Sat nav.

Hopefully next week I will pass my c+e, the next question will be a sat nav, the question is… which one would you guys recommend?, been looking at tomtom 5150.

Not a big fan of my Tomtom, sends me down 7.5t roads (18t) and has tried to send me under a 9’9" bridge. Also has a habit of loosing the truck setting and reverting to car, so unless you notice it it then thinks your a car and routes accordingly. If I were buying again I’d try something different.

Seriously do a search on here.There are countless threads on the subject.Personelly i have a cheap and cheerful chinese one.And have no issues with it.Get a good a2z truckers atlas and use your eyeballs to and you won’t go far wrong.

This is the one I use,It works very well and is easy to use

ebay.co.uk/itm/181619707346? … EBIDX%3AIT

DaveB68:
Not a big fan of my Tomtom, sends me down 7.5t roads (18t) and has tried to send me under a 9’9" bridge. Also has a habit of loosing the truck setting and reverting to car, so unless you notice it it then thinks your a car and routes accordingly. If I were buying again I’d try something different.

I’ve got the 5150, it’s never reverted to car setting without me changing the setting. It’s a good sat nav, but not perfect, certainly better than just a car one.

pro drive pd7 if you manage to update it please please let us know But it is really good :slight_smile:

richcfc1:
Hopefully next week I will pass my c+e, the next question will be a sat nav, the question is… which one would you guys recommend?, been looking at tomtom 5150.

I very much recommended Garmin, and they’ve just put out some new models (the Dezl 570 and 770) which are very much improved on the old ones. Never used Snooper or the TruckTables units sometimes mentioned on here, but I have used TomTom’s truck sat-nav and it’s awful; the user interface is dog slow.

There’s a fella on here that sells truck sat navs for about £80,supposed to be the dogs.
I occasionally use a car sat nav,Philips Truck map and a sprinkling of common sense,served me well up to yet :wink:

after passing my class 2 3 weeks ago i’ve ordered a tomtom 5150 and a Philip’s Navigator Trucker’s Britain: Spiral (Road Atlas)… just waiting todo my module 4 then i can start working!

Looks like there is a new Tomtom Truck 8270 that you might want to look at.

The 5150 is old, very laggy with menus and inputs, and the graphics look tired and dated. However, I find it reasonably reliable and only on a few occasions has it let me down with 7.5T weight restriction errors. No satnav is perfect, and Tomtom is as imperfect as the next one, but it gets the job done well enough to be more of an asset than a liability. Live traffic is very handy and pretty accurate, very useful for re-routing round jams.

Ramon123:
There’s a fella on here that sells truck sat navs for about £80,supposed to be the dogs.
I occasionally use a car sat nav,Philips Truck map and a sprinkling of common sense,served me well up to yet :wink:

I’ve got one and must admit it’s very good when I used it.

Since bought a car Garmin, put low bridges overlay on it and it’s been fine. Has the live traffic which I like.

Just need to find width overlay !

That said if I don’t like a road I simply don’t go down it and let it recalculate.

Works very well for me. Have the map as well and does help a lot!!

Oy other thing I do is put all my stops into CoPilot app on phone then tell it to optimise so gives me a pretty good idea of run order.

ORC:

The 5150 is old, very laggy with menus and inputs, and the graphics look tired and dated. However, I find it reasonably reliable and only on a few occasions has it let me down with 7.5T weight restriction errors. No satnav is perfect, and Tomtom is as imperfect as the next one, but it gets the job done well enough to be more of an asset than a liability. Live traffic is very handy and pretty accurate, very useful for re-routing round jams.

The 8270 is a fixed device and cannot be moved from one vehicle to the next. The device that has replaced the 5150 is the 5250 and is a portable device.

ORC:

“The traffic has changed on your route, there is a new route that in 1 minute faster, do you wish to take this route?”

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Tris:

ORC:
“The traffic has changed on your route, there is a new route that in 1 minute faster, do you wish to take this route?”

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That’s what the MUTE button is for… :wink:

I’m pretty sure mine never gives a voice announcement if the alternative route is only 1 minute quicker (you just get a message at the top of the screen, which you tap if you want to take it). Voice announcements only appear to be given if the alternative route would save several minutes.

But anyway, if you find Digital Dorothy’s traffic announcements annoying, you can selectively turn them off.

hgv-trucktables.co.uk/7-inch … at-nav.php

Have just replaced my car sat nav with a Garmin car sat nav also use a bridge hight map & the mark one eyeball

If dont like the look of a road or it say 7.5t dont go down it read the road