Satnav charging off USB cable

Anybody got any experience of this ? I only ask as the unit I will have next week has 2 USB sockets instead of a 12v plug so I know the phone and tablet will charge but no idea on the satnav . Will it not charge but run off the power or will it just die ?

No reason why it won’t charge mate.

the maoster:
No reason why it won’t charge mate.

Hope your right otherwise have to stop recheck the map and then google on the phone which I know will charge :slight_smile:

It usually depends on the type of USB port in the vehicle and the cable your using. If the ports are media ports it will likely put the sat nav into PC connection mode. I tried my old Tom Tom in a merc van and it would enter PC connection using the USB port as it was for power and USB playback through the stereo.

If it charges a phone or tablet it’ll charge a satnav

The usb aux socket in the Volvo is powered, will run sat-nav, it’s low powered about 5v.

I had a DAF XF a few weeks ago with a knackered cigar lighter socket, USB was in the front of the radio and not in the dash. It initially powered up my sat nav but didn’t maintain it. I ended up repairing the broken socket. :frowning:

I charge a mobile phone , tom tom and a dashcam…for about two years I was getting problems blowing the fuses on the USB adapter things…tom tom not always charging etc etc.
About 6 months ago I bought an adapter I think it was about 8 or 9 quid…BUT this adapter gives me two cigar lighter holes and one USB port…so I can use the non USB leads for tomtom and dashcam…never had a problem since.

Just because a USB lead has the same looking connector doesn’t mean that it is the same…I found this out connecting my dashcam to my home pc…it only works with the original lead…

Can you not drive without a ■■■■■■■ Sat nav?

Anyone can drive without a satnav, obviously. The same way you can drive without a map or a compass… The same way you could ditch a mobile phone and find a phone box instead.
It’s all about what makes life easier …

happysack:
Can you not drive without a [zb] Sat nav?

I have trucker maps plus maps on phone but as all next week I’ll be going places I’ve not been before getting there is not the problem it’s just the fiddly bit finding the final address and pulling over to check or double check is not th e same as having a sat nav take you straight there .

Heisenberrg:
Anyone can drive without a satnav, obviously. The same way you can drive without a map or a compass… The same way you could ditch a mobile phone and find a phone box instead.
It’s all about what makes life easier …

Indeed. Have a device which can display a map and has almost every street and postcode in the country in it or drive around stopping every so often to ask for directions, following what you’ve scribbled on a bit of paper and hoping you’ve not asked the village idiot.

switchlogic:

That because the USB ports are 5v output, it’s the output amps that vary between 0.5a and 3a, with the majority between 1a-1.5a.

peirre:

switchlogic:

That because the USB ports are 5v output, it’s the output amps that vary between 0.5a and 3a, with the majority between 1a-1.5a.

Indeed, Most tablets needs at least 2a to charge though, so if it charges a tablet it’ll do a Satnav. Actually same with modern iPhones, they need at least 2 amps now too

If it’s a decent satnav it’ll have decent charge protection circuitry. Nothing should blow up or die. USBs outputs are 5V just depends on the current. Apple iPad chargers are 2.1A. Most automotive usbs are 1-2A. Worse case it’ll charge slowly. Failing that you can get external USB battery charging packs. I’ve got one, does a full iPad charge plus some other gadgets. 16000mah.

James the cat:
If it’s a decent satnav it’ll have decent charge protection circuitry. Nothing should blow up or die. USBs outputs are 5V just depends on the current. Apple iPad chargers are 2.1A. Most automotive usbs are 1-2A. Worse case it’ll charge slowly. Failing that you can get external USB battery charging packs. I’ve got one, does a full iPad charge plus some other gadgets. 16000mah.

Good advice. In fact these USB battery packs can be bought for so little these days is worth keeping one topped up in your bag in case of emergencies, I do that.