SatNav Suggestions?

Right, thanks to a bash on the M25 a month ago, I have been punished.

The new trucks have arrived and my nice new Renault Premium 18t has been given to one of the 7.5t drivers. My old DAF LF 18t is to be off hired so I have now found myself in the position of being an Artic driver in a ■■■■■■■ 7.5t.

I have nothing against drivers of 7.5s, after a day in London doing multi-drops I have an even greater respect for them than I had yesterday, and I knew I couldn’t do their job then!

The problem I have is that my beloved DAF, (The internet doesn’t do sarcasm well does it?) managed to kill my trucknav, then it managed to cause my 2 year old car nav to explode, with flames and smoke and swearwords and everything. So I am now using a Mk1 TomTom Go.

It is crap for London I can tell you that.

Thats the long intro, now for the question. As a puddle jumper driver what do I do for a NavGav? I can’t update the mapping on the current device, they don’t make updates for it anymore. Do I buy a decent car nav for 80-90 or do I wait until I can afford a decent TruckNav, which would you recommend. The third option is to upgrade the mobile to one with a bigger screeen and put on the £99 renault trucks Navi app?

Answers on a postcard please. Oh and the new truck is a Midlum 7.5t with a horrific auto box. I would rather walk to London each day.

Save for a proper truck nav, you may as well get the right tool for the job. In the mean use a map as well, if you’re really lucky you might be able to plan the route the night before?

get a second hand 510,710 or 910 and download the truck maps and navcore.not too hard to do,should get one off ebay cheap.

Save for a proper trucknav,

As I have said before and I will repeat, get the Tom Tom 5150 free lifetime updates and it’s never sent me down a road which I shouldn’t have gone or under any low bridges.

I have used all the navmans and snoopers and I hated them.

Get yourself on ebay I bought a tom tom go 730 with latest 2013 truck maps for £70 and it hasn’t put me wrong yet you can program your height weight length then off you go :smiley:

I agree save and get a proper truck nav

Again save for a proper one, but dont expect it to guide you round london, you’ll need a decent map for that.

For London you cannot (imho) do better than A-Z route planner (about £6.99) & large scale Phillips or A-Z London street atlas (about £16 iirc)
combined with a bridge height atlas they’ll get you wherever you need to be without any hassle or reliance upon unreliable GPS or vehicle electrics.

The A-Z is in the top storage locker.

The big arsed truckers atlas is about to be ordered from Amazon.

The SatNav is one, for when I go somewhere I don’t have a map for, (apparently I will occaisionally have to turn left when I get to the M1 rather than right for London) and to give voice instructions so that I am not looking at the lowloader in front, the bloody stupid Barclays bike on my inside, the lights, the plod and the A-Z all at the same time.

Oh, one other question, do you think Ill go to prison for long if I commit Cyclicide?

Cyclicide should be compulsory.
Extra days holiday for every act commited :wink:

I have the Snooper S7000. It hates London due to the timed restrictions on routes. To get around that i have to set it to car mode and by the time i get there switch to truck mode.
The tv is good.And you can set 16 multidrops in it and Adr routes.
Live traffic updates to avoid road closures and diversions.

toby1234abc:
I have the Snooper S7000. It hates London due to the timed restrictions on routes. To get around that i have to set it to car mode and by the time i get there switch to truck mode.
The tv is good.And you can set 16 multidrops in it and Adr routes.
Live traffic updates to avoid road closures and diversions.

The Trucknav that my old truck killed was a Snooper S900 Pro. I wont touch Snooper again, the only thing worse than their build quality was their customer service.

Truck 5150 is probably the best tomtom i’ve got one. The guy told me it’s the best one better than truck 7150 and 7100 .Free updates for life .ebay.co.uk/bhp/tomtom-5150-truck

Can anyone tell me if TomTom Truck 5150 supports proper “Itinerary Planning” like the older units? i.e. can you input a dozen or more drop locations at the start of the day and have the thing navigate to each one in turn? Or do you have to fudge it by creating a list of “favourites” or POIs first?

Roymondo:
Can anyone tell me if TomTom Truck 5150 supports proper “Itinerary Planning” like the older units? i.e. can you input a dozen or more drop locations at the start of the day and have the thing navigate to each one in turn? Or do you have to fudge it by creating a list of “favourites” or POIs first?

Yes you can. But that’s being ruddy idle FFs.

At xmas I bought a 7inch truck sat nav from China, on ebay. To say I was sceptical is an understatement, but so far its awesome. I think its a reverse engineered ‘big name’ sat nav. Has all the usual features, height, weight and length, lane guide, points of interest…
It.was in US dollars, but worked out at £56!!! The eBay seller was trocmall. Since I bought mine, 3 of the boys in work with me have also bought one, with no complaints.

Mollys_Dad:
At xmas I bought a 7inch truck sat nav from China, on ebay. To say I was sceptical is an understatement, but so far its awesome. I think its a reverse engineered ‘big name’ sat nav. Has all the usual features, height, weight and length, lane guide, points of interest…
It.was in US dollars, but worked out at £56!!! The eBay seller was trocmall. Since I bought mine, 3 of the boys in work with me have also bought one, with no complaints.

Welcome Trocmall… :smiley: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Road atlas ,sense of direction and a bit of common sense :bulb:

learnt my way around London with a mk 1 tom tom go,but always checked the route in the a-z.
a map showing the whole of London on one page is useful…I would study this quite often,and eventually you piece all the little bits together.
I now use a more modern version,which I would not recommend.
it`s as though the makers of tom tom are trying to force lorry drivers into paying the added expence for truck specific devises,by sneakily programing their car specific devises…to land you in the ■■■■.