Satnav help for France?!?!

Hello all,
Ive got myself a new job and with it comes some trips to France (my 1st time across the water). I was going to get myself a satnav to give me a hand while im learning the roads. I will be using it along side a road map aswell (well it will be in the cab but im hoping the satnav will do most of the work lol).
The question is do any of you guys use a satnav? and is it worth forking out for the £250+ ones? I want a TomTom due to ease of use and Ive seen you can get the TomTom Classic with western euro maps for £110 delivered or for slightly more the TomTom one at £125 or the one XL for £140. Will these ‘cheaper’ units be any good? I know you cant add vehicle dimensions and weights on the cheaper units but im hoping to not lose all my driving skill by relying on the satnav and not reading road signs lol.
Any advice would be great and please, can this not be turnt into a ‘just use a map’ topic :wink:

I used to do Europe regularly in a sprinter van with a trailer on the back. I always used a TomTom Go 500 in conjunction with a Phillips Europe Atlas, just to make sure it was sending me the right way!! Its well worth getting one as you can update your maps from the TomTom website, just as long as you dont just follow it without checking first!!

I used a Tom Tom One XL but had been doing Europe for many years and didn’t follow it blindly. In France you will find it works well but then smashes you in the teeth when you are not looking. :stuck_out_tongue:

It will take you so far off the beaten track and then build a pretty village with a 3.5 tonne weight limit right in front of you.

If you do get one, turn it off on the approach to Paris

I prefer a laptop using Mappoint/Autoroute with a gps receiver as I can make a caculated decision as to the best route to access a destination!
DO NOT stick a laptop on dash (as per dutch drivers) or you will get fined!

I have read recently that TomTom now do a satnav specifically for trucks,where you can enter your vehicle dimensions (weight,height etc.) and it won’t send you down tiny roads (unless the place you are unloading is down a tiny road),but I have no idea what it costs.

I use a Pioneer AVIC F-500BT,simply because it has a decent size screen that you don’t have to squint at,and it has bluetooth so I can have hands free phone.

Thanks for the heads up about the TomTom one XL, there will be work in the Paris area so dont fancy being stuck in a village lol. It might be worth spending that bit extra for the lorry upgrade then. There might even be a few 2nd hand ones on ebay.

It might even be worth looking at other makes aswell then, but I will have a laptop in the cab aswell so a map programme/google maps could also be worth using…

i have a Mio c520 or 530 i think, can be set to truck user and has all of western europe including restaurants and fuel sites.
very easy to use and easy and free to update on tinternet
michelin maps best for france, if you doing lot of paris there is a map that covers the whole of the area inside the francilliene very useful to buy available in all motorway services

AS posted buy yourself a Michelin Map as well, this will ensure you
do end up where you wish to go when used,

I use a TomTom One, it’s perfectly adequate for the job although I will always ask a passing kermit if I’m not 100% sure about what it suggests.

when i used to do Paris i used Atlas Paris et Banlieue (isbn 206 700 025 x )alongside Michelin sheet 101
i have not been back much since having sat nav but the first time i sat with the A-Z waiting
for Jane to ■■■■ up but i was impressed took me too the door no problems

i wouldnt do any big city without a paper map as a back up
aswith all things its common sense

Cheers for all your suggestions and help from the info you have supplied I shall be getting…
The TomTom Go 520/530 with euro HGV maps from ebay. There going for about £130 refurb, bit of a bargin and a michelin map thats been recommened by a few of you. If I cant find where Im going with those two things in the cab I might aswell give up driving :laughing:

I feel really old now. I still have 2 big bags of A-Z’s, Falkplans and atlases! :open_mouth:

scott42:
I feel really old now. I still have 2 big bags of A-Z’s, Falkplans and atlases! :open_mouth:

Me too, and they are worth zilch on Ebay :frowning:

Take your pick.

uk.cars.yahoo.com/drive-smart/ar … rticle/14/