Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Labourier 4x4 built not far from the Swiss border in Jura, began with FWD license.

I had never seen this one before! Maybe Deutz-powered, looking to the fans behind the grille?

Froggy55:
I had never seen this one before! Maybe Deutz-powered, looking to the fans behind the grille?

That is possible. Looking at the tyres that are of a pattern suitable for sandy use I wonder if the builder was simply ensuring that the engine would get a good cooling blast whilst labouring slowly through sand.

A 6x6 lorry from Labourier which belonged to the famous Colas firm:

michel:
A 6x6 lorry from Labourier which belonged to the famous Colas firm:

A very impressive looking unit Michel, was it based on a ex-military vehicle though?

From the Spanish archives (nmp), looks like the trailer has got a steer axle?

Some more from the Spanish shoe box, does anyone recognise pictured units?

Never seen anything like those three. Again, I learn. Superb post.

We must now identify them. :smiley:

pv83:
From the Spanish archives (nmp), looks like the trailer has got a steer axle?

Not looks like, but definitely has!

pv83:
Some more from the Spanish shoe box, does anyone recognise pictured units?

Unfortunately total mysteries to me. Never een seen the logos!

Albatros Karpetan was built by Lerma Autobastidores Industriales from 1963 to 1968 in Zaragoza with Perkins or Henschel engines.

Nazar was also built in Zaragoza from 1957 to 1967 by Factoria Napoles with Perkins engines, they also built buses and were bought by Barreiros. Some are preserved in Spain.

Merci encore, Monsieur Michel!

They must have been proud of the Henschel association, as the cab is styled to match the German maker’s cab. I had a look at a few Henschels, and the Albatros cab is different in every panel, apart from the obvious attempt to copy the styling.

Saviems today

michel:
Albatros Karpetan was built by Lerma Autobastidores Industriales from 1963 to 1968 in Zaragoza with Perkins or Henschel engines.

Nazar was also built in Zaragoza from 1957 to 1967 by Factoria Napoles with Perkins engines, they also built buses and were bought by Barreiros. Some are preserved in Spain.

Merci again for the info Michel, much appreciated!

Fergie47:
Saviems today

Any of those firms still in business Senior?

Fergie47:
Saviems today

Hi Dave, With regard to the above Saviem pictures, I remember that around late 1970, or early 1971,
Robert Baillie at Horndean had a Saviem on demo for a couple of weeks. I happened to drive it just
once when it arrived on night trunk at Baillies Wigan depot, loaded with cauliflower and parsley from
Brittany. I only went as far as Liverpool wholesale fruit & veg market with it, but compared with the
Atkinsons that I was used to, it was like driving a Rolls Royce. It was a sleeper cab with double bunk,
and the 6 speed gearbox was a column change under the steering wheel, I think there was a splitter
box switch on the gear lever. I have just had a thought, could it have been a Berliet ■■. :confused: :confused:
The Breton jug in the picture is what I bought on my first ever trip to Brittany in 1985, delivering to
campsites owned by Eurocamp.

Take care and keep safe. Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Fergie47:
Saviems today

Hi Dave, With regard to the above Saviem pictures, I remember that around late 1970, or early 1971,
Robert Baillie at Horndean had a Saviem on demo for a couple of weeks. I happened to drive it just
once when it arrived on night trunk at Baillies Wigan depot, loaded with cauliflower and parsley from
Brittany. I only went as far as Liverpool wholesale fruit & veg market with it, but compared with the
Atkinsons that I was used to, it was like driving a Rolls Royce. It was a sleeper cab with double bunk,
and the 6 speed gearbox was a column change under the steering wheel, I think there was a splitter
box switch on the gear lever. I have just had a thought, could it have been a Berliet ■■. :confused: :confused:
The Breton jug in the picture is what I bought on my first ever trip to Brittany in 1985, delivering to
campsites owned by Eurocamp.

Take care and keep safe. Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray…hope you’re well and keeping safe…

I had a demonstrator Saviem, probably mid seventies from a dealer in either Dorset or Wiltshire, memory is fading…had it for three days, like the one you had, twin bunks column chance with splitter, quiet and comfortable, I think it was £9000 or thereabouts…i decided against it and bought an second hand F89…think it was a wise decision…

Way back in the early part of this thread I posted the above and even John (Saviem) said it was a good call, and he sold them, but he only liked the bigger later ones including the V8.

All a long time ago now…45 years or more…

pv83:

Fergie47:
Saviems today

Whips…only one I really know was V.I.T. and they are definitely long gone, our friend Swiss Dave knows the history well, as one of his friends has rebuilt a Saviem similar to that photo.

The rest of them…not sure, but the way things have gone in this industry I doubt few have survived, sadly …

Fergie47:

pv83:

Fergie47:
Saviems today

Whips…only one I really know was V.I.T. and they are definitely long gone, our friend Swiss Dave knows the history well, as one of his friends has rebuilt a Saviem similar to that photo.

The rest of them…not sure, but the way things have gone in this industry I doubt few have survived, sadly …

Afternoon Dave,
I hope Liz and yourself are well and behaving?
This lockdown is becoming a pain as that Whippersnapper is becoming unruly, you want to see the filthy pics he has put on my FB page, he knows I don’t like Merc trucks!
Take Care and stay safe

oops double post :blush: