitted with retarders… I think I’ve got a pic of one of them somewhere…that’d be late 50’s early 60’s… I think they fell out of favour because of the extra weight, some of the European, including Italian and Spanish, had them fitted on the trailers, I think it added a ton to the ulw

MaggieD:

pv83:

Patrick I join you in raising a glass to M. Saviem what a mine of information he was I only met him once on a Renault factory visit to Lyon but once met never forgotten R.I.P. John.

Hope we will be able to get together soon with you, senior,and the Wulfrunian lad ! Angie sends her love x

Regards
Richard

Seems ages since locomotion Richard, perhaps next year we’ll all meet up again, all being well, maybe froggy and Pierre Smythe could join us next time,
Hope you’re all well back in the sunny U.K. … :wink:

Transport Sabaton hauled wine from south France, they were Bernard customer.Here one with a Frappa cab.

MaggieD:

pv83:

Regards
Richard

Cheers Richard! How are you and the rest of the clan mate? Yes, hopefully we can all finally meet up again next year! Greetings to the Mrs :wink: