sat nav

Anyone have any experience of snooper truckmate sat nav on the continent,just wondering is it any good at keeping to main roads as much as possible.Currently using garmin 765t which is fairly good but still picks some narrow/unsuitable routes.
Any opinions on the snooper system especially in Holland,germany,poland,france,spain.portugal.

Hi,Iuse snooper all the time in NL,Belguim and Gemany.Cannot fault it in any way.Best thing I bought!

I have the snooper truckmate s2000 with european mapping and yes am also well impressed with it,its very good for france,benelux,germany italy although not so good for spain and portugal-its the first sat-nav i have ever bought and at £400 i thought long and hard before buying it but find it great and dont regret buying it at all.

£400 ■■? :open_mouth:

Can’t you get a standard Euro-map sat nav n just download all the info?
That would be about half of that price !!

I use Autoroute on my laptop with a gps receiver, instead of a dedicated sat nav.
I find it routes me pretty well, although every now n then it’ll lead me astray. Because it’s a map, transposed onto a computer, it’s usually fairly obvious that somethings not quite right.

Personally, I think that these machines are so good 99.9% of the time that we get to rely on them and believe them 100% of the time. Then, when we get to that 0.1 when they’ve got it wrong, we carry on till it’s too late. These more sophisticated trucker sat navs will have an even higher success rate, so you’ll be even deeper in the [zb] when the time comes.

Simon:
£400 ■■? :open_mouth:

Can’t you get a standard Euro-map sat nav n just download all the info?
That would be about half of that price !!

I use Autoroute on my laptop with a gps receiver, instead of a dedicated sat nav.
I find it routes me pretty well, although every now n then it’ll lead me astray. Because it’s a map, transposed onto a computer, it’s usually fairly obvious that somethings not quite right.

Personally, I think that these machines are so good 99.9% of the time that we get to rely on them and believe them 100% of the time. Then, when we get to that 0.1 when they’ve got it wrong, we carry on till it’s too late. These more sophisticated trucker sat navs will have an even higher success rate, so you’ll be even deeper in the [zb] when the time comes.

I use autoroute with gps locator as well, far better than sat nav, I did have Snoopers first version of truck sat nav and it was a waste of time (now in bin).

Look on ebay mate, I got a Tomtom 530 with euro maps and HGV maps on a SD card all for £190 (they do the 730 aswell). It is a refurb unit but ive had no probs from it and ive used it in france with no probs (it did once try sending me down a 7.5T road, but you just have to keep your wits about you thats all)

Here is a link to the sellers shop… stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/aristo199 … QQ_armrsZ1

I have autoroute 2006 with gps locator on my laptop and am impressed with it but found it a bit clumsy to set up in a hurry-i find the sat nav more compact,some older drivers say drivers who use sat navs are not real truck drivers but i disagree-i always use a paper map to get from A to B and use the sat nav for the final few km’s to my destination-in this day and age of nearly zero tolerance of drivers hours offences and digi-tachos that rob time of you its a real bonus having the sat nav guiding you straight to your destination.

Want something cheap? Get a cheap TomTom and use your common sense.

I bought the Snooper S7000 a few weeks ago,cost me £430.Three days later I sent it back for a refund.
The map screen kept freezing and the only way to fix it was to switch it off and re-start it.Not much good when you are in the middle of Berlin trying to find an address!The annoying thing was,it happened over 15 times in one day.

The other thing I didn’t like with it was the Nav-Teq mapping.Not as detailed as Tele-Atlas.

I’m another Autoroute fan, just because you can look at it as a map so when things don’t look right you can see before it all goes wrong, the maps are a bit old now so I am thinking of getting mappoint 2009, the student version of course, I have a tom tom, but don’t use it apart from finding addresses when autoroute doesn’t show them. I am not too bothered about truck sat nav as I use my mark one eye ball to see bridges, weight limits, and anything else that can cause problems…So far they have never let me down

jimti:
I’m another Autoroute fan, just because you can look at it as a map so when things don’t look right you can see before it all goes wrong, the maps are a bit old now so I am thinking of getting mappoint 2009, the student version of course, I have a tom tom, but don’t use it apart from finding addresses when autoroute doesn’t show them. I am not too bothered about truck sat nav as I use my mark one eye ball to see bridges, weight limits, and anything else that can cause problems…So far they have never let me down

I couldn’t agree more mate.

Mk1 (standard driver issue) eyeball, 2 of.
Decent quality map, paper or computerised version (or both).

Skip Autoroute 2008, it crashes, frequently, or so I’ve heard.
Mappoint 2009 will be a huge step up, 2007 was a fairly big step up from 2006.

I didn’t think there was an autoroute 2008, it got cancelled for some reason

jimti:
I didn’t think there was an autoroute 2008, it got cancelled for some reason

I think they got some out to the shops, but then stopped it because it caused almost everyones computer to crash. :open_mouth: .

Simon:
[

you can try mappoint 2009 for free here it lets you try it for 3 months, then you have to buy it or delete it

jimti:

Simon:
[

you can try mappoint 2009 for free here it lets you try it for 3 months, then you have to buy it or delete it

I,ve upgraded to map point 2009 student version (of flea bay) :angry: :wink: much better than 2007, and I don’t need to buy/carry street plans or A to Z’s.

if yku take the laptop with you have a look at mapfactor navigator truck9 for europe

alix776:
if yku take the laptop with you have a look at mapfactor navigator truck9 for europe

any good ?

alix776:

The only problem with having the laptop sat on top of your dashboard is,it attracts the attention of the police.
It’s such a large thing to have sitting there and it obscures your vision to a certain degree.
I have seen quite a few driver’s getting fined,or told to remove it,in Germany.Although this seems to stem from the fact that our east-european cousins use it to watch movies as they are driving along.

The Truck-Navigator9 seems good,though quite pricey at around £165.

it is available for pda and they do have a go like device for sale as well i have it on reveiw at the moment and its not bad

KW:

alix776:

The only problem with having the laptop sat on top of your dashboard is,it attracts the attention of the police.
It’s such a large thing to have sitting there and it obscures your vision to a certain degree.
I have seen quite a few driver’s getting fined,or told to remove it,in Germany.Although this seems to stem from the fact that our east-european cousins use it to watch movies as they are driving along.

The Truck-Navigator9 seems good,though quite pricey at around £165.

I mounted my laptop under passenger the seat and linked to a digital tv/monitor from maplins mounted into the dash so no problems,