Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Froggy55:
A German beast of the mid-thirties, the Vomag 8 LR 658. 150, later 160 bhp big 6-cylinder engine, and 18.5 tonnes GW on 3 axles. Video here:
youtube.com/watch?v=D2RwWsilbaE

Three good pics there Froggy, some bonetts on those beauties…heres a few more

bernar15.jpg

Fine trucks indeed, but German trucks of the thirties all had an unique mighty look. The two Latil and the last Bernard were powered by the same engine: 105 bhp Gardner 6 LW, which was considered as one of the best diesels of its time.

Finally!..a truck that I can actually relate to.

O.K., it too doesn’t have a lot going for it in the beauty contest stakes, but it does look to be eminently functional, and I should imagine that it doesn’t come equipped with cruise control or electric windows or any other aspect of irritating computer oriented electronic bollox, designed to fail at the least convenient moment.

It probably just has a length of brass welding rod sticking out of the engine compartment connected to the fuel pump to shut the engine down. Just like the one that I had in my Guy Invincible pile of ■■■.

In short, this wagon looks as if it could be repaired by the side of the road, using just a handful of Whitworth spanners and a set of Stillsons. Mind you, being of foreign manufacture, it would probably need to be…( Oh bugger!, I’ve only just gone and done it again ).

But it’s the size of the cab that impresses me the most. Just look at it…I’m thinking,…equipped with the largest jar of Silverskin onions that Leader Price sell, a few store baked baguettes from the local Intermarché, a couple of cases of Paul Jaboulet’s finest Cotes du Rhône and a pallet of boxed plonk from the nearest Lidl as a backup , I could lay low in the garrigue and evade the Duke’s storm troopers for months on end in that thing.

Also, with my own private store of La Vache qui Rit conveniently at hand, I could probably even make it as far as the Bastille day exodus. They’d never find me then, as we all know, the roads in France are rendered effectively impassible at that time.

Eddie Heaton:

Finally!..a truck that I can actually relate to.

O.K., it too doesn’t have a lot going for it in the beauty contest stakes, but it does look to be eminently functional, and I should imagine that it doesn’t come equipped with cruise control or electric windows or any other aspect of irritating computer oriented electronic bollox, designed to fail at the least convenient moment.

It probably just has a length of brass welding rod sticking out of the engine compartment connected to the fuel pump to shut the engine down. Just like the one that I had in my Guy Invincible pile of ■■■.

In short, this wagon looks as if it could be repaired by the side of the road, using just a handful of Whitworth spanners and a set of Stillsons. Mind you, being of foreign manufacture, it would probably need to be…( Oh bugger!, I’ve only just gone and done it again ).

But it’s the size of the cab that impresses me the most. Just look at it…I’m thinking,…equipped with the largest jar of Silverskin onions that Leader Price sell, a few store baked baguettes from the local Intermarché, a couple of cases of Paul Jaboulet’s finest Cotes du Rhône and a pallet of boxed plonk from the nearest Lidl as a backup , I could lay low in the garrigue and evade the Duke’s storm troopers for months on end in that thing.

Also, with my own private store of La Vache qui Rit conveniently at hand, I could probably even make it as far as the Bastille day exodus. They’d never find me then, as we all know, the roads in France are rendered effectively impassible at that time.

As much as I love France and all things French (well, almost!) I would have to be really desperate to actually start eating La Vache Qui Rit. Same goes for Kiri…

Back in the seventies, my Dad visited the Bel factories (industrial cheese) and told us that they were made with stuff that a dog would not eat. Vache qui Rit is made with leftovers of various processed cheeses, mixed together and melted, with consistancy stabilisers and other chemical rubbish. Definitely not for me!

Froggy55:
Back in the seventies, my Dad visited the Bel factories (industrial cheese) and told us that they were made with stuff that a dog would not eat. Vache qui Rit is made with leftovers of various processed cheeses, mixed together and melted, with consistancy stabilisers and other chemical rubbish. Definitely not for me!

Thanks for the detailed information regarding the manufacturing process of La Vache qui Rit Froggy, being the philistine that I am, it sounds as though it should be right up my street.

As it happens, I’m also quite partial to a bit of President Brie on occasions, any information on the chemical composition of that stuff before I place my bulk order with Amazon?

Eddie Heaton:

Froggy55:

Thanks for the detailed information regarding the manufacturing process of La Vache qui Rit Froggy, being the philistine that I am, it sounds as though it should be right up my street.

As it happens, I’m also quite partial to a bit of President Brie on occasions, any information on the chemical composition of that stuff before I place my bulk order with Amazon?

What is it with the French and eating leftovers…? Ahum… I’ll get me coat…

As a nipper, I loved La Vache qui Rit actually, always brought a smile to my face when years later I passed their factory in Lons le Saunier (was a route for the heavies, town centre is now bypassed though unfortunately).

Fergie trust you & yours are well we all good here and my second jab due next week, saw your post of the truck below from Mazamet and it reminded me of that destination which I headed for in the early 70’s for PBC aka Franky Allen, tipped a load of apples in Liverpool market on a Sunday night reloading empty sheep at an old mill at the back of Taunton, on the way out the side of the old bridge gave way and over on its side it went, two days later shipped out of Poole on TRUCKLINE and made my way to Bordeaux but the Mandator day cab started to overheat in the end after numerous top ups of water the thing seized up so got recovered to a garage near Twoloos, it was too much for them to repair so they sent Bernie Thompson solo overnight to tip the trailer and load the knackered AEC on the back of the trailer when empty. Anyways Bernie arrived did customs and away to tip, remember we had to climb to the top of the mountain to turn round and just pulled into the side of the road to unload the sheep skins, the stream from the top was crystal clear but by this factory half way down the water was minging. At about 6pm we got to the garage and loaded the AEC and away but by this time Bernie was knackered and asked if I had ever driven a LHD as he had one of the four Berliet’s in the fleet, he did not stay awake too long and the roads were quiet as it was late Friday night and when he awoke we were well up through France and he took over to finish the trip me shipping into Poole with the trailer & AEC, never did another trip for Frankie after that as he sacked me on the Friday for sloping off from the yard at 4pm, all part of my International career which spans a very long time,

Fergie47:

pete smith:
[
Mr Whips,
If you fired anything form that recycled bean can you would be doing 80 mph in reverse!
Yes I agree with Dave that humour has been lacking over the last year, no shows to attend, travel restrictions (especially to Brittany area) but one good thing I have achieved is I’ve packed the ■■■■ in for over 4 months now and not had any booze for over 6 months.
Dave,
I have been receiving emails from Brittany Ferries regarding special offers so hopefully later in the year we can have a catch up, it could do with being this year as the VW is now approaching 100,000 miles so will be sold in the next few months and the company is going electric so I’ll probably end up with a milk float!
John’s memorial plaque was down to Norah and Anne-Marie and I do apologise for not thinking of posting it on here, it is nearly 5 years since John passed away.
Take Care all of you who post on here

Hi Pierre.
Nice to hear from you mate… Bonus if you’ve quit the ■■■■ and ale, congratulations, bet its been hard eh ? but that’s some achievement both at once, keep it up buddy…
Even a simple trip to France has become a nightmare, certainly looking forward to seeing you both again, guess you’ll need an extra 3 days each way in a EV, at least we’ve got 2 charging points in the village if you cant make it the last 400 mts to ours… :wink:

Hope when all this covid crap is settled to see a few more over too. fingers crossed…

Kisses to Nicki, normal slap on the head to you…keep safe, talk soon

Good to hear you’ve been off the booze and ■■■■ for that long already mate, keep it up! Erm… I was going to say keep her lit, but that might go down the wrong way…

Can’t you buy that T6? As a milkfloat doesn’t really suit you? :laughing:

2 charging points in the village Senior■■? Who said rural France was still stuck in medieval times eh!

Froggy55:

pv83:
I found a great introduction to the Turbostar! Click on the link;

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfuKm_UVpw&feature=share

Thanks, Patrick! The TurboStar was my favourite truck, and certainly the best of its generation! I preferd the 380 bhp engine, with a better torque at low revs than the square V8. A really brilliant ruck! At the time that video was made (1985), there were no speed limiters on trucks, and driving was a pleasure.

I remember the TurboStar because of it’s “shutters”, it really facinated me at the time, because no other marque seemed to have had them…?

Former colleague of mine used to drive one of the lesser powered TurboStars, but he too said that fully loaded and going uphill, the mighty Swedish V8’s rapidly became little dots in his mirrors!

Fergie47:

pv83:

Whips

Working at an Iveco agents in 1990 we supplied one to a local O. D. Graham Richardson, red, with chrome stacks and bumper, the dogs.
After preparation we took it out with a fully freighted tr-axle test trailer, bearing in mind its 30 years ago and 480 was a lot of horses then. There was steep hill near the yard and that thing was the only motor that I’d driven that you could change up through the gears going UP the hill, a scary amount of power… Years later I saw it parked up near Southampton water, semi-derelict and looking so sad, certainly one to have saved for prosperity. I’ve got a book on the history of Fiat / Iveco, the development story of the V8 is in it, interesting reading.

Engine wise they were probably on top of their game, they never really got on with the “big boys” though for some reason. Was that because of the building quality of the cab? A gentleman from Wolverhampton said recently “it’s made of cheese”…

Sounds like an interesting read Senior, I’ll have a look on this internet thingie, see if I can find it.

Buzzer:
Fergie trust you & yours are well we all good here,

Hi John, Yep, we’re good here thanks…great story, I wish I had the time to create a book with just anecdotes, like that one, it would make great reading…sadly they’ll all be lost in time if they’re not written down. Glad the photo reminded you of that particular trip.

pv83:
Sounds like an interesting read Senior, I’ll have a look on this internet thingie, see if I can find it.

Doubt you’ll find that book on the web Whips, it was a presentation book for Iveco employees, don’t think it was ever made public…you can have it next time we meet up…

Eddie Heaton:
[/quote]

Oh dear Edward, The world isn’t big enough for you to hide in, so do you think my horsemen couldn’t find you in a sleeper cab…the stink of those Leader Price Silverskin oinions would them a clue…good try, but not good enough… :wink:

We all might have different opinions on what’s stylish or not… but this one right here ticks all the boxes!

Doubt you’ll find that book on the web Whips, it was a presentation book for Iveco employees, don’t think it was ever made public…you can have it next time we meet up…

Cheers Senior, I really appreciate that.

Never would have thought that Bonduelle was that old…

Who knows more about this? Was it part of a nothern African expedition?

Panhard with local (dutch?) cab.

pv83:
Who knows more about this? Was it part of a nothern African expedition?

Biskra is in Algeria, if that’s any help! Ro

pv83:
Never would have thought that Bonduelle was that old…

My wife has a lovely book that explains the origins and history of old-established French brands. Many, many of the brands we know today are actually very old companies. At least the brand names are!

pv83:

Fergie47:

pv83:

Whips

Working at an Iveco agents in 1990 we supplied one to a local O. D. Graham Richardson, red, with chrome stacks and bumper, the dogs.
After preparation we took it out with a fully freighted tr-axle test trailer, bearing in mind its 30 years ago and 480 was a lot of horses then. There was steep hill near the yard and that thing was the only motor that I’d driven that you could change up through the gears going UP the hill, a scary amount of power… Years later I saw it parked up near Southampton water, semi-derelict and looking so sad, certainly one to have saved for prosperity. I’ve got a book on the history of Fiat / Iveco, the development story of the V8 is in it, interesting reading.

Engine wise they were probably on top of their game, they never really got on with the “big boys” though for some reason. Was that because of the building quality of the cab? A gentleman from Wolverhampton said recently “it’s made of cheese”…

Who is this Gent from Wolverhampton?
Only had a few days in a 190-30 and a 190-36 and even the 300’s were very willing engines, comfortable but at only 3 years old the rot had set in around the back of the cabs and wheel arches. The quality of the interior trim fitting was very poor which was a shame really as I thought they drove really well, never had anything to do with the V8’s as it was the wages that was important not the badge!