Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:

Froggy55:
Just discovered a minute ago on a French Forum. Dutch-made Hogra trucks; I had never heard of that brand before. They look finely built.

Hiya Froggy, now this certainly rang a bell mate, I read an article about Hogra last year, very interesting indeed, I’ll cough up the info I can remember (bear with me, I’m getting older too…)

N.V. Hogra Automobielfabriek, established in 1954 in the South of Holland, main man was Antonie Willem van Hoek and together with his business partner Gravelaar (HO-coming from Hoek, GRA, coming from Gravelaar) they set up their own business after having worked for nearly two decades for the Magirus dealership.

The first Hogra lorry was introduced in 1954, operated in the 7t market and had a Perkins R6 engine, axles and gearboxes came from Moss, later on the choice was made to fit ZF-5 speed 'boxes. All the parts were bought in (engine, gearbox, axles) it’s not sure if the cab was made in-house though.

New series was introduced in 1955 and was fitted with a Perkins P6-80 engine, around that same time they were able to get hold of an export order containing 150 lorries to be shipped out to South America (wonder if any of those survived…?)

In 1957 yet another new serie was to be introduced, the H7S and was fitted with a Steyr engine.
Due to too much competition and a small production line, production ceased in 1959, it’s to be believed that between '54 and '59 400 to 500 Hogra’s were built.

Thanks, Dave. The Perkins P6 was certainly not too strong to move a 3-axle truck! In France, it was widelu used to repower ex- WW II trucks likes GMCs with diesels. The Hogra cab has a family look with MAN cabs of the '60s.

Paul John:

pete smith:
A nice little Saviem parked in Scaer,

Nice photo there Pete. Great backdrop very French village Scaer.
I spent a fair big of time there back in 1990/91. We had some dedicated loads out of the poultry factory just outside the village, mostly fresh to Ready Roasted in Aberdare. Everyone there was friendly.
Just a short trip to Roscoff, otherwise up to Cherbourg.
Fergie may remember if it was Burgoines!

Paul… If the factory you went to was on the edge of the town just off the Chateauneuf-du-faou road, then it closed around 2005 /06…There is now a huge one on the Gourin to Scaer road along side the airfield “Les volailles de Keranna” it’s a big operation. “Doux” is the biggest chicken producers in Britagne, with several factories in Finistère, and a huge export market however, there is a decline, and they have made redundancies this year…one of them is a friend of ours who has been there over 32 years… If you ever got to the town when you were here, it has changed very little, you’d still recognise it I’m sure, a few bars restaurants, and cafes remain, just, and a lot of shops closing up, but that seems the norm for Europe at the moment…

Fergie47:

Paul John:

pete smith:

I spent a fair big of time there back in 1990/91. We had some dedicated loads out of the poultry factory just outside the village, mostly fresh to Ready Roasted in Aberdare. Everyone there was friendly.

Paul… If the factory you went to was on the edge of the town just off the Chateauneuf-du-faou road, then it closed around 2005 /06…There is now a huge one on the Gourin to Scaer road along side the airfield “Les volailles de Keranna” it’s a big operation. “Doux” is the biggest chicken producers in Britagne, with several factories in Finistère, and a huge export market however, there is a decline, and they have made redundancies this year…one of them is a friend of ours who has been there over 32 years… If you ever got to the town when you were here, it has changed very little, you’d still recognise it I’m sure, a few bars restaurants, and cafes remain, just, and a lot of shops closing up, but that seems the norm for Europe at the moment…

Morning Dave,
That new factory, was it the one we passed with the motors waiting to get on the weighbridge?
Not much was happening in Scaer the other Sunday when my tongue was hanging out! Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Morning Dave,
That new factory, was it the one we passed with the motors waiting to get on the weighbridge?
Not much was happening in Scaer the other Sunday when my tongue was hanging out! Cheer’s Pete

That’s the one Pierre, …Sundays in most villages are pretty quiet, unless they’re on the tourist route. …should have taken a flask !!

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Morning Dave,

That’s the one Pierre, …Sundays in most villages are pretty quiet, unless they’re on the tourist route. …should have taken a flask !!

Sod the flask, had 20 ■■■■ so well prepared!

pete smith:

I give up on you…just leave me that old Albion and pink tractor when you snuff it, through smoking and alcohol poisoning… :unamused:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

I give up on you…just leave me that old Albion and pink tractor when you snuff it, through smoking and alcohol poisoning… :unamused:

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Too late Dave, Whips has put his name down last week for them… I wondered why he kept buying ■■■■ for me!

Fergie47:

Paul John:

pete smith:

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. It was the Les Volailles de Keranna site I loaded out of. A motor cycle club used to hold sprints out on the airfield. I did load once out of another factory which did turkeys only, it had a lake behind it and iirc it was on a hill north east of Scaer. Perhaps that’s the one which closed down.
I used to be in Scaer at least once if not twice a week and weekended every second week. I would bobtail into the village and park by the church with a cafe/restaurant and pizzera on the main street. Weekends, off to the beach.
As previously mentioned workers at the factory were great, you could park your trailer there, wash it out and use the showers. In the week you could use the canteen for breakfast and lunch. Party time on the overnight boat, looking back it was a working vacation.
Hopefully Pete had a good time out there.

Paul John:

Fergie47:

Paul John:

pete smith:

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. It was the Les Volailles de Keranna site I loaded out of. A motor cycle club used to hold sprints out on the airfield. I did load once out of another factory which did turkeys only, it had a lake behind it and iirc it was on a hill north east of Scaer. Perhaps that’s the one which closed down.
I used to be in Scaer at least once if not twice a week and weekended every second week. I would bobtail into the village and park by the church with a cafe/restaurant and pizzera on the main street. Weekends, off to the beach.
As previously mentioned workers at the factory were great, you could park your trailer there, wash it out and use the showers. In the week you could use the canteen for breakfast and lunch. Party time on the overnight boat, looking back it was a working vacation.
Hopefully Pete had a good time out there.

I had a cracking time there Paul, beautiful part of the world, even the company I kept was good :smiley:

A classic French truck of the 1960s with this Berliet TRK 10 belonging to the Onatra fleet.

Froggy55:
A classic French truck of the 1960s with this Berliet TRK 10 belonging to the Onatra fleet.

The epitome of a French wagon from that era…looks good, well balanced unit and trailer…I can remember what the Brits were driving around in those days, :blush:

The TRK 10 developed 180 bhp (SAE) and could stick to 75-80 kph on a flat stretch. But do not forget that, in the early '60s, trucks dating from te immediate post-WW II were still on the roads, some of them dragging 35 tonnes with only 120 bhp!

I think this is a this is a Saviem 8 T, but my knowlege is very limited.

You’re right, or almost right; it is a Saviem SM 8 T probably powered by a 110 bhp Saviem 797 engine (6 cyl; 5,4 litres). Certainly anything but exciting to drive!

Froggy55:
You’re right, or almost right; it is a Saviem SM 8 T probably powered by a 110 bhp Saviem 797 engine (6 cyl; 5,4 litres). Certainly anything but exciting to drive!

Thanks Froggy55.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

How about these… quality is a bit poor due to reflecting light bulbs…

pv83:
How about these… quality is a bit poor due to reflecting light bulbs…

I like the “kojak weather slick” tyre on the drive axle!

The Bernard is back after a repair at Photoshop garage.

Froggy55:
The Bernard is back after a repair at Photoshop garage.

Cheers Froggy, looks much better now, I can even see what Pete was on about… no MOT in them days eh… :laughing: