Sat nav.

Thinking of splashing some cash on a sat nav. Been looking at the tomtom 5150 truck?

If you are on nights out, I would get one with a TV, the Snooper S 8000, is not cheap, but ask for a discount, they are sold at most motorway services.
Enter up to 16 addresses, ideal for multidrops.
Adr planning for tunnels.Live incident and road closure warnings.
Enter the dimensions of the vehicle.
It gets a hissy fit for London, to get round that, swith to car mode, then to truck mode after the ban finishes in certain side roads.
Handsfree phone that is paired up to a mobile.

i use sygic on android. its free and works fine

I’ve had tomtom and snooper and find the snooper a lot better the tomtom sends me down a lot more weight limits and things like that the snooper is a lot more accurate but still a satnav so always use a pinch of commen sense with it.

Rich. I use the sun to navigate. At night I use the stars. I have also been known to track destinations by smell alone.

Its easy,get a run that one of the agency tools go to and follow the aroma of inadequacy.

On a different/more sensible note don’t bother with a 5150,get the 5250(newer version). Its not much more expensive but lots better. Its what the human part of me uses.

Don’t bother with the expense of the tom tom or snooper get the one from tructables for 80squid works just as good.

ebay.co.uk/itm/NozaTec-7-Car … 3a9f08bca7

Agree have both the 5150 and cheap eBay unit for the money and ease of use and value for money buy the eBay sat nav

Can’t beat the ebay product for value for money, but it doesn’t appear to have live traffic available so if that is important to you be aware of its limitations.

I’m impressed with Tomtom’s traffic info and ability to route around problems. It can be handy when running short on hours, or time limited for delivery/collection.

I’ve got the snooper it’s a great bit of kit, bought it off the interwebby was able to spread payments over 3 months just pay first payment with order and its sent straight out and take other payments same day each month from your debit card

I have a Nozatec 7" truck one.
It’s alright I suppose but after you have set your dimensions, if you go past a road you should have turned down you’ll find it re-routing you down the next available route immediately instead of telling you to turn around.
Example…
I had to take a truck into garage for a service from a depot I had never worked out of before and the place was only 1.5 mile away. Missed the TINY little road to turn down (this was right by the way, it’s in the middle of nowhere :stuck_out_tongue:) and although I could see the place on the map, and I could see the next left took me there it re-routed me 16 miles around the area to get me back there.

Oh, and when the sun hits the screen you can’t see anything, and the sounds packed in, and I have to use my old TomTom power lead because the one supplied couldn’t handle 24v properly.

Other than that, yeah, it’s not too shabby :wink:

I’ve got a Garmin trucknav. Hasn’t led me astray yet. But I don’t travel much further than porthmadog downwards or Blackpool upwards.

As said though, don’t follow it blindly. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Kaistar:
I have a Nozatec 7" truck one.
It’s alright I suppose but after you have set your dimensions, if you go past a road you should have turned down you’ll find it re-routing you down the next available route immediately instead of telling you to turn around.
Example…
I had to take a truck into garage for a service from a depot I had never worked out of before and the place was only 1.5 mile away. Missed the TINY little road to turn down (this was right by the way, it’s in the middle of nowhere :stuck_out_tongue:) and although I could see the place on the map, and I could see the next left took me there it re-routed me 16 miles around the area to get me back there.

Oh, and when the sun hits the screen you can’t see anything, and the sounds packed in, and I have to use my old TomTom power lead because the one supplied couldn’t handle 24v properly.

Other than that, yeah, it’s not too shabby :wink:

Ooooh I’ve got all that to look forward to, I also have a nozatec 7", it made a few odd choices which I assumed were silly shortcuts and duly ignored but other than that, it’s kept me out of weight restrictions and away from low bridges so can’t moan too much, definitely worth the £36 from amazon I paid for it. Same as all sat navs, I use it as an aid.

Hi Everyone,

I am about to go for my driving test, and I have had all the ups and downs of being a truck driver. So, if you want to persuade me in thinking again, you think again as I am going for it.

As a beginner, novice, starter, whatever you call newbies, I would love to know what one can go for sat nav wise. I have been looking at the Garmin Dezl 760LMT-D. Now, lets be honest, there are free apps on the market for smart phones, but personally, I stay away from that as you get what you get for free. So money wise, I am looking to spend a few bob.

I will leave this in all of your capable hands. Like to know people’s experiences and choices and why.

Cheers for now

You’re about to go for your test,but have all the ups and down of being a truck driver? Not fully sure what you’re on about.

The Garmin, I’m thinking of getting the Dezl, looks like the best of all the expensive truck navs out there. My cheap one keeps freezing.

seangoing33:
Hi Everyone,

I am about to go for my driving test, and I have had all the ups and downs of being a truck driver.

So you just want the satnav for getting up and down from the cab?

Are you on school holidays?