Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Froggy55:

pv83:

michel:
Well restored Saviem ‘Tancarville’ tipper with underfloor engine .

Long before Büssing started using underfloor engines then?

The underfloor-engined Saviems were produced from 1949 to 1967. Maybe prior to Büssing, but did Albion not produce such trucks in the '50s?

Hmm, who exactly was the first one to use a underfloor engine design then? As I always assumed that Büssing was the only manufacturer that opted for that specific engine design…

Long before the Volvo influence, there was a mash-up already…

Looks like a Photoshop job to me. How does the chamfer at the bottom of the Renault front panel match up with the corners of the Volvo cab?

[zb]
anorak:
Looks like a Photoshop job to me. How does the chamfer at the bottom of the Renault front panel match up with the corners of the Volvo cab?

The picture is not very good, but it could nevertheless be a Thomas-built truck using a Magnum cab. Maybe Combi 89 will know more?

pv83:
Does this ring any bells?

This one is fitted with a two-stroke opposed piston 3 cylinder CLM diesel.

google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … _Ln6TAmQzf

Froggy55:

pv83:
Does this ring any bells?

This one is fitted with a two-stroke opposed piston 3 cylinder CLM diesel.

google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … _Ln6TAmQzf

An interesting engine indeed. How many were made? The first paragraph of the attachment indicates what it was really suitable for-plodding away and getting the job done without fuss. But the regular maintenance schedule indicates that it could not really be left to work away too long without attention! I wonder if any are still around?

Certainly, mostly at farming shows and fairs, but very few survived. They were used as stationary engines for farming purposes or generators, and fitted on tractors and trucks, often as replacement of a petrol engine. They used a German Junkers licence.

In fact, the CLM engines were quite similar to the Rootes-Commer TS or Napier-Deltic (Class 55 railway locomotives), but with a different crankshaft arrangement, and a piston blowing instead of a turbine.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55
youtube.com/watch?v=D3bj47TAYiU

The French MAP also produced an opposed-piston two-stroke engine for their tractors:
techni-tacot.com/le-moteur- … iginalite/

Eddie Heaton:
Apologies Fergie, but I’ve only just seen your post , as there would appear to have been a flurry of activity on this thread since I last looked in.
Now I suppose it was inevitable that someone was bound to take umbrage at my remarks, but unfortunately I’m afraid I feel duty bound to inform you that I cannot find it within myself to retract my comments…after all, far is far, so I suppose this seems destined to end in Camembert at 12 paces at l’aube…( as the challenged party, I believe I have the right to choose the weapon.)
Had it been garlic bread and La Vache qui Rit, it may quite well have been ’ game on ', but the mere mention of escargot had me running for the bog.
See you on the duelling field at six heures demain…a bientôt …All the best Fergie…Eddie.

Bonjour Edward of Heaton…

Excuse the delay in replying… I’ve been busy on the jousting fields, needless to say I always win, maybe its down to the guillotine that I have erected in the main arena, with a few Knights heads in the basket to remind the competitors I don’t like losing… such power being the
Duke Philippe D’Bretagne…

Of course you missed out on the choice of weapons, had you chosen that English specialty of Tripe and Onions with a side dish of Black pudding, then I may have had to postpone our duel…whilst I honked up,… as for six in the morning…I understood that there was only one six and that was the in the evening, but I’m normally off ravishing maidens after tea and before supper, so you’ll have to re-schedule…sorry about that…
In the mean time I’ll have my artist make pictures of 1960’s British horseless carriages, and use them as target practice with my fine French cross bow… Au revoir

Now for some more French delights …

saviem12.jpg

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
[
Congratulations, Dave, for your excellent retort, full of humour and so far ahead of the recent thread between two respectable seniors about a futile disagreement. I discovered it when it had already been locked, but it really sounded like teenager squabbling! As I said, I agree with both of you (you and Eddie). That cab was a tremendous innovation in matter of space and comfort, but esthetically very “discutable”, as we say in French! Anyway, their drivers must have made other truckers envious, especially those who had to do with a cab of the '40s! And there were still a lot of them on the roads in 1960.

HI Paul and Whippersnapper…Hope this finds you both well.
With the last year and all these lock downs the humorous side of things has slowly eroded away, which isn’t really surprising considering, depressing times eh…its nice to bring back a little fun without giving offence, life is too short ( at my age) to get into churlish and acrimonious debates like others on this forum have.

The other day I read back starting at page 10-ish of this thread, when John Saviem was going to be the new President of France, and we regulars all had various jobs in his new government, it was a really good laugh, and everyone who submitted to it (sadly, some of those have passed on ) had a great sense of humor, perhaps one day it’ll happen again, subjects like Whippersnappers with manual gearboxes perhaps ?

As a foot note :- The other Sunday we were out on the pushbikes taking in a few local lanes, and in the middle of nowhere, up a driveway, was parked a Pink coach, had to grin, reminded me of Pat (Ainacs RIP ) trying to find us a cheap mobile brothel…in pink I’ll get a photo of it next time out… If you’re new-ish to this thread, have a look back, it may cheer you up…

It was nice of Neil to photograph the plaque outside of Johns farm… then find out about TN, take the trouble to join, and then put it up on here, there are some really nice people out there, I’m sure ever one who checks out this thread regularly appreciates it.

Just one nostalgic old pic…not sure what he’s doing, pumping something in or out of that man hole …it doesn’t look like a council gully wagon, any ideas ?

Dear Senior,

You’re on the ball there mate, about time we should get back to our standard of conversation on here!

I remember there were some vacancies in the early beginnings of this fine thread, is the one for minister of brothels still available, if so, I’m your man, but not a word to the Mrs please!

If not, I would be happy to take on the role of minister of the Les Routiers, come to think of it, that actually might be a more important matter than the brothel one… If that position too has been taken, there’s only one left for me… minister of the Convoi Exceptionnel department!

By the way, I found some proper set of wheels for you that will match perfectly with your status as Duke Philips 1st of Brittany… you can thank me later :wink:

I found a great introduction to the Turbostar! Click on the link;

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfuKm_UVpw&feature=share

Fergie47:

Eddie Heaton:
Apologies Fergie, but I’ve only just seen your post , as there would appear to have been a flurry of activity on this thread since I last looked in.
Now I suppose it was inevitable that someone was bound to take umbrage at my remarks, but unfortunately I’m afraid I feel duty bound to inform you that I cannot find it within myself to retract my comments…after all, far is far, so I suppose this seems destined to end in Camembert at 12 paces at l’aube…( as the challenged party, I believe I have the right to choose the weapon.)
Had it been garlic bread and La Vache qui Rit, it may quite well have been ’ game on ', but the mere mention of escargot had me running for the bog.
See you on the duelling field at six heures demain…a bientôt …All the best Fergie…Eddie.

Bonjour Edward of Heaton…

Excuse the delay in replying… I’ve been busy on the jousting fields, needless to say I always win, maybe its down to the guillotine that I have erected in the main arena, with a few Knights heads in the basket to remind the competitors I don’t like losing… such power being the
Duke Philippe D’Bretagne…

Of course you missed out on the choice of weapons, had you chosen that English specialty of Tripe and Onions with a side dish of Black pudding, then I may have had to postpone our duel…whilst I honked up,… as for six in the morning…I understood that there was only one six and that was the in the evening, but I’m normally off ravishing maidens after tea and before supper, so you’ll have to re-schedule…sorry about that…
In the mean time I’ll have my artist make pictures of 1960’s British horseless carriages, and use them as target practice with my fine French cross bow… Au revoir

pv83:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
[
Congratulations, Dave, for your excellent retort, full of humour and so far ahead of the recent thread between two respectable seniors about a futile disagreement. I discovered it when it had already been locked, but it really sounded like teenager squabbling! As I said, I agree with both of you (you and Eddie). That cab was a tremendous innovation in matter of space and comfort, but esthetically very “discutable”, as we say in French! Anyway, their drivers must have made other truckers envious, especially those who had to do with a cab of the '40s! And there were still a lot of them on the roads in 1960.

HI Paul and Whippersnapper…Hope this finds you both well.
With the last year and all these lock downs the humorous side of things has slowly eroded away, which isn’t really surprising considering, depressing times eh…its nice to bring back a little fun without giving offence, life is too short ( at my age) to get into churlish and acrimonious debates like others on this forum have.

The other day I read back starting at page 10-ish of this thread, when John Saviem was going to be the new President of France, and we regulars all had various jobs in his new government, it was a really good laugh, and everyone who submitted to it (sadly, some of those have passed on ) had a great sense of humor, perhaps one day it’ll happen again, subjects like Whippersnappers with manual gearboxes perhaps ?

As a foot note :- The other Sunday we were out on the pushbikes taking in a few local lanes, and in the middle of nowhere, up a driveway, was parked a Pink coach, had to grin, reminded me of Pat (Ainacs RIP ) trying to find us a cheap mobile brothel…in pink I’ll get a photo of it next time out… If you’re new-ish to this thread, have a look back, it may cheer you up…

It was nice of Neil to photograph the plaque outside of Johns farm… then find out about TN, take the trouble to join, and then put it up on here, there are some really nice people out there, I’m sure ever one who checks out this thread regularly appreciates it.

Just one nostalgic old pic…not sure what he’s doing, pumping something in or out of that man hole …it doesn’t look like a council gully wagon, any ideas ?

Dear Senior,

You’re on the ball there mate, about time we should get back to our standard of conversation on here!

I remember there were some vacancies in the early beginnings of this fine thread, is the one for minister of brothels still available, if so, I’m your man, but not a word to the Mrs please!

If not, I would be happy to take on the role of minister of the Les Routiers, come to think of it, that actually might be a more important matter than the brothel one… If that position too has been taken, there’s only one left for me… minister of the Convoi Exceptionnel department!

By the way, I found some proper set of wheels for you that will match perfectly with your status as Duke Philips 1st of Brittany… you can thank me later :wink:

Mr Whips,
If you fired anything form that recycled bean can you would be doing 80 mph in reverse!
Yes I agree with Dave that humour has been lacking over the last year, no shows to attend, travel restrictions (especially to Brittany area) but one good thing I have achieved is I’ve packed the ■■■■ in for over 4 months now and not had any booze for over 6 months.
Dave,
I have been receiving emails from Brittany Ferries regarding special offers so hopefully later in the year we can have a catch up, it could do with being this year as the VW is now approaching 100,000 miles so will be sold in the next few months and the company is going electric so I’ll probably end up with a milk float!
John’s memorial plaque was down to Norah and Anne-Marie and I do apologise for not thinking of posting it on here, it is nearly 5 years since John passed away.
Take Care all of you who post on here

pv83:

Thanks, Patrick! The TurboStar was my favourite truck, and certainly the best of its generation! I preferd the 380 bhp engine, with a better torque at low revs than the square V8. A really brilliant ruck! At the time that video was made (1985), there were no speed limiters on trucks, and driving was a pleasure.

Now that truly is a beautiful motor, It’s almost as beautiful as the one above it in fact. Such is the resemblance of one to the other that I can only assume both designs sprang from the drawing board of the same design team.

I’m guessing that Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen had a hand in it actually, after being tasked with the job of designing a prime mover for a Pet Shop Boys tour.

Now I trust my future absence from this forum will be forgiven, as I am currently in the process of selling up and relocating to a place as yet unknown to myself, although a mosquito infested backwater somewhere in the vicinity of the Darien gap would appear to be a good choice at this point, rather than fall into the hands of Duke Philippe’s special mounted forces.

Better to die quickly in the crushing embrace of a giant anaconda in my view, than to spend my remaining years peering out at the Med through a ■■■■■ in the wall of my cell in the Chateau D’If, my only sustenance being fois gras, force fed via an inappropriate aperture.

A German beast of the mid-thirties, the Vomag 8 LR 658. 150, later 160 bhp big 6-cylinder engine, and 18.5 tonnes GW on 3 axles. Video here:
youtube.com/watch?v=D2RwWsilbaE

pv83:
[

That machine is no good, one up the spout and 6 spare, not enough…especially with the problems we’re having with
Edward Philistine of Heaton…we need bigger, with more fire power… :smiling_imp:

Most of the positions have been filled in Saviems government, just the top job available, if you’re man enough… :unamused:

pete smith:
[
Mr Whips,
If you fired anything form that recycled bean can you would be doing 80 mph in reverse!
Yes I agree with Dave that humour has been lacking over the last year, no shows to attend, travel restrictions (especially to Brittany area) but one good thing I have achieved is I’ve packed the ■■■■ in for over 4 months now and not had any booze for over 6 months.
Dave,
I have been receiving emails from Brittany Ferries regarding special offers so hopefully later in the year we can have a catch up, it could do with being this year as the VW is now approaching 100,000 miles so will be sold in the next few months and the company is going electric so I’ll probably end up with a milk float!
John’s memorial plaque was down to Norah and Anne-Marie and I do apologise for not thinking of posting it on here, it is nearly 5 years since John passed away.
Take Care all of you who post on here

Hi Pierre.
Nice to hear from you mate… Bonus if you’ve quit the ■■■■ and ale, congratulations, bet its been hard eh ? but that’s some achievement both at once, keep it up buddy…
Even a simple trip to France has become a nightmare, certainly looking forward to seeing you both again, guess you’ll need an extra 3 days each way in a EV, at least we’ve got 2 charging points in the village if you cant make it the last 400 mts to ours… :wink:

Hope when all this covid crap is settled to see a few more over too. fingers crossed…

Kisses to Nicki, normal slap on the head to you…keep safe, talk soon

pv83:

Whips

Working at an Iveco agents in 1990 we supplied one to a local O. D. Graham Richardson, red, with chrome stacks and bumper, the dogs.
After preparation we took it out with a fully freighted tr-axle test trailer, bearing in mind its 30 years ago and 480 was a lot of horses then. There was steep hill near the yard and that thing was the only motor that I’d driven that you could change up through the gears going UP the hill, a scary amount of power… Years later I saw it parked up near Southampton water, semi-derelict and looking so sad, certainly one to have saved for prosperity. I’ve got a book on the history of Fiat / Iveco, the development story of the V8 is in it, interesting reading.

Eddie Heaton:

Now that truly is a beautiful motor, It’s almost as beautiful as the one above it in fact. Such is the resemblance of one to the other that I can only assume both designs sprang from the drawing board of the same design team.

I’m guessing that Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen had a hand in it actually, after being tasked with the job of designing a prime mover for a Pet Shop Boys tour.

Now I trust my future absence from this forum will be forgiven, as I am currently in the process of selling up and relocating to a place as yet unknown to myself, although a mosquito infested backwater somewhere in the vicinity of the Darien gap would appear to be a good choice at this point, rather than fall into the hands of Duke Philippe’s special mounted forces.

Better to die quickly in the crushing embrace of a giant anaconda in my view, than to spend my remaining years peering out at the Med through a ■■■■■ in the wall of my cell in the Chateau D’If, my only sustenance being fois gras, force fed via an inappropriate aperture.

So, Edward d’Philistine of Heaton, not only do you insult the beautiful Bernard, you now throw aspersion upon the magnificent Willeme by comparing it to a bleedin orange, designed by a funny looking bloke on behalf of a weird band…AND…if you seriously think that you will get a ■■■■■ in the wall of a cell overlooking the med to see your days out, you’re way out matey, bricked up behind a wall in a dungeon in Bretagne, and, if you’re lucky you’ll be fed once a day on Mrs Fergies home made porridge, and you thought snails were bad…keep looking over your shoulder, the horsemen are coming, and you’ve nowhere to hide… :stuck_out_tongue: