Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:

Froggy55:
Its roof looks like the one of the Pegasos of the sixties; strange… The wheels look rather Germanic than Italian, and not so sure about the RHD. The general shape of the cab would make it a Mercedes or Magirus 1955-60, but…

Here’s a Pegasos from the '60’s… Similar trucks I’ve got pics of are Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Renault, Maggie and Merc…Similar, but definitely not the same… :wink:

Not the same…but still a stunning looking little motor :wink:

Found another pic…angle isn’t very helpfull again… :unamused: :wink:

Couldn’t it be a Mercedes perchange? The rear windows don’t seem to fit with the Deutz…?

Like the old Maggies, air cooled engine, no rad / hose / water problems, V10 had lots of power, could change a cylinder / barrel on the side of the road, spacious cab for the time, what’s not to like…well fuel consumption I guess, some of the older V8 would see the low side of 5mg when pushed, some say even lower …

magirus310.JPG

3246285796_1_3_17vUiNzv.jpg

It’s not a lorry, but its old, and abandoned…Anchored south of Brest in a backwater and about an hours run from me, these were looked after over the years and used for spare parts, however, they became obsolete years ago, and in the last decade they have deteriorated badly as the Navy no longer has any use for them.

Fergie47:
Like the old Maggies, air cooled engine, no rad / hose / water problems, V10 had lots of power, could change a cylinder / barrel on the side of the road, spacious cab for the time, what’s not to like…well fuel consumption I guess, some of the older V8 would see the low side of 5mg when pushed, some say even lower …

5mg…? That good? I’ve seen different (lower) numbers on more modern wagons mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

love the 4th pic, shows indeed how strong they were…

Fergie47:
It’s not a lorry, but its old, and abandoned…Anchored south of Brest in a backwater and about an hours run from me, these were looked after over the years and used for spare parts, however, they became obsolete years ago, and in the last decade they have deteriorated badly as the Navy no longer has any use for them.

Bit of a sorry sight isn’t it…

Some time ago the low positioned cabs were discussed and our dear departed friend remembered he’d seen a DAF owned by Baetsen once with that set-up…it took me a while and it makes me sad that John isn’t among us anymore to comment on it, bit I’ve finally found the unit in question…

pv83:

Couldn’t it be a Mercedes perchange? The rear windows don’t seem to fit with the Deutz…?

It’s a Mercedes, a LPS315 to be exact. I wouldn’t put too much weight on the little details, since this is Mercedes’ first forward control design and the cabs were essentially coachbuilt and differ from one to another. This one in particular also has a modified roof adapted to hauling cranes as seen in the second picture.

barreiros:

pv83:

It’s a Mercedes, a LPS315 to be exact. I wouldn’t put too much weight on the little details, since this is Mercedes’ first forward control design and the cabs were essentially coachbuilt and differ from one to another. This one in particular also has a modified roof adapted to hauling cranes as seen in the second picture.

The power of the internet, someone will know the answer…nice one :wink:

pv83:
Some time ago the low positioned cabs were discussed and our dear departed friend remembered he’d seen a DAF owned by Baetsen once with that set-up…it took me a while and it makes me sad that John isn’t among us anymore to comment on it, bit I’ve finally found the unit in question…

Nice one Patrick. Quite a guru when it comes to finding unusual lorry models.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Fergie47:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the Magirus photo’s,here is one of mine at the French side of the Frejus, and one of Angie at St Jean de Maurenne digging herself out.

Hope you and Liz are well,did you go and see Yvette at the Creperie we went to today ? as it is Pancake Day :wink: :wink:

Regards
Richard

Fergie47:

barreiros:

pv83:

The power of the internet, someone will know the answer…nice one :wink:

Aah cheers barreiros! I knew someone would come up with the definite answer sooner or later… :wink:

jsutherland:

pv83:

Nice one Patrick. Quite a guru when it comes to finding unusual lorry models.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Anything but Johnny… :blush: :blush: :wink:

Couple of… well, let’s see who recognise these ones… and I do know the answer to this one for a change…

3.jpg

2.jpg

0c3fd935752815d22d7104173f100a51.jpg

8030236249_01da218ebe.jpg

7010348427_456c0567df.jpg

MaggieD:

Fergie47:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the Magirus photo’s,here is one of mine at the French side of the Frejus, and one of Angie at St Jean de Maurenne digging herself out.

Hope you and Liz are well,did you go and see Yvette at the Creperie we went to today ? as it is Pancake Day :wink: :wink:

Regards
Richard

Stunning wagon there Richard!

MaggieD:

Regards
Richard

We did, and she asked after you, she wanted to know if my father was still alive, as the last time she saw you, you looked a bit dodgy…I said you were fine,… just had a hard life… :wink:

Fergie47:

MaggieD:

Regards
Richard

We did, and she asked after you, she wanted to know if my father was still alive, as the last time she saw you, you looked a bit dodgy…I said you were fine,… just had a hard life… :wink:

Thank you Dave,did she ask after your daughter Liz ?

Regards
Richard

Hope you had a Complet there Dave , my favourite.

pv83:
Couple of… well, let’s see who recognise these ones… and I do know the answer to this one for a change…

That’s too easy, those are all Kromhouts, except one. The Van Wezel truck (first in second post) is a one-off bespoke build by A.S. (Automobielfabriek Schmidt) on a Diamond-T chassis with a 200HP 6 cyl. ■■■■■■■ powerplant and Roadranger transmission.