sat nav

Hi,
Im looking at getting a new sat nav as my 7 year old tom toms screen has just about gone.
I want one for both my trucking job and using in the car. The truck tom toms, snooper etc are really pricey. I came accross HGV solutions and they’re pro cab software. So im thinking of buying a new £80 tom tom and then buying there software. Does anyone have any experience of this software or advice on a reasonably priced truck sat nav.

Kind of mate Ive got a tomtom go with truck software card and its ok its now my backup satnav its got some silly glitches thats annoyed me like I had to enter a house number with the postcode and when you haven’t got a house number it gets rather annoying and you can end up the wrong side of the road if its a long road or has a bridge in the middle it can be a problem… but I dont know if there new ones are like this ! so I took the plunge and brought a snooper truckmate S2500 I think thats the model there cheaper one it cost me about £250 uk Ireland and all EU maps on it with Lifetime free updates and to be honest its fantastic I love it and I think im going to save up and get the all singing S8000… in my experience I would say spend the extra you wont be disappointed I could go on for ages about all the little details but this post is getting long lol so if you want to know anything reply or inbox me hope this helps

Cheers for the reply samstone,
Im in danger of over researching again… its getting confusing theres tom toms on ebay like the 720 and 730 that the seller says they are truck ones, however when i google those models it say they are car ones…
Sounds like i need to start saving

simonglovers09:
Hi,
Im looking at getting a new sat nav as my 7 year old tom toms screen has just about gone.
I want one for both my trucking job and using in the car. The truck tom toms, snooper etc are really pricey. I came accross HGV solutions and they’re pro cab software. So im thinking of buying a new £80 tom tom and then buying there software. Does anyone have any experience of this software or advice on a reasonably priced truck sat nav.

As far as I’m aware HGV Solutions Pro Cab is just a set of POI’s that you could probably download for free if you tried.

It does not set or find routes it simply tells you of any POI’s that are on the route, at £50+ it seems expensive for a set of POI’s.

To be honest i only really want it for the last part of the journey, finding the pick up or tipping point, as i have the philips truck road atlas and i can plan a route no problem. I dont really want to spend £350 needlessly when a tom tom xl with the height restrictions ets added on an sd card will do just as good a job with a bit of common sense.

Buy a second hand Tomtom 520, 730 or something like that and put the truck navcore and map on an SD card, you’ll get a used Tomtom for around £80ish and the truck navcore and map can be had for nothing from GPSunderground or Navitotal.

Google gpsunderground or navitotal :wink:

i have a pro nav 330, designed for truckers/buses/professional drivers.

it gives the ability to input the dimensions of the vehicle you are driving such as height, weight, width, length etc… and if you have a restricted hazard load and it then plans a route for you.

touch wood, to date it has never sent me wrong, even postcode (which can cover a larger area) has always got the to the front door of a depot/yard with no issues. it is accurate and can have add ons to include europe or further if required.

it cost me about £150 from fonebitz at the service station, however if you want a 2nd hand one, ebay has a load, there are a couple of newer models out compared to the one i have, plus i keep getting an email from pronav to buy a newer model and getting 2 for £150!

these can also be programmed for your car, motorhome, coach, lorry, caravan… anything on the road basically.

I start my new job Monday I’d been made redundant in January and decided to do my class 1, I got my class 2 in 03 but have never driven anything any bigger than a sprinter. I was with my previous employer for 18 yrs and 14 of those were as the delivery/collection driver. I know my way around Britain really well but obviously I’ve only ever drove a van. Can any of you guys offer any advice on what to do and what kind of things I’m going to need for nights out. My new role will include driving both class 1 & class 2 trucks but until a truck becomes availble for me to claim as my own I have to go out in what evers in the yard. I’m really grateful of this opportunity to gain some experience but I’m equally as nervous because I have never driven trucks before. My driving license and driver card came today but I haven’t got a clue how to use the driver card. Any advice you guys have will be gratefully received. My new boss has told me to expect a least 1 night out each week and it could be 2. Thanks for trading this longish message.

The Wanderers Wolf:
I start my new job Monday I’d been made redundant in January and decided to do my class 1, I got my class 2 in 03 but have never driven anything any bigger than a sprinter. I was with my previous employer for 18 yrs and 14 of those were as the delivery/collection driver. I know my way around Britain really well but obviously I’ve only ever drove a van. Can any of you guys offer any advice on what to do and what kind of things I’m going to need for nights out. My new role will include driving both class 1 & class 2 trucks but until a truck becomes availble for me to claim as my own I have to go out in what evers in the yard. I’m really grateful of this opportunity to gain some experience but I’m equally as nervous because I have never driven trucks before. My driving license and driver card came today but I haven’t got a clue how to use the driver card. Any advice you guys have will be gratefully received. My new boss has told me to expect a least 1 night out each week and it could be 2. Thanks for trading this longish message.

No offence intended mate but this thread has nothing to do with driver cards, please start a new thread or read the threads that already exist on the subject.

No offence taken, sorry to have bothered your sat nav lobby.

tachograph:

simonglovers09:
Hi,

As far as I’m aware HGV Solutions Pro Cab is just a set of POI’s that you could probably download for free if you tried.

It does not set or find routes it simply tells you of any POI’s that are on the route, at £50+ it seems expensive for a set of POI’s.

The OH tried the Procab thing for his Garmin. It was a waste of £50.

He (OK we) ended up splashing out on a Snooper db8500 with lifetime UK & EU maps at about £550. He loves it. You can programme in your most used vehicles (it will do cars as well) so if you swap truck sizes it’s very simple to chop and change.

It’s not cheap but with the built in DAB radio and TV it’s also entertainment for nights out. I’ll be getting one before I do any real driving too, I’ve enough to worry about at this stage without worrying about how to get from A to B!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve been offered a tom tom 7000 for a good price. But wondered if anyone knew if I could update the maps for free etc.