Saturday work

Hi all…

So I was a class 2 driver for a couple of weeks then one thing led to another and now I cannot drive full time for now… which is a shame :frowning:
Don’t worry it’s not anything to do with the law… so I’ve had to go back to my previous job as a forklift driver…

My question is around my way I see a bit of Saturday work which I am looking into it but still not quite sure how I work it…
Before heading down this route I wanted to ask here a couple of questions…

Does anyone else only drive weekends? whilst working Monday to Friday how does it work with the tacho?

I’m guessing you can only work every other Saturday due to the weekly rests? (as I’ll be working full time during the week)
also tacho hours for manual entries now I was told by my previous employer (I won’t mention names) just select No when you start (which I’m sure isn’t correct?) would I have to manual entry for my guessing ‘other work’ for Monday - Friday or can I do the whole week as ? but maybe take a written dairy maybe of what I have done?

steve90uk:
Hi all…

So I was a class 2 driver for a couple of weeks then one thing led to another and now I cannot drive full time for now… which is a shame :frowning:
Don’t worry it’s not anything to do with the law… so I’ve had to go back to my previous job as a forklift driver…

My question is around my way I see a bit of Saturday work which I am looking into it but still not quite sure how I work it…
Before heading down this route I wanted to ask here a couple of questions…

Does anyone else only drive weekends? whilst working Monday to Friday how does it work with the tacho?

I’m guessing you can only work every other Saturday due to the weekly rests? (as I’ll be working full time during the week)

Quite a few people work as HGV drivers part time while continuing with other full time jobs.

How often you could legally work depends on your hours and what time you get off at weekends, most people can legally work one day every second week because of the required weekly rest period.

Whether or not you choose to tell anyone about the job you do in the week and just do one day a fortnight is of course a decision only you can make :wink:

steve90uk:
also tacho hours for manual entries now I was told by my previous employer (I won’t mention names) just select No when you start (which I’m sure isn’t correct?) would I have to manual entry for my guessing ‘other work’ for Monday - Friday or can I do the whole week as ? but maybe take a written dairy maybe of what I have done?

Don’t try putting a whole weeks work into the tachograph, it’s not necessary and there’s a high likelihood of mistakes, not to mention how long it would take.

As you have said, when you’ve been working in your full time job then do a HGV driving shift you should record the time between the card being ejected and reinserted as ?.

Legally in weeks that you drive to EU regulations you should record the full time job shifts as other work on either charts or printouts, however several people have said that they’ve been told by DVSA officials that a written record in a notebook/diary will suffice, I can’t comment on whether or not that’s correct but it would make sense.

Thanks for the quick response!
I will look into it then, would make so much more sense to be able to note it down in a dairy because as you said it would take forever to enter every break, working etc etc for the fortnight as I work 8 hours a day Monday to Thursday and 4 on Friday… so I’m guessing doing it every fortnight as working Saturday will be classed as a short weekly rest the other will be at least 48hrs to even it out…

Thanks again!

If you only work four hours on a Friday it may be possible for you to do a shift every week and still fit in a 45 hour rest period, but probably not if you want to work day shifts on Saturdays.

Apart from that, legally you can only have a reduced weekly rest period every second week so that’s why you could not work every Saturday, well not legally anyway.

By the way, I perhaps should have been clearer before but for days that you don’t drive HGVs you only need to record the start and finish times, it’s just to show that you have the required daily rest periods on days that you drive and the required weekly rest period, for the drivers regulations you don’t need to record breaks on days that you don’t drive HGVs.

steve90uk:
Thanks for the quick response!
I will look into it then, would make so much more sense to be able to note it down in a dairy because as you said it would take forever to enter every break, working etc etc for the fortnight as I work 8 hours a day Monday to Thursday and 4 on Friday… so I’m guessing doing it every fortnight as working Saturday will be classed as a short weekly rest the other will be at least 48hrs to even it out…

Thanks again!

A thought on this.
If you are only doing 4 hours on a Friday, maybe lunch time finish, then that would surely mean that you could do 11 hrs that afternoon/evening, using the start time off your regular FT driver shift as the end off daily rest. Then take a 9 hr daily rest and do the Saturday shift aswell, Following weekend you could still do the Friday afternoon/evening, and still get enough weekly rest in. Though this may not fit with your present circumstances, but it would be interesting to see if this would be allowed :wink:

I see what you mean… Sounds like it should work…
Definatly worth me looking into would be ideal.

Thanks for pointing that one out :slight_smile:

tachograph:
By the way, I perhaps should have been clearer before but for days that you don’t drive HGVs you only need to record the start and finish times, it’s just to show that you have the required daily rest periods on days that you drive and the required weekly rest period, for the drivers regulations you don’t need to record breaks on days that you don’t drive HGVs.

How does this fit with the RTD/WTD 48 hr week. If you don’t show breaks such lunch break, or tea breaks, would they not assume that you have done a straight 8 hours, and this be calculated towards your 48 hrs. When in reality you’d probably take a 30 minute meal break in an 8 hr shift (in a wharhouse type job, such as a flt driver) , so then only 7.5 hrs should be recorded for the working time regs :question:

eddie snax:

tachograph:

How does this fit with the RTD/WTD 48 hr week. If you don’t show breaks such lunch break, or tea breaks, would they not assume that you have done a straight 8 hours, and this be calculated towards your 48 hrs. When in reality you’d probably take a 30 minute meal break in an 8 hr shift (in a wharhouse type job, such as a flt driver) , so then only 7.5 hrs should be recorded for the working time regs :question:

Informing the company you usually work for is another issue, the records for the work days discussed here are only to establish that you’ve complied with the daily/weekly rest periods.

Legally you’re required to inform your employer of any work you do for another company so they can track your working time for the working time regulations 1998, I agree though that you would inform your employer of any breaks, however bear in mind that the 48 hour average for the working time regulations 1998 (general WTD) can be opted out of.

Anyone working to EU regulations one day a fortnight won’t be affected by the 48 hour average for the RT(WT)R, you’re just not going to accumulate enough hours.

eddie snax:
A thought on this.
If you are only doing 4 hours on a Friday, maybe lunch time finish, then that would surely mean that you could do 11 hrs that afternoon/evening, using the start time off your regular FT driver shift as the end off daily rest. Then take a 9 hr daily rest and do the Saturday shift aswell, Following weekend you could still do the Friday afternoon/evening, and still get enough weekly rest in. Though this may not fit with your present circumstances, but it would be interesting to see if this would be allowed :wink:

If I’m understanding correctly, the problem with that is that if you use the start time of the FLT job as the end of the daily rest it only leaves another 11 hours for a HGV shift, and that includes getting to the job ec’t.

I agree though that as long as the rest before the Saturday FLT job was at-east nine hours it’s certainly legal and possible, but finding the right HGV job to allow that to work could be a problem I would have thought :slight_smile: :wink: