Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Dipster:
Ads painted onto buildings used to be very popular in France. Some were large covering the entire end of a house or barn. They probably took several days to paint too. am not sure when they were most used but it must have been dying out by the 60’s. Perhaps other Francophiles on the forum might know. I seem to remember most of them being for oil companies or vehicle manufacturers or dealers. But there were some food companies promoted too. I only saw them afters years of fading in the sun when they looked quaint. Perhaps when new and more visually imposing they might have been considered by some as eyesores.

You’re right. They were popular when the trafic went through towns and villages, and faded out with the gradual opening of motorways diring the sixties. This one still can be seen in Moulins-Engilbert (Nièvre).

Froggy55:

Dipster:
Ads painted onto buildings used to be very popular in France. Some were large covering the entire end of a house or barn. They probably took several days to paint too. am not sure when they were most used but it must have been dying out by the 60’s. Perhaps other Francophiles on the forum might know. I seem to remember most of them being for oil companies or vehicle manufacturers or dealers. But there were some food companies promoted too. I only saw them afters years of fading in the sun when they looked quaint. Perhaps when new and more visually imposing they might have been considered by some as eyesores.

0You’re right. They were popular when the trafic went through towns and villages, and faded out with the gradual opening of motorways diring the sixties. This one still can be seen in Moulins-Engilbert (Nièvre).

Thinking about it I must say that I would prefer to see painted signs such as these to the, what I find, horrible giant TV screens that one finds around towns nowadays. Do others agree?

I think it’s just their vintage look that makes them attractive now. And probably also the fact such ads could only concern products that stayed in production for a long time, not special offers for smartphone subscription!

Froggy55:
I think it’s just their vintage look that makes them attractive now. And probably also the fact such ads could only concern products that stayed in production for a long time, not special offers for smartphone subscription!

I wonder what the building owner got in return? It doesn’t look as if any contract included a “return to the condition we found it clause”!

Probably just a yearly rent, and the weather was supposed to wash away the ad’.

In France, we got the Ford ‘Cargo’ a few years before the UK, it was built with V8 gas engine or Hercules Diesel , later integrated in Unic when Ford US sold its factory in France to Simca.

Here the commercial brochure :

Willème LC 610 T. The first “Shark nose” model with 175 bhp engine, registrated in 1954.

These two are still earning it’s keep, spotted them a couple of weeks ago on the A432 near Lyon airport.

20210603_121713.jpg

Production of the first one stopped in 1996; the KB 2400 cab had been introduced in 1970 on the Berliet TR 300.

Froggy55:
Production of the first one stopped in 1996; the KB 2400 cab had been introduced in 1970 on the Berliet TR 300.

I didn’t realise that production ended in '96 Paul, seems that cab had a good long run!

From a newspaper article, converted Mack that was used for international haulage, not sure why they sort of made a halfcab out of it…?

These all have in common that they were used by hauliers in the East of Holland.

80588458_2570602559841439_1656453252662689792_n.jpg

pv83:
These all have in common that they were used by hauliers in the East of Holland.

Any idea about the make of the first tractor? RHD, but unusual front wheels for a British truck. Its semi-trailer has an strange wire-mesh chassis; interesting!

Last one loks built on a Bedfor VAL chassis.

These trucks were used by the French Railways to deliver parcels in Paris and its suburbs. I perfectly remember them when I was a child in the early sixties. All fitted with a FAR coupling produced under Scammell licence.

Panhard

Latil

First picture is a FIAT-tractor with possibly a DAM-trailer…just like York did many years later, manufacturers
did everything (holes in the chassis or ‘only’ small structures) to safe weight and maintain strength. Holland has
quite a reputation in terms of overloading.

80792423_2570593479842347_8449952549737332736_n.jpg

Thanks! In fact, I had thought about FIAT, but too late!

Fiat hauling French tyres.

pv83:
From a newspaper article, converted Mack that was used for international haulage, not sure why they sort of made a halfcab out of it…?

It has more of a look of a converted Leyland passenger chassis, especially the wheels, and of course, it’s right-hand drive.

michel:
Fiat hauling French tyres.

Well, “French” tyres…Italy had early factories in Cuneo, Alessandria and Turin…to serve the giant car- and truck-industry there.